Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream

4.2

INGREDIENTS: WATER,C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, GLYCERIN, CETYL ALCOHOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, OCTYL HYDROXYSTEARATE, DIMETHICONE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, RETINOL, PANTHENOL, DISODIUM EDTA, TOCOPHEROL, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, POLYSORBATE 20, TRIETHANOLAMINE, MRTHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, BHT, CARBOMER.

I tried this after reading a multitude of reviews and research on retinol creams. I used it only at night, and introducing it gradually by alternating it with my usual creams, so as to avoid overdrying (which is common when adding retinoids to one's regimen).

My skin is dehydrated, as I live in an extremely arid climate, quite thin, and while not acne-prone, I tend to get little bumps sometimes (i.e., the non-inflamed type, that produce little strings of sebaceous filaments.. [sorry for the image]). I didn't expect this to moisturize much if at all, given that it absorbs quickly and my skin feels immediately parched, in addition to just being retinol. But I was hoping for *something* beneficial. Unfortunately, after many attempts (I would give myself a break here and there to be sure it was this cream doing the work), I concluded that this definitely contributed to clogged pores and an abundance of painful bumps. Indeed, I got cysts for the first time after using this cream. And this happened after each bout of trialing it. Ouch!

I actually thought my little crow's feet and face lines (small though they are, at just under 30 years old) looked MORE pronounced after using this, probably because it was so drying. Granted, retinoids are supposed to take years before you see the effects, but I would genuinely prefer the facial lines to the cystic bumps and tired, dull looking skin, so I'll never use this again.

Perhaps if you have oilier skin, live in a very humid climate, and/or tolerate retinol well, this will be a better fit for your skin.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this cream. I use it as my day cream under foundation. I was using it as a night cream as well but started using the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair at night and this during the day. I feel that is does help reduce wrinkles and my face looks brighter. Will definitely repurchase. It is gentler than the Rapid Wrinkle Repair and I had no problem with sensitivity.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using this cream for at least 2 years now, every other day in the morning or at night. I'm in my mid-thirties and don't have a lot of wrinkles, so I can't really vouch for its anti-wrinkling properties (yet), but the texture is light, the smell is inoffensive, it didn't clog me or irritate my skin.

I'm honestly not sure about the SPF because I always thought retinol was supposed to be used at night, so it's a little pointless, but I suppose I should try the night version next time. I don't use this product as a sunscreen anyway. I have generally dry skin and this cream doesn't moisturize at all. It leaves my skin almost as dry and flaky as it is before applying it. I always use it in combination with another moisturizer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best product I have found for my wrinkles. I'm 55 and I do have a prescription for Retin-A however I find it too strong and my face gets red and peels even though I wait an hour after washing and don't use it every day. With Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-wrinkle I use it every day and I see the results in my skin. It does look healthy. It's very inexpensive so I was surprised that it works so great! I have used it for over a year now and will continue to use it. It has been much better than the more expensive brands.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I can feel the difference when I stop using it so for me at least there is skin smoothening for some of my fine lines.

Side effects do have a tingling even burning sensation with a medium amount of dryness. If I don't moisturise my skin would be a mess. This is not new information for regular retinol users but it might help newbies who're dipping their toes and might get alarmed.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

My review is for the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle cream/NIGHT. I only use it at night as a retinol product and not as a moisturizer, therefore I am not disappointed that it is not moisturizing enough for me. Even though I have mature, combo skin, I still need good moisturization and I don't rely on this product for that.

The way I look at the product is that it is a retinol with some moisturizing properties that may help it not be as drying or cause as much redness.

So the way I use it is at night, on cleansed, toned skin and after I have applied my DIY vitamin C serum and my BHA lotion, with time between the products to let them absorb, I apply this product, let it absorb and then apply a moisturizer.

Also, I would not use a retinol in the daytime because I live in Florida, and the sun diminishes the benefits of the retinol from my understanding.

A final note. The reason I only give it a 4 out of 5 is because I understand this is a drugstore product and not a medical grade retinoid. Therefore, I don't expect it to be able to give the same results as one. But I do feel it important to have a retinol product in my skincare, even if it is not medical grade.

I hope this review is helpful, because I think there were some recent changes to either this product or a change of its name, and these are just my opinions.

UPDATE: 10/9/2015
I have added 0.025% tretinoin cream to my regimine and after a few months of using it once a week, have just increased it to twice a week and apply it sparingly, and have had no irritation or redness.
The rest of the week I continue to use the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream (NIGHT) and will continue to do so. I love this product and the benefits it shows for my skin. And the price is still a bargain compared to the medical grade retinoids.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a good product, but if you have older dry skin I'd suggest this isn't strong enough to give skin that plumped up feeling of complete moisturization.

I was tired of spending so much on skin care and got suckered into this from all the good reviews on here but it was a huge mistake for me. If you have skin problems such as really dry and hyperpigmentation do not waste your time and money. I ended up with angry red sun spots and dry flakey spots it was awful. I got me some nars and it fixed everything pretty quickly but this was a bad experience. If you are very young with great skin then go for it but if you have problems don't do it, you will regret it.

I just bought this last night and I don't want to speak too soon but so far it is amazing! I'm only 22 but I've had pretty prominent forehead wrinkles (I'm guessing they are genetic) since high school. Already my skin looks really dewy, smooth, and healthy after two uses. If this doesn't break me out I will definitely continue to purchase when I run out. Could be potential HG material. Very easy to find also. Got it at Walmart for around $13. Decently sized and clean, sanitary packaging. Fingers crossed!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

EDIT Aug.7,2015: Removed 1 lippie~I've had this for 7 months, and the chemical/sulfuric smell is horrid! Never noticed it before, and it shouldn't have gone bad already. It definitely causes some pimples.
ORIGINAL: Feels less moisturizing than Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Lotion, which surprises me. It makes my skin look a bit flat, and has caused a few pimples. Cream has retinol. Lotion has AHAs. I prefer the lotion - keeps my skin looking more radiant. But I like that the cream keeps my skin from looking oily throughout the day. It smells faintly of sunscreen, which I like. Dispenser is just a plain metal tube - not sanitary. I much prefer the lotion for the pump dispenser and cleaner feeling of the product on my skin.