April 20, 2014 | 1712 users online

Shampoo - Paul Mitchell - Cleanse- Tea Tree Special Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Cguni

I absolutely love this shampoo. Although, I do agree with some of the reviews that it does dry out hair, making it feel like straw. Pairing it with the right conditioner makes all the difference. I use Biolage detangling solution as conditioner because it makes my hair super snarly after using. This conditioner is great because it doesn't mask the smell of tea tree and it doesn't weight your hair down like other conditioners would. I highly recommend these two products together.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Kidlike101

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

this is currently my fav. shampoo, I've used it for 3 months so far and here is my review.

PROS

1. It really delivers, with other shampoos I have to wash 2 or 3 times after I've used coconut oil on my hair and even then my hair looks flat and dead... with this one just one wash and everything goes back to normal.

2. will rinse your scalp nicely without drying it out

3. has a minty scent that is very refreshing after a long day

CONS

1. my scalp is on the oily side but thanks to the humid weather my hair leans toward dry, this shampoo rinses my scalp but it requires a conditioner afterwards otherwise my hair ends up too dry

2. it's rather expensive. $20 per bottle over here.

3. over here it's pretty hard to find, very few pharmacies get it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2014 12:40:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp_0507

Tried this a long time ago and the scent was very strong but it was expected since tea tree is very strong smelling. It really cleaned my hair well to the point of stripping all the moisture and made my hair feel like straws. Was not for me. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by MmmQuinn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is on the shampoo only. I really love most of Paul Mitchell's products and this shampoo is no exception. Back when my hair was color treated, I was unable to use this as much so I stopped purchasing it. However, I recently got it again and I've been loving every minute.
This shampoo is creamy and lathers really well. The tea tree is super invigorating in the shower and even after rinsing, my hair and scalp are left feeling clean. I have also noticed that since using (combined with the matching conditioner) my hair is softer and even.. dare I say...easier to style.
All in all, this shampoo is a win in my book. It may be a bit pricey but I can also find it for cheaper in my local beauty supply,so its not a big factor for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Calina_Oscura76

Sooo.. .I have been struggling with itchy, scaly, oily yet, dry scalp for many, many years. Nothing seemed to help, most things seemed to make it worse, except dying my hair, which I think, just simply burned whatever was on my scalp, clean off. I have since stopped dying my hair, sick of the maintenance and up keep. This Product and its Conditioning mate, was recommended to me by a stylist, she guaranteed I would like it, that my son would benefit as well, *14 year old hormonal teen.. oily scalp.. no matter what he uses, or how well he rinses it out* So I bought the large liters, as they were on sale as a duo. ( But still way over priced, if you ask me)
I have been using this now, for the better part of a month, and during the first week, I have to admit, I was really kicking my butt for buying it. I was not at all impressed. My hair just didn't feel as nice as I thought it would. I love the smell, the tingling, how my scalp felt afterward.. but I was still not feeling the love.
Another week into it, and I started noticing the itching and oiliness on my scalp was gone. Completely gone. No itchy, painful bumps. no flakes, no scaling. no dryness. Just a normal, clean feeling, non-irritated scalp. I figured I would give it more time.
Another week into it, and I noticed the amazing shine my hair has. I mean it is wicked shiny. I find this stuff a touch on the drying side, so I use a leave in treatment ( see my review of Matrix Fiberstrong Fortifying cream) and It, used in conjunction with the tea tree S&C.. my hair feels decent. Yes, I say decent. AS it is growing out now, and looks rough because all of the hair that had broken off previous to switching things up, is growing out.. my hair is getting thicker, and stronger using all three products together. My hair? Super fine, breaks very easily. Natural color, past my shoulders. Was thinning. Hair loss has improved, I do not lose near as much hair now. I read that Tea tree oil can decongest the scalp, promoting hair growth.. good enough for me. I have also used this on my face.. just the shampoo.. just for fun.
So.. I now have hair growing back, growing longer, full of shine.. light, weightless. no build up. This stuff is paraben free, and the conditioner has a small amount of cones.. nothing near what others contain, and I think this is why it took my hair so long to adjust to it.. so many products are loaded up with cones.. my hair got used to the excessive amounts, but, it reeked havoc on my hair and scalp in the process.
SO.. I may buy again, though, the large bottles.. will probably last me a year.. I think it is procreating in the bottles. I will see where I am in the next couple of months with this stuff, and update if necessary. If you have oily, fine hair, with a crappy scalp to boot.. it is certainly worth a try. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

The hype made me want to try this shampoo, but I wasn't really impressed. And for the price, it made me rate it only two lippies.

