November 21, 2014 | 1763 users online

Loose Powders - Sue Devitt - Triple C-weed Loose Powder

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2014 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Megan18613

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really disappointed with this stuff. I bought it in the lightest shade, 'Quiet and Still', yet it was very orange based. I know it is not Sue Devitt's fault that I am extremely pale, but no product for your face should ever be orange.

The packaging is very impractical: as soon as I unscrew the lid, any powder that was sitting around the edge of the pot falls out, and the holes in the little filter -that sits on the powder- are far to small to get rid of any excess before tapping your brush into it.

The only good thing is I got this on sale at TK Maxx for only £1.99, but any money spent on a product that I hate is money wasted.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2010 11:15:00 PM More reviews by overcaffeine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow. Impressive coverage without using too much product. Does not feel heavy, but covers well (of course I still can't go without concealer under my eyes). This is so finely milled it feels like cream but goes on like a powder. It does not cake, does not settle into fine lines and gives enough coverage to cover broken capillaries on my left cheek. The only reason I'm giving it a 4 is that the shade I bought (Sandy Desert) is good enough but lacks a little yellow undertone while Nullarbor Plain (the next shade darker is a tad bit too dark.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2009 12:08:00 AM More reviews by zebraxing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Most days are minimal makeup days for me. Therefore, the ultimate test of any tinted skin application is whether or not it goes unnoticed. I'm not saying that I don't like coverage - I have areas on my face that appear to be one big brown scar, the bittersweet remains of cystic clusters, that I like to cover up, but NEVER to the point that my makeup becomes a mask. So when I tried out this powder for first time (around the house, on half my face), I did a sprightly dance when my partner pointed to the non-makeup side of my face and asked, "What's with all that makeup?" I think this is the ONE. I love how it blends during application (I've only used the included puff so far, to tap in on and then downward strokes to blend) and the feel of it on my skin afterwards (silky, not heavy or distractingly noticeable). I really hope this doesn't break me out - if it does, I'll be back to update. For reference, I have this in Great Sandy Desert and it seems to go on just slightly darker (bronzer?), and less yellow, than my NC30 Studio Fix Powder. EDIT: No breakouts, but holy oxidization! Must be my oilier summer skin. Minus 2 lippies, since this appears to be a wearable in winter only.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2008 12:27:00 PM More reviews by bumbles26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't really wear foundation/powder etc. much as I'm quite lucky to have relatively clear skin, but some days my skin looks dull / uneven or I want to cover up the old pimple marks I have...this is where this comes in...it is sooo wonderful! I tend to have dry to normal skin, and this is the one and only powder that I have tried that didn't make it look worse or feel tight! It made my skin glow so beautifully and when I touched it, it felt so soft and satiny. I'm truly amazed because I usually don't like powdery makeup. This doesn't cake up (As long as you don't pile it on), it has pretty decent coverage for a powder - I wear it on its own and it does the job well and the finish is lovely, doesn't accentuate my dry skin etc. I LOVE IT! For reference I'm a GGG, and the colour I got was Nullarbor Plain and the match is perfect. Try it if you've got dry-normal skin and don't have too many blemishes etc. Great stuff, will stock up! UPDATE: I found the colour too orangey for my face, made me look really odd. Can't be bothered to try a shade lighter, will not repurchase.

FURTHER UPDATE:

Bought this in Great Sandy Desert and it's a PERFECT match, I''ve never found a powder that blends in so well. Really love it, will buy again, highly recommended for anyone with dry skin. Make sure you try before you buy to ensure you've picked the right shade.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

ABOUT ME:I have combination, acne-prone skin and am on retinoids. At the time I tested this powder, I was recovering from a glycerin-induced breakout (DAMN YOU, GLYCERIN!!) and the skin treatments I was using contrived to make my already bumpy, clogged, and scarred skin also dry, dull and prone to flakiness. Given the state of my skin, I did not want a mattifying powder. I looked up top-rated loose powders here and chose Sue Devitt's C-weed powder since it was liked by a lot of dry-skinned types.

COLOR:I have light, yellow-toned skin (I'm usually the 2nd lightest of the warm shades in most cosmetics lines). I got this in Tanami first but it was about two shades too dark and made me look jaundiced. Quiet & Still was a better match (though not perfect) but would oxidize darker as the day went on . Bummer, since there are no lighter shades. These powders seem most suitable for those in the medium skintone range.

APPLICATION: I normally use a skunk brush to apply this in order to ensure a light, even application that won't disturb concealer. But sometimes I use the fat little puff that's included and that works very well too. Just sprinkle a little powder on the puff, fold it in half and rub in order to distribute the powder, then bang it on your hand once or twice to get rid of excess, then gently press onto skin to set makeup, etc. It's a tiny puff but
surprisingly cushy and not cheap-feeling.

LOOK: This is like perfect skin in a jar! Upon initial application with my Prescriptives bronzer brush (a jumbo-sized skunk brush), I got that coveted subtle glow--my skin looked like satin, but not artificially shiny or glittery. Any unevenness, bumpiness, flakiness, etc. was disguised beautifully but without compromising feel (this felt lighter than mineral makeup) and finish (gorgeous and natural). My dry bits did not look dry and my oily bits stayed under control. Overall, healthy and non-makeup-y if it's not applied very heavily.

