Revlon Charlie Red

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

Oh what a warm, sexy, sweet woody tuberose scent! This is a lot softer than you might think from the Charlie line--no harsh loudness here at all. It opens on me with a soft blast of violet, a hint of peach, and the sweet tuberose which carries throughout. I get a bit of gardenia and orange blossom, but nothing overly heady as white flowers can sometimes be.
The drydown is all tuberose, amber, woods and musk with a tiny hint of spicy carnation for good measure. This one is a classic, well worth hunting down. It is sexy without being over the top, and I can't stop sniffing myself today!
(crosspost)

on 12/26/2013 10:02:00 PM

On me Charlie Red smells like a more wearable version of White Diamonds. Whereas White Diamonds can be overpowering and has a cool, crisp and almost sharp drydown on me, Charlie Red is much softer and warmer. At the same time it is bright enough to be a party perfume and spicy enough to be a sexy evening perfume. This is incredibly versatile and I feel comfortable just wearing it when I go shopping and knowing I won't overpower the people around me. Having said that, it is tenacious. I find it works best sprayed on my torso under clothes, and brushed through my short hair. I've had numerous compliments when wearing this fragrance so it seems to work with my body chemistry. My only gripe is not with the perfume but with Revlon marketing. In Australia you can only purchase the Charlie perfumes in 100ml bottles. Frankly this means that sometimes the perfume can begin to turn before using it all up, and also it means you can't carry it around for touch ups. I'd dearly love to be able to get it in 15 ml purse size bottles. This review is for the eau de toilette. I have not smelt the body spray.

15 January 2015 Edit: This is fast becoming one of my favourite fragrances. It's summer in Australia and many perfumes are just too heavy for the warmer weather. I find I can wear this one every day, regardless of how hot it is. It never becomes overly sweet or sickly. I've had quite a few compliments when wearing it. Even my mother who is sensitive to fragrance likes it. Moreover it makes me feel pretty and sexy. I love the fact that it is light enough to wear almost anywhere but still makes me feel sexy.

on 8/24/2013 3:02:00 PM

Here are the notes per Fragrantica.com:

Charlie Red by Revlon is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Charlie Red was launched in 1993. Top notes are orange blossom, gardenia, plum, black currant, violet and peach; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orchid, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are honey, sandalwood, amber, musk and cedar.

It sounds like there is a lot (almost too much) going on in this bottle, but it is a surprisingly light and fruity floral that is absolutely fresh and lovely, but literally lasts about 5 minutes on the skin. Such a shame because it really IS pretty and fun. I wouldn't re-purchase but I will enjoy the 3.3.oz. bottle that I got for less than $8.00.

on 7/8/2013 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

EDIT - originally I thought this was rather similar to Giorgio Beverly hills, I agree but it also smells like freshly cleaned carpets in a hotel - whatever they use as an industrial carpet cleaner smells like this. Too sharp/chemically and metallic for me! Gave it away

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this scent. I just wish it lasted longer! I can smell a shadow of the original Charlie in there, but it's very, very light. This is a very easy to wear floral musk with the barest hint of fruit. Not too sweet at all. Very easy to wear and I think would be office friendly. Plus, you can't beat the price. There are some perfumes out there which cost 20 times more than this which aren't as nice.

I received this as a gift a while ago and still haven't really used up the entire bottle. For a lot of people this may be their cup of tea and it's the same with all fragrances - some people like it some people don't. I just don't like it. It's too strong for me, and it kind of reminds me of the smell in an old folks home for some reason? (I'm sure that's just me though.) If you're into really strong womanly smells then I'm sure this will be a nice perfume for you! It's just that it's too strong for my taste. :-)

on 9/26/2011 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this!,this is my favourite out of the charlie fragrances which is so much better than the original which i think is terrible,i have gotten so many compliments on this perfume and i always buy this when i run out. the fragrance itself is more sexier and more sweeter than charlie blue and has brillant staying power,some have compare this to red door but even though red door is ok i find charlie red much better and more sweeter,this is one of my top favourites.

on 8/10/2011 7:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

When I was looking through my mother's old things, I found a bottle of charlie red. I'd heard about this perfume, so I tried some on. At the first whiff, I got an alcoholic smell I associate with 80's perfumes - too strong, notes I couldn't really pick out individually amongst the harsh background and not nice. Then quickly, that wore off and a strong honey smell really started to be revealed as a few minutes went by. It still wasn't very nice, but I decided to persevere.
After around 10 minutes, the peach and the musk broke through, sweetened by a residual honey note. It was lovely, sweet but not really gourmand, quite soft, even slightly powdery. I went to sleep wearing it and woke up still smelling of it 15 hours after application. The smell wasn't so strong that I was constantly aware of it like other perfumes, it came in wafts. Very womanly, very sexy. Just wait for it to develop into that lovely peachy-musk before deciding if you like it or not.

on 2/13/2011 4:13:00 PM

I remember the huge poster of Claudia Schiffer in a gorgeous red silk dress at Myer department store Sydney in the early 90's. The scent wafting in the air and it was wonderful but it didn't persuade me enough to buy it as I was too young to wear this kind of scent. Fast forward to 2011 and I took another sniff. It smells just as wonderful, warm, inviting but not cloying. Got a huge 100ml eau de toilette bottle with a free 50ml thrown in for only $15!. Lasting power on me is about 4 hours, which is the standard for EDT. The bottle is very basic, but the scent is not. Orange blossoms, jasmine, gardenia along with amber and musk.

on 5/18/2010 12:13:00 AM

o.k....this smells like Prell Shampoo on me. A green slightly spicy scent at first. It very quickly dries down to a distinctly soapy smell which truely smells like Prell to me.
This is not a bad scent. It's kind of a blast from the past in the sense that my mother always bought Prell Shampoo when I was little. I kind of like the scent. But I don't really identify it as perfume. I don't really want to smell like shampoo.

Popular Fragrances