November 22, 2014 | 1704 users online

Hair Treatments - LUSH - Henna - Caca Noir

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Chiming in as an experienced user of BAQ henna and/or pure powdered indigo in various ratios from pure red to black. This is technically a one-step, indigo heavy hendigo gloss. You're probably not going to go black with this until you do it many times, which, if you have long thick hair, is NOT cost effective and a royal pita. The sure fire way to black is a 2 step process: pure powdered BAQ henna first, left to dye release properly first (colors hair red/orange), rinse, pure powdered indigo 2nd, rinse. Black as night hair. Anyway, I've just always been morbidly curious about the caca and thought at the least I'd get a nice DC from the cocoa butter, at the most maybe the elusive blue-black tinge they speak of? So my first shot I grated 1 block with a cheese grater, added some xanthan gum (for ease of application) and salt (to help the indigo stick), added hot water, and applied to my already black (soft black) hair with brown roots. I covered it, contrary to directions ... Common sense just told me to do that. Left in about 4 hrs. Rinse out was a royal pain compared to my 2-step process I use. I COd it out and color change on the root was negligible. 1 block was enuff on my short, DAMP hair. A few days later I though I'd try their way. I chopped into small pieces which was easier than grating and it still dissolved ok in the hot water. This time in addition to the x-gum and salt I added some amla which cools things down and is a great growth treatment. Lo, on my short dry hair, I ran out and had to go do another block (no additives this time). Yes, 2 cubes to cover short hair when it was dry. So this time I left UNcovered for 3 hrs. Aiming for the blue black it suggests. Um no. That hardened helmet was a triple terror to wash out. I used half a large bottle of suave condish. My roots may have gotten darker and I'm hoping will darken more over the next day(s), but blue black - def not. Oh well. I'll use up the 3 cubes and never do it again. Back to the tried and true, cheaper, easier 2 step for my black hair. 2 stars cause I like the concept and it's still nice for the hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by Cplante95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this hoping to color my virgin hair in a natural, healthy way. There's a lot I liked about Lush's Henna and a lot I didn't like. I feel that it worked very well as a conditioning hair treatment. My hair has never been so soft, manageable, and frizz-less. I took a shower yesterday without washing my hair or conditioning it, let it dry, and my hair barely had any tangles in it. The color didn't work out as well as I would've liked it to. I have naturally brown hair that's pretty dark and it definitely made it darker but not to the extent that I was hoping. I mostly blame the color not working out on myself since this was my first time attempting henna. The mostly followed the instructions on the package, using only three blocks of the henna. I think the color would have turned out better if i had cut the blocks up smaller and used hotter water. ( I didn't let the water fully boil since I have a parakeet and I was afraid the whistle from my kettle would scare him :P) The mess wasn't all that bad, I put towels all over my bathroom just in case. But the process was long. Initially I didn't mind the smell of the henna, but no matter what I did it would not leave my hair, and it was even worse when It got wet (it smelled a little like baby food to me??) Overall, I loved how soft and healthy this made my hair, but since I didn't achieve the color I was hoping for, the process was very time consuming, and I couldn't stand the smell eventually , I don't think Ill be buying it again. I'm going to use the three blocks I have left (hopefully properly) and see how it changes my color. Maybe my opinion will change!

Overall tips:
1. break the blocks up into small enough pieces! mine were too large, so I was left with blobs of unmelted henna in my hair that would flake off when I put it on.
2. Use hot enough water! I believe if I had hotter water the henna chunks would have melted better.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by r00ski

So so so good. So nourishing.

I always aim for the darkest possible black-like shade I can get with the caca noir and I've been really successful at getting black out of it so I'll share how.

I tried all the variants.. coffee.. etc etc.. below is what works for me.

