October 25, 2014 | 1726 users online

Makeup Brushes - Shu Uemura - Powder brush 18R

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by sanonano

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Got the red one. When I use it I have red goat hair all over my face and I have to take time to pick it all off. People mention that it's soft. Uh no... mine wasn't that soft. I wish I could get my money back on this brush. My thoughts... baaaahhh-aaaahhhh....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by LadyKolie

First, I feel like I need to make a very obvious statement that descriptive words are very subjective. For example the word "soft", what one person my consider soft another person may actually find not very soft at all.

Now that the obvious is out of the way.

If you are looking for a brush that isn't for buffing in powder, but more like sweeping on powder, this brush provides a beautiful even finish. I think the "spring" in these bristle attribute to that factor. This brush picks up an excellent amount of powder with ease. The level of coverage depends on the level of coverage the powder itself provides. A denser brush will provide more coverage in one layer, but this brush provides even coverage and easily build-able coverage in layers (depending on the powder) While dipping this brush into a full coverage foundation powder, I get an even medium coverage easily. Meaning I can use less powder.

The Red Dye of the brush makes it really stand out, but personally I think it may have damaged the actual goat hairs themselves. drying them out making them more brittle than other brushes I own ( I own hakuhodo white goat hair as a comparison). I received the brush in a swap, and it seemed like the girl before didn't use it much at all, I did not ask how long she had owned it though. Looking back now, I probably should have asked. Goat hair needs to be used. Goat hair Naturally is quite oily. So Goat works incredibly well with oily skin without the brush becoming limp from the oils.

Though I think this brush is wonderful, and does exactly what I want it to do there are two issues for me.

First, being that the brush is dyed (or just dried out from lack of use by the previous owner) no how gentle I am with this brush, no matter how much I use it on my oily skin, no matter what soft cleanser and powerful moisturizer I use, the bristles of this brush are slowing breaking short. Like damaged hair on a person with anorexia (their hair starts to break off from lack of vitamins)

Second issue I have is that I personally have very sensitive skin, and due to that reason I find this brush to be a bit scratchy. If I do not put my powder on slowly and with a super gentle hand, I will very easily make my face hurt or feel rather uncomfortable.

With the Current $52 price tag I would like a brush that the bristles weren't so dry and rough. I am currently looking for a similar brush to replace this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2012 2:25:00 AM More reviews by astrael_nyx

The 18R, overall, is a great powder brush depending on what you want to use it for.

I like it for applying my Guerlain Meteorites illuminating powder for a soft glow targeted to certain areas. I also like it for blending my blush/contour/highlighter together and for softening up (with a bit of powder) too-intense applications of blush.

I've also used it to apply powder to set my liquid foundation/BB cream, but found it applied too thickly for my usual taste as compared to the Shu Uemura 27, which is less dense. However, I like a really light touch with powder, which mightn't be your taste.

Overall, it's a beautifully made brush. It's not super-soft, but it's pretty good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2011 4:49:00 AM More reviews by erika21

When I am done applying liquid foundation on my face, I set it with some loose powder with a powder puff. I use this brush to dust any excess loose powder off my face. The SA also told me that this brush will allow your powder to have a more natural finish.

I love this brush as it is really soft. I use Shu Uemura's brush cleaner to clean it every week and it feels even softer after each wash. I've had this brush for close to 2 years and it has shed very little hair so far. In fact, it looks almost brand new. For the first few washes with the brush cleaner, the red dye seems to come off a little, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Shu Uemura brushes are expensive. This brush is clearly not an exception but I feel that its wonderfully soft bristles make it worth it. I do not scrimp on makeup applicators as I firmly believe that the "applicators are just as important as the makeup itself". If it sounds familiar, it's because it is quoted by Bobbi Brown herself. I do not mind paying a higher price for high quality brushes. Further, good quality brushes can last a long time if well taken care of (that is until you decide that you want to have a new brush ).

To be completely practical, for those of you who are on a budget, this is a luxury product that is not an absolute must if you are just using it to "dust off loose powder and get a more natural finish". If you are using it to directly apply loose/compact powder to get a very natural look, this would be a great product. If you prefer better coverage, a kabuki brush would work better as its bristles are more densely packed, thereby allowing it to offer better coverage with a very even application.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2010 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Juliasyji

I got this at holt renfrew for like 60 dollars or something ridiculous. I jusy really liked the red lol.
It's a good brush for mineral makeup and all over face powder. It's made with goat hair and picked up powder very well. hence making it perfect for mineral makeup and all over face powder.
It's not as soft as other brushes I own (90% of my brushes are MAC) but still this is awesome for mineral makeup and powder application. It just picks up and clings onto a pretty hefty amount of makeup so you feel like ur getting a decent and even coverage.
It shed a little when I first got it, but stopped shedding after a wash.
Anyways, not AMAZING for the price- it could be softer. When I am buffing really fast in a hurry, it hurts my face a little.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Ritual

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a very soft brush, of course you can get softer brushes like Trish Mcevoy or Hakuhodo, but I'm happy with it, I love the hair color, I use it for very pigmented blushes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2009 9:39:00 PM More reviews by oneofmylies99

I have the brush with black bristles. I'm pretty disappointed with it. It's not as soft/silky as I'd like. I wouldn't consider it scratchy but the individual bristles are fairly broad and thick. The bristles are long and fluffy and distributes powder the way you'd expect a powder brush to. Because of that, I gave it 3 lipsticks but I wouldn't buy this again if I could go back in time. Nothing exceptional about it and not worth the $48 but nothing absolutely horrible about it either.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2009 10:41:00 AM More reviews by NikkiM225

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this brush! I got it about a month ago directly from Shu Uemura's website for $48. Yes, it's kinda expensive for a brush. However, the quality of the brush & it's performance blew me away. It's super soft on your skin and always picks up the right amount of powder. It puts on my powder like a professional. I expect that it will last me a very long time, but when it's time I will definitely buy another. It's the best brush I've ever used and I consider it an investment.

As for shedding, my brush has shed a couple of hairs, but it's been very minimal. Definitely not enough to make me return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2009 2:29:00 PM More reviews by cutepoms

This is brush works great. I have to admit that the price is rather expensive. But keep in mind, you get for what you paid for. Shu Uemura's makeup brushes are high in quality. Their brushes are all individually handcrafted. You may buy other brushes for a cheaper price, but they are in no way comparable to SU brushes.

The brush might be costly. But it will last you for years and years. So in the long run, it is better for the price. Very important note: ALWAYS buy your makeup brush from a cosmetic counter. Only items purchased at the cosmetic counter are considered the real authentic ones. Don't go cheap and purchase brushes from other places.

In overall, SU are the best. You won't be disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Hedd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this as well because of the MUA reviews. It was soft at first and then got scratchy after a few washes-now it sits alone in a clean storage bag. I like my badger and trucco powder brushes over this more expensive powder brush.