November 25, 2014 | 1808 users online

Styling Products - Sebastian - Shaper Plus Hairspray

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by SmokeySings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My go-to hairspray for YEARS.....it holds very well, even in high humidity, yet allows movement and you can brush through it easily. It would be absolutely perfect except for the fact that others have said, the nozzle clogs easily. I almost took a lippie off for that, but the clogging can easily be peeled off/removed, so it is not a big deal.

The smell..the smell reminds me of the hair salons back in the 80's..So many salons used this spray back then..the 'big hair' era..so I have fond sentimental reasons and memories attributed with this smell. I do agree with some though, if you are sensitive to smells, this might be overpowering and you might want to have a window open or well ventilated area when you use this. But the smell is fine with me.

Always, always make sure to get the PLUS..the Shaper alone is the total opposite in my opinion...so I always have to make sure to get the PLUS version.....have re-purchased this more times than I can remember...I do not do big hair and rarely need hairspray these days, but I always keep a can on hand for when I am going somewhere special and/or want something 'extra' done to my hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/30/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pricey for the amount of hold, can do better at the drugstore. I found that my nozzle would get sticky all the time and I'd have to do the remove cap/run hot water in to unclog thing. Not excited about it and it smells like old lady hairspray.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Colour4me

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love it. Every once in awhile, though, gently remove the nozzle and give it a rinse under hot water since there is a tendency for it to clog like most aerosols. I keep a large can at home and when I can find a smaller (trial size) can, I take it travelling - wouldn't be without it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Delilabee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for Sebastian ORIGINALS Shaper Plus in the white can with gold writing.

Of all the hairsprays I've tried over the past 15 years this is the one I have come back to. I have not tried the new Shaper series in the black cans, nor the regular Originals Shaper, so have no opinion about those. This is about the Originals Plus version.

These are the results on my fine hair:

PROS:
- Holds well
- Super-fine mist means no globs
- Never crusty or sticky. Hair really is touchable and feels good.
- Never greasy or weighed down.
- No frizzing even in humid weather
- Mild, pleasant scent.

On that last point, I am baffled by people saying it has a strong or nasty scent. Its light non-hairsprayish scent is one of its greatest assets IMHO! If you detest the strong, lingering, 'grandma hairspray' smell of Ellnet - as I do - you will probably find Sebastian a blessed relief.

I think the problem is that you can't go breathing this stuff in. Sebastian Shaper Plus Original is harsh on the lungs, so you must hold your breath and step away immediately after spraying. I think that's what people are getting confused with, calling that the "smell", when really it's just their nose and lungs getting gummed up! The actual fragrance is mild.

CONS:
- Can't be used in enclosed spaces. Well, no hairspray can, but this one is extra irritating.
- CLOGSVILLE. The nozzle clogs so quickly that there's really no point in buying a large can. I bought two 10.6oz cans on special and made it through barely 20% of each before the nozzles became unusable. Total waste. Buy small cans only.
- Expensive.

The cons do not deter me. Sebastian's performance on fine hair is so good compared with about eight other hairspray brands I've tried, that I'm willing to put up with everything else :).

(I hope the Originals line's current availability is a sign of good things to come. Sebastian had a habit of formulating truly exceptional, market-leading products - like Grip Defining Polish and that Gloss Spray in the clear plastic (not blue metal) bottle - then discontinuing them and replacing them with thoroughly ordinary, same-as-every-other-brand products. For what reason I cannot fathom. Some of their original formulations were world beating.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by ASH1337

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is actually a great hairspray. I generally only use it on my straight bangs and mist all over for rainy and foggy days. It definitely keeps my frizz at bay during humid and windy weather. It comes in a huge can and has lasted me quite a few years with on and off use (mainly winter time). However, my main gripe with this spray is that stupid nozzle. The clogging got so bad after 1/2 of the can was used that it went out of commission completely. This morning, the white nozzle part snapped off completely during my routine "nozzle purging" and then product started spouting from the white tube underneath, soaking my hand and the dripping into the bathtub I was standing over. I've already tried repairing it but I really don't think I can pull any more product from this can, even though there is a lot actually left inside... which is such a waste considering what a good spray it's been (not to mention how expensive!).

Also, I won't lie. It smells bad. Luckily the scent doesn't linger for more than like 30 minutes.. It's pretty much gone by the time I drive to work in the morning. But the hold lasts all day. It's a light-medium hold with a lot of shine. It is WONDERFUL for blocking out humidity. I'm going to experiment with some other brands before I consider returning to Sebastian. This is the first time I've really had to complain about bad packaging from a hair product...

Also, I would advise buying this from TJMaxx or Ross or something. This brand is usually marked down and on clearance in the hair/body section.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I think this hairspray is not worth the price.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by heyannette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ugh, I may be the ONLY one who doesn't like this product (original product over the reformulated). The scent gives me a headache and makes my eyes irritated though I do agree, this formula holds better for sure than the reformulated version. Not only don't like the fragrance it's just too darn strong. Seriously, people, there is no need to over scent this stuff. I can't use Sebastian gels either, beside the fact they flake like crazy they STINK.

If I can't stand the scent it goes - no matter how well it holds.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Jclark33

My favorite hairspray! Hate the price but I'm willing to pay for it!!! It holds without that stiff feeling! Smells amazing too!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by mjolnirsvn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LADIES! LISTEN UP! I made an account JUST FOR THIS REVIEW!
SHAPER. PLUS. IS. BACK!
THE ORIGINAL FORMULA IS BACK!
NEXT TIME ANY OF Y'ALL EVER GO INTO ULTA, LOOK SPECIFICALLY FOR THE CANS OF SHAPER/SHAPER PLUS THAT HAVE A BRASS/BRONZE BRANDING ON IT THAT SAYS "Original Formula." THESE CANS HAVE THE ORIGINAL 80% VOC FORMULA IN THEM. EVEN SAYS SO ON THE RECEIPT!
HOWEVER, DUE TO VARIATIONS IN POLLUTION LAWS IN THE UNITED SATES IT IS NOT AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE. IF YOU LIVE IN CA, CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, OR VA YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2013 6:30:00 PM More reviews by jessahorsting

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love the Shaper plus! I use it when flat ironing my hair for a smooth, completely straight finish and it works amazing. I'm on my 4th bottle and will continue to repurchase. It is pricey - $18 CAD a bottle at Chatters but they recently had a sale for $9 each so of course I stocked up on 2 more! It keeps your hair super soft without the crunch of normal hairspray but if your hair doesn't hold curls well then I don't recommend it for curling. The smell is okay, kind of overpowering but other than that I recommend you try it out at least and I will continue to repurchase.