August 30, 2014 | 1748 users online

Polishes - Maybelline - Mirror Image Nail Enamel

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by flinty

Mirror Image is definitely the smoothest, most reflective silver polish I have; it almost glows in the dark (or rather, it catches whatever stray light there is). It was totally opaque in one coat and dried pretty quickly. Similar to mattes, you have to work fast. Small brush imprints disappear but if you had one stroke that had a lot more polish on the brush, there will be an obvious line on the nail.

Without any topcoat, it chipped in the first 24 hours. Tipwear was pretty bad but it's so reflective and striking that you don't really notice the small chips at the edges. It did get scratched in the middle of the nail a couple of times, and that immediately made it look pretty ratty.

The effect was almost as striking as nail foils -- though NOTHING compares to the reflectiveness of foils! I couldn't stop looking at my nails. It's a rare polish in that most silver polishes are shimmery and/or prone to streaking and this is a fairly smooth, uniform surface. You DO need to use the included ridge filler base coat though (which is amazing in its own right). I did half-heartedly buff my nails beforehand, so that might've made some difference.

All in all, it was worth the extra money and time to get this polish. Would repurchase it if it ever were to be re-released and available widely. As an HTF, I wouldn't go hunting for another one though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2006 8:51:00 AM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found the base coat plus mirror polish in a duo package at the dollar store. I wish the bottle were a little bigger. I was in love with the idea of chrome looking nails when Sally Hansen first came out with it a few years ago. They were more like a matte metal finish. Now this stuff is amazing. The shiny side of aluminum foil is what it truly looks like. This is the first I've ever seen like this and I love it! I am going back to the dollar store today to pick up 5 packages to give as gifts. What fun! The only thing about it is that it wore off quickly. I didn't apply a top coat so that may be partially my fault. I am going to try this on my toes soon and update the review.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2004 10:13:00 PM More reviews by shelly59

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Totally mirror-like nails. I work for a very conservative law firm and have to dress appropriately. This stuff stops them dead in their tracks, lol!! Great fun.

Make sure your nails are smooth as silk, cus this will show every imperfection. I use a buffer on my nails before applying the base coat. Also, the surface of the silver coat drys fairly quickly, so don't keep going over it with the brush. That causes streaks.

Pretty good staying power, imo.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2004 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Jaclyn_M

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to agree that this is the best silver nailpolish out there, for getting a "mirror" look on your nails. With Revlon's chrome nailpolish, you can see the "particles" that make up the silvery color, but this one is more smooth, giving a mirror-like finish. To me, it almost looks like aluminum foil! I have to wonder about the base coat though. I tried applying the polish with and without it, and did not notice any difference in appearance or durability. And since you are supposed to use 2 coats of the silver and 1 coat of the base coat (as stated in the directions) you will run out of silver first and be left with half a bottle of base coat. I wonder if that's just a gimmick to make us pay for 2 nail products. Also, for me, the base coat tends to go on very thick and gloppy. If you don't apply a very thin coat and get it just right, it will leave an uneven surface on which to apply the silver color. Anyway, the only reason I didn't rate this a 5 is the lasting ability. I had a very different experience from the other 2 reviewers. Every time I used this product, it started chipping on the first day. In some cases, the whole coat of nail polish peeled right off my nail - base coat and all. I also end up with little vertical "scuff marks" in the polish, in the very direction that I had applied the polish. Just yesterday I applied this polish in the morning (with base coat) and several hours later I went swimming for about an hour. When I got out of the pool, half of the nails had polish peeling off of them. I will try to experiment with different top coats in order to get this to work, because this silver effect is too good to pass up! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2004 11:36:00 AM More reviews by akellerm29

Best Chrome polish ever. Really does look like mirrors (best you can get). I have been trying to do this to my nails for 7 years or so - this is definately the best! Only drawback I found is that it is extremelly difficult to remove. The base coat seems to be like tough glue to remove from your nails. Since this is a Maybelline product, I don't expect to see it long on the shelves. They usually only have items like this for 6 months or so and then discontinue it. If anyone can find another option with the same results, let me know.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2004 6:17:00 AM More reviews by mizzypuss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a two-step nail polish. There's a sheer, pearlescent color, and a dull metallic silver color. You paint the sheer pearly coat on first, the top it off with a coat or two of the silver and *bling*! You have shiney little mirrors on your nails! I love this nail polish. It's shiney, paints on easily, and lasts for a long time. It's very durable.