I grind up the block with a grater. I have fine medium length hair so I get 3 goes out of a whole block. I grind it all up in one go so I have easy access to repeat the process if I feel like it. You can grate it by hand but I have a food processor with the grating attachment so I just use that. :)

I boil up some water, mix it in with the desired amount of grated caca noir 'til I get a yogurt like consistency, cut a lemon in half and juice it whole with my hands, and maybe a pinch of salt, mix it all around with a fork for a few minutes.. sometimes after mixing I put it in the fridge for a half an hour to cool it down (some say that brings out the cooler black tones) and then I put it on my hair and leave it in for 4 hours minimum.

after 4-6 hours I'll rinse it out, and usually put it on again overnight. Then maybe again do it in the morning. Compounding it both makes the color darker AND makes it last much longer so if I have 2-3 free days I don't mind.

When I rinse the henna out I usually have a bath and after I'm done soaking in the water I just submerge myself and work out all the henna/clumps/whatever out of my hair. I don't clarify it with conditioner or shampoo as I've heard that washes out a lot of the henna/indigo and the color continues to develop over the next few days so I leave it be. It doesn't make any visual difference just had a bit of that earthy smell especially if it gets wet. I usually keep rinsing until the water doesn't look green anymore. Or if I do the bath method I'll come out and have a 2 minutes rinse in the shower to make sure I got it out. Maybe I'm just used to the process but I don't understand when people complain about how much work it is I find the caca noir's to be easy as pie.. just time consuming but w/e.

When I first got into the henna it took me 6-9 goes to get down to that dark cool black I'm after. Don't get me wrong it's a natural black not jet black like you'd get out of box dyes. After I got the desired color I touch it up once every 4-6 weeks.

My hair's always been weak and fragile and super thin but since I've been using the noir the breakage went away. Though it should be noted I've combined the caca noir treatments with all sorts of lovely kerastase products and generally been showing my hair a lot of love so meanwhile all the credit isn't due solely to the caca noir, I don't think I would have the same fantastic results without it.

Hope this helps, happy hennaing!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2013 8:53:00 AM More reviews by tniadna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is an amazing product.

I've got naturally very dark brown hair that started to go grey in college, so I've been dousing my head in chemical dyes for 17 years. Now that my grey hair is up to about 15% (and very obvious against my dark hair), I found myself re-dying every three weeks, which has made me extremely concerned about the chemical dyes and their long-term, cancer causing potential - plus, my hair had started falling out when I washed the dye out...eek.

After a bunch of research, I found the Lush Cacas and where have they been all my life? Finally got up the courage to do it last night, and so happy right now. Here's what I did:

1) Mixed two bars of Noir with one bar of Brun (wasn't trying for jet black, just to mimic my natural dark brown color and cover greys)
2) I grated the first bar of Brun, then got lazy so just put the two Noirs into a freezer bag and whacked it with a hammer. This worked fine, though I think that grating would be better if you've got the patience since I ended up with some small lumps
3) Dumped it in a glass bowl and poured hot water from the tea kettle on top to make a brownie batter consistency - I had no problems with dripping since I splashed in a little water at a time and left it fairly thick - I whisked it all together with a wire whisk.
4) Covered the area with newspaper, put on gloves, and slapped onto my head. I had sectioned my hair previously and so I worked from back to front. I also tried putting it on with a small brush, by it was much too thick for that and I think best approach is just to smoosh it into your hair with your hands
5) When done, I twisted each section into a muddy little bun and just smushed them onto my head, where they stayed pretty well
6) Let it air dry for an hour or so, then wrapped up in saran wrap with a shower cap on top and went to bed.
7) Left it on for about 10 hours total
8) Washed off this morning - could not wait - used conditioner and definitely missed some. Still some gritty patches, must be more vigilant next time.
9) Dried my hair - and perfect! Color is exactly what I wanted, white hairs have a slightly more coppery cast but blend in perfectly. Hair feels a little lank and greasy - I have fine hair so I think all the cocoa butter is a lot for me, but that will wash out.
10) I've also read that the Caca works best when it's fresh, so I stored my leftovers in a tupperware type container to help them stay fresh.

This is a great product that does exactly what it says it does. I was very worried about the smell after all the comments, but it really didn't bother me - certainly not after years of using toxic chemicals. I can still smell it a bit now that it's washed out, but no biggie.

