April 16, 2014 | 1975 users online

Eyeliner - Cover Girl - Smoothers Eye Liner

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Jexka

I had run out of my Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Zero, and someone told me that this product was similar to the 24/7 pencils. So I picked this up in Onyx, the blackest shade, and soon realized that was some of the worst advice I could have ever taken.
The only good thing about this is that it is a nice, deep shade of black -- not the soft blacks and greys that drugstore liners usually tend to end up being. So it'd be nice if you could actually get this onto your eyes and make it stay there! This pencil is so ridiculously soft that the tip literally crumbles to pieces the second you try to line your eyes with it. This results in a big chunk of liner resting on your cheek, which, no matter how lightly you try to brush or flick it off, will leave a big ol' black streak down your face. It's really fun to deal with when you've already finished your face makeup.
Then, you go to try to sharpen this in a second attempt to line your eyes. That's gonna take you a good 5 minutes or so, because the liner is so soft that it crumbles and breaks with every turn of the sharpener. The liner gets all mushy and sticks all over the sharpener, so then you have to clean your sharpener immediately after use. Do you see how long it's taking just to line your eyes?
In the one time out of 50 that you can actually make a full line with this before it crumbles to pieces, the liner decides it doesn't like being on your eyes and smears and migrates off, no matter what. I've tried every primer I own, using this over shadows, under shadows...you're going to have some fierce raccoon eyes within a few hours. Don't even try this on your lower waterline. It'll be halfway down your face in minutes.
I haven't seen these Smoothers around in a while, so hopefully CoverGirl got smart and discontinued them. I would never wish a product this bad on anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Tringo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first eyeliner at the tender age of 14. I am now in my twenties and have tried various eyeliners at this point. I have tried expensive so-called high-end eyeliners and special eyeliners that promise to come off smoother than any other, but CG's SEL remains my eyeliner HG. It goes on very smooth, without having to press to hard and it is also very precise. I love a lot of higher end foundations, shadows, and lip colors, but I will always stick to this drug store makeup staple.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2009 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Ketol

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

As everyone has stated, it smudges, it breaks off making it almost impossible to sharpen.
I'd purchased this about a year ago in the quartz color. It's a pearly/white, and I'd intended to line my bottom inner eye with it. HA! Little pieces break off into my eye. Just horrible. I was cleaning out my makeup and found this in my basket, no wonder it was sitting in the bottom of the basket! If this were free I'd not use it again. I bought it because of the color and creaminess....but its useless when you can't sharpen it and use any. More than half is in the trashcan because you simply can't sharpen it to a point AT ALL.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2009 3:26:00 PM More reviews by savayus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like many of you said this eyeliner just breaks breaks and breaks all the time, the only thing I liked was the color (navy) otherwise I will never repurchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2009 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Mees

I agree with the rest of the reviews, this eyeliner smudges pretty bad.. but i use it as a light shadow under my black eyeliner, which creates a nice effect.

P.s. can the nxt reviewer please tell me if this is retractable? because mine wouldn't budge and i was wondering if it was like that?.. like.. you get only the amount of product you see?..

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 2:30:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an OK pencil..not very easy to put on...and it doesn't last very long...I rather get my $15 MAC pencil...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2008 2:07:00 AM More reviews by JustMeas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank goodness I paid only a dollar for this at dollar tree.
This pencil is too soft; impossible to sharpen. Chucking it in the freezer didn't work. The bit you get to use is pretty in color but hellish for the smudging making it impossible for liner use. I tried this as an eyebrow filler, nope. What didn't come off with a fluffy powder puff blot, rubbed off with slight bang brushings. Even for a buck, will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2008 1:03:00 AM More reviews by lub1na

I really liked this product. It made my eyes pop, I got the aqua-looking color. I can see why people gave it low ratings though; it does smear (perfect to use as eyeshadow) and fades massive over time. But it's so easy to use that I'm willing to overlook it all. I took out one lippy because it's not really an "eyeliner". Smears way too bad.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2008 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ToxicMegacolon

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Uh...if you want a eyeSHADOW, this is pretty nice. A smooth color pencil that can easily be smudged into your lids and if you use some sort of primer, stays fairly well.

If you wanted an eye LINER, oh heck no. This doesn't stay the 4mins it took me to get from my apartment to the lobby. It smudged like crazy all night and by the time I got home, it was basically either all in my creases, or just gone. Its too soft to be a liner, and too smudgy to really do anything else. Even as a shadow it smears and disappears in about a few hours.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2008 11:00:00 AM More reviews by prettyinhotpink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Worst Eyeliner Ever. I have this in a chocolate shade and all it does is SMUDGE SMUDGE SMUDGE. I put it on and within literally 5 minutes I look like I have racoon eyes and it takes days to fully be gone. I use Clinique eye product removal and a cotton ball/Q-tip but then in the morning, there's magically brown under my eyes again even though it looked like I removed it all.

Does it go on Smoothly? Sure..but b/c the consistency is so silky and soft and it glides on, it also glides all over your eye and the pigment for this shade it very very strong/dark. It looks overwhelming and just horrific.
Do not buy in the classic chocolate/brown shade.