WEAR: I went to class with my makeup looking pretty good, but expected it wouldn't last due to the humid weather. When I came home a few hours later, I checked my face and was surprised and happy to see that the powder was still on and 'working'--my skin still looked like great. My t-zone was a tad shinier than I prefer but it didn't look greasy.

PRICE: So I found that this stuff (in the old packaging) was going at ridiculously low prices on a certain auction website. But even at full price, it's not so bad. You get a very generous amount, however, and SD's prices are high-end but not outside the boundaries of reason like T. LeClerc or Chanel. As comparison: SD's powder is 25.5 grams, whereas Bobbi Brown's Sheer Loose Powder is a measly 7.5 grams. Even L'Oreal Translucide powder is only 14.5 grams. So this stuff is actually a bargain when you factor the amount you're getting for the price. And I do love the presentation of Sue Devitt products--it feels like you're getting a little gift :)

VERDICT: I think that if you have decent skin without any glaring blemishes or discolorations, this would be perfect on its own for giving a nice polish to the skin since it gives more coverage than most loose powders. I won't repurchase, though. After about two weeks of daily wear, I found that this clogged my pores and made me break out. Of course, YMMV (I have very cloggable skin). It's a good product and worth a try if you have dry skin, are not acne-prone and can get a decent color match.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2008 6:23:00 AM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While I'm definitely not a fan of the Triple C-Weed foundations, the loose powder is pretty good. It looks natural and didn't cause me to break out, and the color selection is adequate. I found the puff to be too small to use and not of the highest quality, so I use a brush instead. This doesn't control oil as well as I'd like, but otherwise it's not bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2007 7:11:00 PM More reviews by Chrysantza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great product, but best, I think, for mature skin. I'm over 40 and find that a lot of powders just cake up, settle into my fine lines and look dry. Sue Devitt's Triple C-weed Loose Powder doesn't do any of that on me; it offers a nice light dewy finish. I do get a little shiny around my nose and forehead if I'm running around all day in hot weather, but blotting papers take care of that; honestly I'd rather have a little shine than an aging, crepey, dry finish.

I'm a PPP, therefore my shade is Quiet & Still - the lightest. I do NOT use the puff that this comes with. Rather, I tap powder from the container into its lid, and use my powder brush to apply it over my foundation, concealer and cream blush if I'm using it. It disappears in and looks lovely, not at all powdery.

It's spendy, but well worth it for a powder that has natural ingredients in it and offers such a lovely, non-powdery finish. Plus a little goes a long way - I dip my brush in the powder, tap off the excess, and apply. You don't need much, so the somewhat small jar really does last.

Highly recommended for those who want a dewy finish, and who have dry or mature skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2007 4:01:00 AM More reviews by hoan86

This powder does what its meant too but I really don't notice that being any different than any other powders I've tried

I have the color in great sandy desert which is a great match. In the beginning I was already reaching for it but now I'm leaning towards Bare Escentuals makeup mroe often now and just leaving this in my cupboard

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2007 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Iriegirl

I've been using Sue Devitt's Loose Powder shade Summer Monsoon for approx. a year, which is a very flattery shade for a medium brown skin w/ golden undertone woman of colour. It definitely brightens my complexion but has a tendency to change colour. Also, it has very little oil controlling properties especially when hot and humid. It does a slightly above average job of controlling my oil in the fall to early spring months. The colour and texture of this powder is so fine and is best applied with a powder brush. I love how it looks very natural and gives a semi matte look when first applied. But as my oils break through especially on my T zone, on certain days (especially when really hot), my face can appear as an oil slick! Not attractive! Also, using a powder puff tends to make it appear slightly powdery on the skin. This is the only face makeup I'm using now as I can't find an acceptable face foundation colour for my skin tone yet there are reasonably good shades for black women of extremes (i.e., very light or very dark)...but when it comes to medium tone black women, they seem to exclude us! Also, the price of this powder is mighty expensive. I can't recall the exact price but I believe it was over $40 CND not including taxes. But then again, I recall spending more for my bobbi brown pressed powder that was more pricier and the absolute worst in oil control. I would definitely recommend this product to those wanting a finishing powder but not an oil controlling powder. UPDATE: July 31, 2008. I no longer use this product. I haven't been using it for the past 2 weeks or so. I previously indicated, it has minimal shine control. Also, it doesn't give a good coverage. Plus, it does darken after wear for several hours. Probably best as a finishing powder. I have therefore changed my overall rating to a *2* star. I need something slightly heavier and a shine control powder like MUFE Duo Matt Powder Foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2007 5:58:00 AM More reviews by ILOVEDIOR

I tried the product after reading reviews here, but I don't like it as much as I anticipated. I do like that it does not feel dry and looks very natural in terms of coverage, but the color turns a bit ashy(?) on my complexion once it gets mixed with my skin oil. Got it dirt cheap on ebay so I'm not so mad about it, but I think this will be used only at night when I go clubbing (so you can't really tell what it looks like in the dark! hehehe).