April 20, 2014 | 1001 users online

Masks - Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 10:38:00 AM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a PC fan. Been using the products for 10+ years. I've used every product in the Skin Recovery Line (the dry skin line) with the exception of the cleanser b/c I simply refuse to pay big bucks for something that is on my face <1min.

On with the review... Like almost everyone, I use this overnight. I do not wash it off. This product has great hydration. I particularly like it around my eyes. I just don't find it as calming as the Skin Recovery Moisturizer. The Skin Recovery moisturizer feels SO SOOTHING and nourishing. Like another reviewer said... sometimes this mask stings *just a tiny bit* on my cheeks (my most sensitive area) but the sensation doesn't last and it's not every time. While I prefer the Skin Recovery Moisturizer, I like that this mask is less than half the price of the Skin Recovery Moisturizer (that's why I bought it).

Even though I have bought this more than once over the years, I think this latest tube has convinced me not to buy it again. I'm going to try CeraVe's eye cream next I think.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by wendylee526

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you're looking at these reviews debating, buy it!! I highly recommend and I'm someone who buys and researches just about everything. A true product junkie. This entire line is amazing. I have very dry skin and have never seen a product give the results like this. The whole line is like that - amazing. Leaves skin glowing and fresh - so healthy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 3:37:00 AM More reviews by luckypenny68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I ordered this mask in a sample size to see if my skin liked it. I must have gone through 6 sample-sized packets, then I gave in and bought the full-sized tube. I did not waste my dollars. I use it as an overnight mask all over my face but not everyday. I use it about 3 times a week, maybe more depending on what time of the month it is. One and a half weeks before my period I use a lot of anti-acne products, which dries my face. Then I use this mask to help bring back some moisture without adding to the breakouts.
It works well for me, so much so that I am addicted to it now. Best of all I don't scare my husband half to death when I climb in bed with a face mask on. It is nice and clear, and he can't even tell I am wearing a mask! Win!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2014 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't exactly plan to get this. It was on sale and I needed a night moisturizer. It was also 4oz at a very attractive price. In hindsight, I probably would have tried in time anyways because of those 2 facts. I just actually finished the tube a couple days ago.

PROS: You get a lot of it, and no breakouts or clogging.

CONS: Sometimes it stings on application. No idea why and itís not so much/intense that I stop using it, but itís something to note. Also, it doesn't actually seem so intensely hydrating. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was more.

OTHER: It has a thick texture, but not too thick. It doesnít seem like a mask though. And for being in the driest skin line, it absorbs oddly quite well. Itís not greasy or shiny; you could wear this in the daytime.

OVERALL: It kept my skin where it was and didnít do anything bad to it. Maybe my skin just drank it up, because it doesnít seem as intense/oily as I expected. It is winter though. My skin wasn't too really matte though, so it must have done something. Iím giving it a 3 because I wasnít affected enough for a 4.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Inuki

This moisturizing mask far outperformed these other masks that I have tried: Aveda's Intensive Moisturizing Masque (I still like this one but it's a lot more expensive than PC), Nuxe's Masque Frais Hydratant, Avene's soothing mask and the HA paper masks by Laniege (these did absolutely nothing, what a waste of money) and the various My Beauty Diary moisture masks, which also did nothing.

After using this product as an overnight treatment, my face felt a lot more moisturised the following morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 5:40:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Such a lovely product for you skin. I get dry skin around my eye areas and apply this every night to my lids and undereye.

I do not wash this product off but use an intensive moisturiser.

I also use this over the 10% AHA resurface treatment. I wake up with beautifully soft and hydrated skin. Such a treat.

Be aware that when you apply this it's quite heavy and when it dries it kind of peel a little bit if you rub at your face, so once you've rubbed it in, just leave it and it will be fine.

