September 18, 2014 | 1333 users online

Fragrances - Divine -Divine

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have to be in the mood for this but it is just gorgeous. Opens STRONG with aldehydes and tuberose, but also peach and spices and musk. It's very rich and somehow thick but utterly gorgeous and uncompromising. The drydown is the best part and I can smell it on clothes for days. Yes it is like Ysatis, but ever so much nicer, more sophisticated, more nuanced and the materials smell like they are of much better quality. Packaging is lovely and varied, you have a choice on their website and also it comes in extrait, always a big plus for me although I've yet to try it. Must check my piggy bank! Personally I can't believe how reasonable their prices are and the service is impeccable as is the packaging. Overall, a lovely perfume experience.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

Is someone had asked to point to a generic French perfume, I would immediately point to Divine. It manages to smell like a mishmash of every floral aldehydic perfume with a bit of skanky base that you have ever smelled (eg Joy, Miss Dior (the original), Ysatis, Jardin de Bagatelle, Paloma Picasso just to name a few) without being able to distinguish itself in any way, or being able to surpass any of these.
So. You know how certain perfumers such as DSH and others will "dupe" a certain style of perfumery, such as in Mousse de Chine or Cafe Noir? Or a certain type of scent associated with red lipstick and corseted dresses? Well, Divine could be added to that category.
As a dupe of something you once smelled, but can no longer get because of atrocious IFRA regulations or whatnot, it's not bad.
There's a strong forefront of aldehydes, blended florals, and powder up front which remain strong and leave a thick sillage throughout the excellent duration. The drydown veers a bit to burnt caramel on my skin, but in its defense remains true to the first notes. No faint skin musk here.
The problem is this: Divine never steps away from being a bunch of ingredients thrown together in the fashion of a specific style of perfumery (which I happen to love). As such it remains boring, bland, and somewhat cheap-smelling. There is no edge there, nothing that makes me walk with that particular self-satisfied swagger a truly great scent gives me. I am all in favor of powerful womanly fragrances in the mold of the ones I mentioned above, but all of these are the result of a certain genius clearly lacking in Divine. Would you pay to see a so-so dancer performing "in the style of Barichnikov"?
I thought not.
The verdict: Get thee to ebay for some vintage Ysatis which can still be found at reasonable prices.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2010 7:50:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

A bold, animalic, spicy floriental... and aggressive, that the very beginning. Really, the first minutes are almost unbearable, skank in the dirty way (think Lutens MKK).
Then you get a migraine inducing blast of Tuberose (think Fracas).
Then, as some other reviewers notes, I get the close similiarity to Ysatis. (hyacint, mimosa, other fresh flowers ). But Ysatis was far more well behaved and polite.
Divine (I have this in Edp) is a bold fragrance (huge sillage and great staying power) that can fit a woman of a certain appeal, that wants to leave a scented trail; this lady is wearing a leopard skin coat, high heels and hot pink nails and lipstick. Probably not sophisticated nor the classiest but she makes a statement.
The drydown is the best part, calms down a bit and there you get a dupe of the lovely floriental that Ysatis is, completely.
So go and get yourself Ysatis, it's chaper than Divine (it sells 50 ml for 120$, for a dupe, dude, that's a lot!)...

____________________
Notes as per Luckyscent:

peach, coriander, gardenia, Indian tuberose, May rose, oak moss, musk, vanilla, spice

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by jemimagold

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had high hopes for "Divine" after reading the positive 4-star review of it in "Perfumes: The Guide" which called it a buttery floral. I tried this on my skin on two separate occasions and detected no butter note at all (as opposed to Diorama which definitely has a lush creamy butter note). Instead, "Divine" is a heavy floral animalic that smells like a cheap, blowsy, aggressive cousin of Givenchy's Ysatis. For my money, I would take Ysatis every time over this as it is elegant, well-blended and classy. Unfortunately, Divine is not any of those things.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2008 11:27:00 PM More reviews by maia0x0x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wouldnt go as far to call this stunning, but it was pretty. It seemed slightly aldehylic, but not terribly. (Aldehydes normally sicken me, and this was very tolerable) I feel like ive smelled this may times and places before.I was not wowed, but I felt kinda pretty wearing it...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 9:49:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's such a gorgous scent! I love it, simply just love it. It's soft and femine. A bit fruity but not sweet. The openning does remind me Ysatis. However, the drydown is richer and moderner than Ysatis. It blends with my body chemistry very well. There is something specially beautiful in this scent but I can't tell.

I agree that it is lady-like. Normally it won't go with your jeans, but who cares if you really love this scent!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2007 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Funkly

Divine, Divine... where to start... This is a well blended fruity buttery white floral, with a vintage feel. It's big, french and sophisticated. I read somewhere that it shares many notes with Givenchy Ysatis, which could explain why it has a familiar feel to many. It definitely deserves to be tried, which is very easy thanks to the excellent customer service that posts you samples of the whole range for free, contact them via the website www.divine.fr

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2006 12:42:00 AM More reviews by AbsoluteScentualist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an intoxicating and very French composition. I was very eager to try Divine, as I've read so many favorable reviews on the company all over the net. And after contacting their stellar customer service, I received a beautifully packaged variety of samples a few days later.

Divine is a stunning floral, however upon application and dry down, I felt a since of fragrance deja vu. After thinking long and hard with the back of my wrist to my nose, the comparison occured to me. This perfume is eerily similar to Mary Kay's Acapella. Another beloved and heady fragrance I wore in my mid teens.

The notes list for Divine is more lengthy, but these two could be kissing cousins. Divine is a bit stronger with better staying power, but very similar and perhaps a bit more refined than the MK.

Either way, I am glad I sampled it and promptly added it to my must acquire list. If you're a lover of complex florals, do give this one a try. It is glamourous and truly earns it's name.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2006 6:41:00 AM More reviews by MadAboutTheBois

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

"Sophisticated?", "Glamorous?", "Classic?" - Don't make me laugh! When I first spritzed this on I thought it was simply a cheap redo of Lalique by Lalique or Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain. As it dried down, however, it wasn't even on par with those mildly pleasing fragrances. Instead it smelled like an air freshener in a public bathroom or the"perfume" that comes packaged with little girls' dolls. I can't imagine why anyone would be duped by this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 3:49:00 PM More reviews by HelenVanPattersonPatton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Divine is similar to Joy for me in a couple of ways. Both are beautiful, floral, powdery fragrances...that give me a giant headache. INGREDIENTS: Peach, coriander, gardenia, Indian tuberose, May rose, oak moss, musk, vanilla, spice