Mixing and applying is slightly more involved/messier than conventional hair dyes, but not difficult and with the thicker consistency, I didn't think it made much more of a mess than box dyes. This stuff was also easy to clean up - I just put coconut oil around my hairlines and it didn't stain my skin at all. It also wiped up easily from the shower, just blasted it with water. The only thing that is a major PITA is waiting sooooo much longer for it to develop. Sleeping in it was do-able, but not the greatest - I think I prefer that to hiding in my apartment for the better part of a day, though.

AND...my hair feels super soft and it's super shiny. Seems thicker as well, which is awesome since my hair is very fine.

Will see how this holds up, but right now am planning to never return to chemical dyes and seems like I can touch up every two weeks or so (hopefully for just a couple of hours) and then maybe do the full sleeping process every four weeks. Well worth it for healthy hair with no greys and no carcinogens.

Here are two before pics:

And here are two after pics:

UPDATE: The second time I did this, I used the leftover Noir and some new Brun. I think it dries out, because this time it did not smash well at all and it melted with huge clumps all over, didn't integrate well, and didn't cover my greys because application was very imprecise. So it definitely needs to be grated, especially if you have product that wasn't just purchased. Other than that, super happy with it. Color stays put and hair is shiny with amazing texture.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/18/2013 8:48:00 PM More reviews by wolfteeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well I had really high hopes for this product. I was looking forward to twirling in the fields and only ever using natural products to color my hair for the rest of my life. Bummer.
So I used this product according to a few reviews mixed with the directions on the label. I left it in for around 4 hours. My natural hair color is pretty light blonde (with a few grays, at 28...kill me) and my hair has been colored medium brown. My roots were showing through a bit and this did NOTHING to them. Not a single thing. I know I applied the product correctly and even if I didn't leave it on long enough it should have done SOMETHING to my roots. The rest of my hair is a deep brown (that's actually kind of nice, albeit slightly boring (but it says it darkens with time). I would have given this product a much better review if it colored my roots, but alas, it appears only chemicals can cover this Scandinavian blonde hair.
I had no problems with it otherwise. The smell was nice, it wasn't that messy, it was easy to apply, I had no trouble washing it out and it didn't even stain my tub. I just really wish I could love this, but those blonde roots are killing me. Also, it didn't really make my hair feel any better or look any shinier than when I use conventional hair color. Guess it's back to Natural Instincts.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by gumbohaircom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

ttp://img.makeupalley.com/1/9/8/5/2376367.JPG

I have been toying with using henna to dye my hair for many moons now. So after much prayer and fasting(LOL), I finally worked up enough nerve to try LUSH Caca Noir Mama. The Caca Noir makes the hair black because Indigo as well as other ingredients like coco butter are mixed in this thick henna bar. I wanted my hair super duper black. so after doing a lot of research I decided to put in Indigo immediately after applying my Lush Henna Caca Noir Mama bar. This step ensures that I would get the blackest color possible.

BOTTOM LINE: The process is messy as all get out and a definite pain. But...my hair came out a shiny black stallion black. Since I went natural I have only used "natural" dye on my hair a few times. I never liked the black color that I achieve plus I was always suspicious of the "natural" ingredients.
My color came out similar to when I used to put black gloss color on my hair many years ago.
My hair feels healthier and stronger, looks silkier and appears light-reflecting radiant!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by csjune

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

**Edit: I uploaded the before after picture with short wavy hair, outside**

I stopped dying my hair over two years ago once I realized it was falling out! I still had the occasional urge to darken my hair, though, as I think chocolate brown suits me better.... but I refrained from doing so because of the horrible image I had of clumps of hair falling out in the shower. *ahh!* It was then I decided to stop putting those horrible chemicals in my hair once and for all.

I began looking up alternative methods that were natural and safe for dying your hair. I found out about henna, but really wasn't up to buying my own mixes and experimenting with something so permanent. Do I use more indigo than henna or visa versa? Do i cover my head or not? How long? How often, etc etc.

So fast forward to about two months ago I found out about LUSH's Caca colors. (Lol @ silly name) Holy crap this stuff is perfect for those out there looking to change up your color in a chemical free manner! Beware though: patience and getting your hands dirty (or wear gloves) is required.

