August 30, 2014 | 1578 users online

Fragrances - Revlon - Charlie Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by luckylouie

On me Charlie Red smells like a more wearable version of White Diamonds. Whereas White Diamonds can be overpowering and has a cool, crisp and almost sharp drydown on me, Charlie Red is much softer and warmer. At the same time it is bright enough to be a party perfume and spicy enough to be a sexy evening perfume. This is incredibly versatile and I feel comfortable just wearing it when I go shopping and knowing I won't overpower the people around me. Having said that, it is tenacious. I find it works best sprayed on my torso under clothes, and brushed through my short hair. I've had numerous compliments when wearing this fragrance so it seems to work with my body chemistry. My only gripe is not with the perfume but with Revlon marketing. In Australia you can only purchase the Charlie perfumes in 100ml bottles. Frankly this means that sometimes the perfume can begin to turn before using it all up, and also it means you can't carry it around for touch ups. I'd dearly love to be able to get it in 15 ml purse size bottles. This review is for the eau de toilette. I have not smelt the body spray.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Glossaholic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Here are the notes per Fragrantica.com:

Charlie Red by Revlon is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Charlie Red was launched in 1993. Top notes are orange blossom, gardenia, plum, black currant, violet and peach; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orchid, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are honey, sandalwood, amber, musk and cedar.

It sounds like there is a lot (almost too much) going on in this bottle, but it is a surprisingly light and fruity floral that is absolutely fresh and lovely, but literally lasts about 5 minutes on the skin. Such a shame because it really IS pretty and fun. I wouldn't re-purchase but I will enjoy the 3.3.oz. bottle that I got for less than $8.00.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

EDIT - originally I thought this was rather similar to Giorgio Beverly hills, I agree but it also smells like freshly cleaned carpets in a hotel - whatever they use as an industrial carpet cleaner smells like this. Too sharp/chemically and metallic for me! Gave it away

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by standingakimbo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this scent. I just wish it lasted longer! I can smell a shadow of the original Charlie in there, but it's very, very light. This is a very easy to wear floral musk with the barest hint of fruit. Not too sweet at all. Very easy to wear and I think would be office friendly. Plus, you can't beat the price. There are some perfumes out there which cost 20 times more than this which aren't as nice.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by CosmeticMadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I received this as a gift a while ago and still haven't really used up the entire bottle. For a lot of people this may be their cup of tea and it's the same with all fragrances - some people like it some people don't. I just don't like it. It's too strong for me, and it kind of reminds me of the smell in an old folks home for some reason? (I'm sure that's just me though.) If you're into really strong womanly smells then I'm sure this will be a nice perfume for you! It's just that it's too strong for my taste. :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by barbraella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this!,this is my favourite out of the charlie fragrances which is so much better than the original which i think is terrible,i have gotten so many compliments on this perfume and i always buy this when i run out. the fragrance itself is more sexier and more sweeter than charlie blue and has brillant staying power,some have compare this to red door but even though red door is ok i find charlie red much better and more sweeter,this is one of my top favourites.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2011 7:25:00 AM More reviews by MissBusyBee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When I was looking through my mother's old things, I found a bottle of charlie red. I'd heard about this perfume, so I tried some on. At the first whiff, I got an alcoholic smell I associate with 80's perfumes - too strong, notes I couldn't really pick out individually amongst the harsh background and not nice. Then quickly, that wore off and a strong honey smell really started to be revealed as a few minutes went by. It still wasn't very nice, but I decided to persevere.
After around 10 minutes, the peach and the musk broke through, sweetened by a residual honey note. It was lovely, sweet but not really gourmand, quite soft, even slightly powdery. I went to sleep wearing it and woke up still smelling of it 15 hours after application. The smell wasn't so strong that I was constantly aware of it like other perfumes, it came in wafts. Very womanly, very sexy. Just wait for it to develop into that lovely peachy-musk before deciding if you like it or not.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 4:13:00 PM More reviews by diddyscafe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I remember the huge poster of Claudia Schiffer in a gorgeous red silk dress at Myer department store Sydney in the early 90's. The scent wafting in the air and it was wonderful but it didn't persuade me enough to buy it as I was too young to wear this kind of scent. Fast forward to 2011 and I took another sniff. It smells just as wonderful, warm, inviting but not cloying. Got a huge 100ml eau de toilette bottle with a free 50ml thrown in for only $15!. Lasting power on me is about 4 hours, which is the standard for EDT. The bottle is very basic, but the scent is not. Orange blossoms, jasmine, gardenia along with amber and musk.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

o.k....this smells like Prell Shampoo on me. A green slightly spicy scent at first. It very quickly dries down to a distinctly soapy smell which truely smells like Prell to me.
This is not a bad scent. It's kind of a blast from the past in the sense that my mother always bought Prell Shampoo when I was little. I kind of like the scent. But I don't really identify it as perfume. I don't really want to smell like shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2009 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Boha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have a large perfume collection and in the process of moving found a bottle of this. It was the first fragrance I purchased for myself. I was a teen and it was uber cheep. It smelled just as wonderful as I remembered. So I spritzed myself and went on with my day.

I received more compliments on this scent than any other. Ever. It sounds crazy but give it a try. It can be found at most drugstores and walmarts.

It has fruity plum and green top notes with orange flower, jasmine, wood and amber mid notes.