Yes, it smells great and due to the tea tree oil, it gives your scalp that tingly feeling. However, you could add tea tree essential oil to your shampoo to get that for a lot less of a price.

I have thin, straight hair that tends to get oily Like other reviewers, I noticed it tends to leave your hair stripped of moisture and dry---almost straw like. You have to compensate with a heavy conditioner which I feel kind of defeats the purpose.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I neither like nor dislike this shampoo. It has a nice minty feel to it as you lather up, but once it's rinsed out it makes my hair feel squeaky and stripped. Paired with the matching conditioner, my shoulder blade-length hair is tangled and hard to comb through. I tried applying Phyto7 to my ends before blowdrying and some smoothing serum to soften my hair, but it was still a tangled mess.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by misterandry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So, I rarely buy high end products. The only beauty product I've ever owned prior to this that I didn't buy at walgreens was my foundation, but this shampoo is being added to the list. I got severe dry scalp a while ago as a reaction to a l'oreal shampoo; my scalp was literally flaking off. I didn't think there was much to do; I switched to Garnier, I put oil treatments on my scalp to moisturize- nothing. Finally, while getting my hair done for an event, my stylist asks what's happening on my scalp, before recommending this shampoo to me. I didn't like the idea of shelling out more cash, but I was desperate. Immediately - literally the first use - my hair was noticeably softer, shinier, and I had no flakes. My scalp was still dry; I could pull my hair up and see it, but it wasn't flaking. Huge improvement!! My scalp isn't completely recovered, but I'm stunned by the improvement- I had no idea shampoo could make such a difference. The price tag can be a little ridiculous, but it's well worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by ksjackman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I began working in a salon and decided it was a good idea to start taking better care of my hair. I recently moved to an area where they have nothing but well-water which took an awful toll on my scalp and made it dry and itchy, and my hair a dry/frizzy mess.
First of all, I NEVER would have bought this shampoo if I didn't recieve a discount through the salon. Personally, I think it's too expensive for the amount you actually get.
That being said, after over a week of me actually using the shampoo, my hair and scalp feel healthier than ever. My hair is shiney, well-maintained, and my scalp no longer itches.
However, I use the shampoo along with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair & Scalp treatment as a conditioner (which I also never would have bought without some sort of discount). I feel like the shampoo along with an average conditioner would be too harsh on my hair and the hair & scalp treatment seems to help wonders.
Would I suggest using this shampoo? If you have any type of issues with your scalp, definitely. But I can't see this shampoo working for all hair-types. I think I might have just gotten lucky.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/7/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by exoticrose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on the fence about Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo.

Does it do what it claims to do? Yes! A resounding yes. Although I wouldn't say I have oily hair, I'm still prone to those days where my scalp is greasy and gross. And this shampoo delivers! ;) It cuts right through the oil and takes care of any itchiness that comes along with it.

But I wouldn't necessarily recommend this shampoo because although it works wonders on my scalp, it makes the rest of my hair super-dry. I find that before shampooing my roots, I have to coat the rest of my hair with conditioner in order to balance this effect. If I don't, I have to be extremely careful when combing my hair afterwards.

And then there are the ingredients. Please note that this is not by any means a negative review! I love how much this stuff calms my scalp. But it worries me that this product contains both sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate (neither of which are good for the hair, skin, or eyes). I wouldn't say I'm an all-natural person, but the effects of SLS concern me! :(

All in all, I'd say that your results will really depend on your hair type. Although this isn't the best shampoo for my hair, it is the only shampoo (in fact, the only hair product in general) that my brother will use - and his hair is shiny and perfect. Go figure! :)