I would reccommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Like so many, I did not use this as a mask. Perhaps if I had, I would not have gotten a few breakouts as a result. I used it as a regular moisturizer overnight when my skin was horribly dry and I was trying to rehydrate it and the following day I wore it under a (light) zinc oxide only sunscreen as I was trying to find something that would protect my skin from the effect of the zo sucking all the moisture out of my skin (I seem to be having trouble right now with mineral sunscreens doing that). After those two uses, I ended up with two surface zits and one place that felt like it would develop into cystic acne. So, obviously, using this as a moisturizer for me is to heavy for me. I won't buy an entire tube but probably will keep around sample packs for occasional mask use when my skin feels very dry. I'm now using PC Skin Recovery Moisturizer during the day and Moisture Boost Moisturizer at night.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

I have a few samples of this and so far I really like it. It hasn't clogged me that I've noticed, and usually I do clog and I DO notice it. It moisturizes and feels nice. It's definitely better than the regular skin recovery moisturizer. I'm on the fence of buying the full size, depending on how the other moisturizers I'm trying measure up. If they do in fact cause clogs, I'm sold on this. I'm using other things that have been helping my skin, but I think this is a pretty good one on it's own.

Update: Well that was quick. Put it all over and this evening my forehead was covered in little bumps. I didn't change anything else. What a bummer. No second tries for me. PC has not been doing well in my book so far. Down to one product I like. And while the regular moisturizer in this line is ok, I still am hesitant to use chemical laden moisturizers (not that I've had luck with one-ingerdient oils either) :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Many use this as a mask and rinse off, but I leave it on all night. And when I'm very dry, even use it under my foundation. If I apply lightly, will not even ball up under my foundation like some moisturizers do. It's VERY moisturizing for my dry skin.(Best thing I've ever found for giving moisture, without leaving a crisco oil slick on my face.) Full of antioxidants. No harsh/artificial scent. So gentle and feels nourishing to my skin. I'm seeing a difference in my skin: wrinkles are softened, dry patches are GONE, and redness is lessened. I love to use this for eye cream at night. No animal testing. The price is very reasonable.

CONS: Leaves a very slight stickiness left over. May be too much moisture for some, but certainly it's clear by the description on the site/bottle that this is for very dry skin. When I am very sensitive, can sometimes sting a bit (could be the antioxidants).

APPLICATION TIPS: Great for eye cream. And I love this for a night cream (don't wash it off) and even under my spf in the morning, when I'm very dry.

ALTERNATES: Paula's Resist Barrier Repair is much lighter but still quite moisturizing. The regular moisturizer under the Skin Recovery line by Paula is a bit lighter than this, if this is too much for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by jchoi128

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I gave this product 5 lippies with a slightly different perspective.

This so called, "hydrating treatment mask" really doesn't work well as a mask. So I would give this product a horrible rating if I were to rate it as the sole purpose of using it as a mask. It's a bad bad mask.

But Read On. Why do I love this product?

TEXTURE: It's a light textured, not so heavy, ever so slightly thick lotion like texture. If you have all used Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion, it's lighter than that but not a runny consistency.

No breakouts, no whiteheads, etc.
No fragrances, no harsh additives, Non-greasy.
Love this aspect.

PRICE: $16? You'll definitely get your bucks out of this product. Here is why.

I live in Toronto Canada and it gets very cold and dry in the winter.
I am 24 years old, have normal to dry skin which was pulling in every direction as soon as I landed in Toronto a few months ago. I was looking for a solution so I initially searched for a mask until I ordered this product accidently.

I apply a very thin layer of this mask over a cream or daily moisturizer if I feel like I need something extra, depending on the weather and the condition of my skin. It seems to work, it really hydrates and my skin absorbs it.

Recently, I have been getting more creative and used this mask by mixing a pea size amount with 1-2 drops of face oil (Bobbi Brown Extra Face Oil or Darphin Rose Aromatic Care) and applying directly to my face at night. I've always found applying face oil a difficult task for me. I seem to have a heavy hand and I can't help myself. But this trick actually seems to help the face oil to absorb into my skin faster, thanks to this Paula's Choice mask. This helps to relieve my skin for the night and my face is so soft in the morning when I wake up.

FINAL VERDICT:
Although this product doesn't live up to its true purpose as advertised, I think they should just change the name to "Multipurpose Cream" and sell sell sell. At $15 a tube, it's a bargain in my opinion. It's just a simple moisturizer that doesn't do any harm to your skin and you can mix with other products or layer it depending on your needs. I sometimes even apply some on my hand if I see it.

Try it, and if it doesn't work for you as a mask or even as a moisturizer I'm sure you can figure out a creative way to use this product, ONLY because this product doesn't have any complex ingredients.