I give this product a 4 because it's exactly what I was looking for: a prepackaged henna/indigo hair dying product. However, it is expensive (but then again, with my short hair it'll last me a solid 3 dyes, so I basically pay 8$ per dye) and because I don't understand why they dont just package it already grated. The packaging itself is eco-friendly and minimal. I uploaded a before and after picture for everyone. (I have the short, wavy hair).

Here's my process for getting a dark chocolate brown hair with neutral undertones:

Prepping:
1. First, wear gloves!!! and if you are messy, cover the counters with paper/foil/whatever. Actually, even if you're not messy... cover everything anyway.
2. Using large hair clips, split hair into a few sections.
3. Apply Vaseline around forehead/ears/back of neck to stop Caca from staining your skin.
4. Brew 1-2 cups of BOLD, black coffee.
5. Grate 2 blocks (1/3 of the bar) of Caca NOIR & 1 Block (1/6th) of Caca BRUN with a cheese grater into a large glass bowl.
6. Mix the fresh cup of coffe into the finely grated Caca, stir until a pasty, yogurt consistency is met.

Application:
1. Wearing gloves I dip my fingers into the Caca yogurt (which smell very herbal, looks like poo) and apply to the lower/bottom part of my hair first. Make sure you massage the goop into all of your hair (working from the bottom, up). Don't be conservative here. Keep adding the Caca until your whole head is covered.
3. I then wrap in saran wrap and wrap in tin foil on top of that (to keep my head warm) and leave on for 4 HOURS.

Rinsing:
Honestly, this is the most tedious part, if you have a removable shower head be prepared to use that for a solid 10 minutes of just RINSING. Then add conditioner, rinse, conditioner, rinse, shampoo, rinse, shampoo rinse. If you don't, I think someone recommended using a hose outside- that's probably a good idea.

My hair felt thicker after I was done, but I cant comment on the softness... my hair is already soft, plus the amount of conditioner I used during the rinsing process probably had something to do with it.

Anyway, good luck! I think if you dont mind the time, and you want a natural, safe alternative to harsh chemical hair dyes, this is the stuff for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2012 4:14:00 AM More reviews by noonoomac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a great product. I arrived at this product as I was looking for a dark brown/black colour without the chemicals associated with allergies as I am prone to skin related allergies.

The colour itself is a lovely dark, rich black with some blue undertones but without that inky fake look that black hair dyes normally give. It looks totally natural on me. Leave it uncovered to develop the dark tones, cover with film to develop the warmer red tones.

On the negative side, the rich dark colour fades quickly on my fine, wavy hair. I'd say it lasts about 8 weeks at most. My natural colour is a rich, very dark brown but has red undertones in the light which I want to cancel out. I only have a few greys so I can't really say how well it covers. I'm still giving a 5 because there isn't another product on the UK market that can rival this, at least, as far as I'm aware.

Follow the directions on the website exactly, there is no need to grate the product, it just needs boiling water and to be left to stand before you mix it. Set aside an evening, and, yes, it's messy.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:23:00 PM More reviews by blua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Caca Noir has left my hair (naturally black - albeit color treated to take out the browns/reds), feeling soft and healthy. Yes I would buy it again. Strangely enough, even though my hair is straight, it has left my hair looking like i've flatironed it. Weird! The downside is the actually process, wait time and the SMELL. UGH, it's horrible in my opinion. Smelt like rotten weed honestly, with a dash of herbs that made my stomach churn. But I did put up with it. I put it in longer than the 2 hours. I was planning to leave it for 6 hours, but it was already 10pm and I didn't want to wait too long to wash it out. (Which took a while because there were chunks of henna everywhere)

Please note that it is MESSY, and you should all your equipments/tools around you. Also, you should know that once you henna your hair you shouldn't dye it with any chemical hair dyes because it will NOT react well. Take that into consideration if you like having different colors that cannot be achieved by henna (using bleach, etc)

Other than that, I kind of enjoyed the whole process, just wish it was easier.