August 20, 2014 | 984 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expert Wear Eye Trio in Chocolate Mousse

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow! So glad I tried this. I was unsure of the rosy brown look, because my eyes can go red, bruised and rabbity in a nano second with the wrong browns or any purples. This is a very pale satiny neutral eye look. Be forewarned this doesn't have a lot of colour, it is useful for a smooth even creamy eye with a hint of colour. It is a glowy satin.

I'm well past 50 and my lids are thin, wrinkly and red. I have pale freckly redhead skin and hazel green eyes. My eyes are deepset, hooded, oily and I have dark circles. I avoid shimmery stuff like the plague! I look for satiny mattes with good coverage that brighten and conceal. I have allergies & eczema so I reast easily especially to eye shadow. MAC & WetNWild, CoverGirl, Dior are bad.

I'm on a Maybelline expert wear kick having hit pay dirt with the No Earthly Taupe, Linen singles and the Browntones duo. NO REACTIONS! Great shadows!

This is another winner. I'm glad of the big highlight/basecoat pan because this is the best cream I have found yet. There IS shimmer but it is so toned down that it doesn't enhance the crepey wrinkly bits, it just lights up my eye socket all over. I could use this as a wash by itself but I tried it with the other 2 shades. It is a golden ivory, darker than Linen but perfect as a low key highlight or pale base.

The lid colour barely shows, it just adds a tiny bit of contour in a soft taupey brown. I could stop there and have a perfect neutral eye that looks like a pro did the blending but I added the crease colour as a liner. It isn't dark enough for that on its own, but layered over a creamy eyeliner to set it is perfect. Both have a tiny bit of shimmer but only enough to give life to them, as they behave more like satin.

This is a perfect trio for a soft easy blending neutral eye. I think it will work best for the NC & NW in the 15 to 25 range of skin tones. True neutral for warm or cool.

Don't fear the slight rosy tones in the case, they don't show up on the skin, same with the shimmer. These are more a satin and the shimmer look will NOT create that horrible shiny lizard look on aging lids.

This is ideal for a clean classic neutral eye that looks pulled together.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 3:17:00 AM More reviews by Paulawaulaa

I got this eye shadow about 7 months ago and all I can say is WOW I love the colors cause I'm really into brown colors cause I feel like it really goes with me and I like doing more natural looks . this is my everyday eye shadow I put it on every where I go .

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by crobertson01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a pretty neutral palette. My biggest complaint is that the lightest shade barely shows up at all. I personally prefer Covergirl's Shimmer Sands to this trio because it's a little more pigmented, and therefore, I feel like I'm getting more for my money.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by lovelyreb

I love how the colors go together! Although not very pigmented, it gave nice shimmer to my lids.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by kathrynannferrel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

One of the best trios I have ever used! With my hair and skin color, often I find even neutral eyeshadows to pull orange or just look too dull on me. But with the lovely Chocolate Mousse trio here, I get an all around soft and beautiful look for a great price!
The lid color is light brown beige with subtle shimmers, and has a sort of mauve undertone to it. It isn't the most pigmented color, but it is good for those looking for a more natural look.
I adore the crease color! I always have thought I should avoid red-brown colors, but this one has taught me otherwise! It blends so perfectly and is a perfect match with the lid color.
The highlighter/base color is your everyday matte cream shade. Nice staying powder, and not too chalky.

However, I did take a lipstick off because I prefer the old trio design to the new. The original version is like the one pictured above, where all the colors come in the same amount, and I even find their quality to be a bit better than that of the newer design. The current version refers to the highlight color as a base now, and is twice the size of the lid and crease color. Fortunately I still own one of the older palettes, but I'm begging Maybelline, PLEASE return to the original design for this trio. I love it so much more!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by tango2470

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this trio for a go to, fool proof, natural eye look with some definition. I reach for this over Covergirl country woods because it has slightly more contrast between the darkest and lightest colors. Maybelline recently reformulated their eyeshadows so if you've tried this previously and weren't impressed, you might like it now. The lightest shade is just light enough to brighten up under my eyebrow, I also like that it is matte, it is nicely pigmented. The second color isn't very pigmented, but OK simply to neutralize the eyelids, and can become more pigmented by layering it over a cream shadow. The darkest shade is a gorgeous, warm, almost rosy brown with a hint of shimmer. I took one lippie off for the lack of pigmentation with the second eyeshadow, otherwise this trio is great!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by ArtisticEyes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like these shadows for everyday use. The pigmentation isn't the strongest, but I find it good for a teen, or maybe a quick photoshoot. The crease color is beautiful in contrast with the base, it reminds me of a chocolate dessert (making Chocolate Mousse a good name for it!) It's overall a lovely trio.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by tkwan96

This is the main eyeshadow trio that I carry around in my makeup bag. The cream color is used as a base and a highlight, and actually shows up brightly on my NC25 skin. The darkest brown is used as an eyebrow filler and can also be used to contour my eyelids. The medium brown is the least touched shade of mine because it only shows up slightly on my lids. I just brush it on all over the lid for a little touch of contrast and shadow after applying eyeliner. They all have a bit of a satiny shimmer to them which I don't mind, and together are a great color combination for everyday wear. Mine has lasted months, except I will not repurchase because I like to try different products after they run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 1:40:00 AM More reviews by babydoll777

FOR REFERENCE: I'm a brunette with dark chocolate eyes and fair skin.

Bought this for 5 bucks (not bad for the price!). I'm only giving it 5 lippies because I'm in love with the dark brown shade. It adds warmth to my eyes and the color reminds me of hot chocolate. You ever notice how the brown color of hot chocolate has a pink undertone to it? That's how this looks like except it also has subtle shimmer to it (satin finish). It's very pretty. =] I start off with matte face makeup and use the cream-ivory shade as a base to brighten my eye area and use the 'hot chocolate' shade over it. I then finish with thickening mascara and sometimes fake eyelashes. The caramel tan shade unfortunately isnít one of my favorites due to its lack of pigmentation. These shadows fade a bit after about 5 hours or less but that's my fault since I'm too lazy to apply eyeshadow primer; I don't mind touching up my makeup but if you do, then I'd recommend a primer. I just dust some translucent powder on my eyelids to prep the area for eyeshadow. The packaging couldíve been better; the plastic lid broke once when I dropped it one day but I was able to fix it and snap it back in place. The sponge applicator is poor quality; only used it for a week and tried to wash it but the sponge ripped. However, it did its job and applied the shadow nicely. Nowadays, I use the MAC #239 brush to apply the eyeshadow and it works just as good except you have to pile it up a bit since itís not as dense. Overall, Iíd definitely repurchase this again and again.

UPDATE (10-15-12): On my second palette and I still like it a lot! But as a college student who has school early in the morning and has only 20 minutes to get ready, it's not exactly "fast makeup." For now, I'm keeping this for special occasions only. Also, my boyfriend complimented me when I decided to wear these eyeshadows (mainly the 'hot chocolate' brown shade) one day. ^__^

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Schonheitsdieb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

The lighter base shade, along with the dark crease colour are my favorites from this eyeshadow trio. However, the lid colour does not show up on my skin tone at all, and just comes out as shimmer.. I would strong recommend using a good primer with these eyeshadows, because the staying power isn't that long.. It fades within a few minutes. I purchased this trio at Shoppers Drug Mart for about $10.. It's quite expensive. I'm not sure if the packaging is that great, because the older design seemed to have given you more product, whereas now the newer one cuts down on the lid and crease colour, and gives you a lot of the base eyeshadow. I will not repurchase, because of the price. Maybe I'll just find dupes for the base and crease shades.