July 26, 2014 | 1541 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Eye Enhancers Trio - Shimmering Sands

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This trio is holy grail for me, I'm too cheap to buy a naked palette, and these offer a wonderful nude look for about $4. The colors, although natural in tone offer just the right amount of shimmer and generally last well, although I would suggest primer to keep them from blending together. I highly, highly recommend these.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2014 1:49:00 PM More reviews by purplerose95

A lovely palette I use almost everyday. I mostly use the shimmery white beige colour on my lids, the other two colours are occasionally used in the eye crease. The eyeshadows are well pigmented, just make sure to use a primer so they don't come off too soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by pinkypink96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this! I love using this with a gold cream eyeshadow underneath. I have never gotten so many compliments on an eye shadow! I have so many eyeshadows and this is the only one I hit pan on. I love it and I will be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by kamiller1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to eyeshadow trio. So easy to blend and looks so pretty and natural! I'm 41 and the shimmer is pretty low-key for us "older" gals (you're only old as you feel, lol)...honestly, this is so easy to use that just from the application alone, you can just apply and go...no blending required. This trio is THAT awesome :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by staci13

I have used this since 2002 when I saw it sitting on a friends bathroom countertop and I decided I needed to get my own since I had always loved my friends natural yet sophisticated eyeshadow look. The packaging is what can be expected from CoverGirl, the price and availability are good. As other users have remarked, this is not the most pigmented eyeshadow trio. That isn't an issue for me, as I do like the color that is imparted. I tend to use the middle color most, and always hit the pan on that color before the others, if I ever even hit the pan on the other colors before buying a new set. The colors are smooth and blend nicely and have decent staying power, that is easily improved with an eyeshadow primer. I would recommend this for someone who likes to wear makeup, but doesn't like the look of being overly made up.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this trio, and I've been using it for the last 15 years. It might not be the most pigmented palette on the market, and most certainly not at this price point what with Wet n Wild eyeshadows packing a real punch these days, but this palette is just so...easy.

The shades are all perfectly matched, including what has to be one of my favorite mid tone grey leaning taupes. The pigmentation is admittedly not great, but for an everyday eye look, I don't need intense pigmentation. I just need to look nice, and that's what this does. If I don't feel like thinking about my eye makeup and just want a reliably good look, I'll always grab this.

The one downside to this palette is that the shades are, indeed, all shimmering. It is exactly what it says it is. They are not glittery, but they do have a lot of shine. I could have used the darkest color being matte, but then I guess it wouldn't be Shimmering Sands then, would it.

The shadows are not chalky and blend out nicely. The packaging is ye olde standarde Covergirl trio packaging, which is neither here nor there. I love the compact size and typically take this as my only palette on vacations. It's a fantastic little basic trio.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have a ton of shadows, but Shimmering Sands is one of those trios that I can slap on haphazardly if I'm in a rush and don't have time to perfect a smokey eye and it will still look good. Some have reviewed that it is a lot of frost, but little pigmentation and that is true. This isn't a super pigmented palette. It is, however, very pretty and the colors are classic Cover Girl eyeshadow from my youth. Colors that go with just about anything you're wearing. Colors that are safe and you can screw up the application and they'll still look alright.

I have found that even though the first pass isn't very pigmented, with the darkest brown you can use a really good angled crease brush and sweep that into the crease to the outer lid corner and it looks really nice. When applied over an eyeshadow primer it lasts for quite some time without the colors getting muddied together, which is nice.

Okay, so it's kind of a boring trio. I'll give it that. Compared to an Urbay Decay or even a Wet 'n Wild trio it's a total snooze fest, but it's good basic trio. It would really be perfect for someone who is new to wearing makeup and wants a fool proof shadow palette that applies easily and the level of frost sort of covers any application mistakes.

All in all this is one of those must-have trios to keep in your collection, even if it's just for those days you don't have enough time to put a lot of time and energy into applying shadow.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by tealeafy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Short version : I was expecting a light 'n gauzy wash of shimmery nude colour on my lid, and I got unpigmented fros-ti-ness. Disappointing stuff.

Longer version : although my most trustworthy makeup items are higher end products (Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Nars), I am no makeup snob (YSL eyeshadows, Guerlain terracotta, to name a few, were big flops as far as I am concerned) and I am partial to drugstore gems (such as Prestige eyeliners or Wet 'n Wild blushers). After all, it's all marketing, innit?
I tried this trio because of the great reviews here, and because the colours in the pan reminded me of my all time favourite palette Nude on Nude by Bobbi Brown (which I had to throw away because it was about to go walkies after almost 10 years... ahem).

That shimmering sands thing is not good value, considering I swatched the shades once on my eyelids, and decided to put the palette away somewhere and forget about it forever (even though I'll remember it was 8 Canadian dollars down the drain). It is just frost : white frost, ever so slightly peachier frost, and ever so slightly browner frost (the latter goes on patchy on my eyelid).
Again, disappointing stuff. But at least, I didn't pay a huge amount of money for it. This experience killed my Wet 'n Wild lemmings there and then, and I promptly went out to purchase some Inglot shades which I'm quite satisfied with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Anselfan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this in high school and came back to using it again in my mid-thirties. A few more years after wearing it consistently, it is--by far--my favorite eyeshadow brand and set of shades. It lasts all day, and I have even received compliments from men when I wear it. It is a great value! I will cry if CG ever discontinues it or changes the formula.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by crobertson01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Great neutral palette. Wonderful for an every day look. My only wish would be for the lightest shade and the medium shade to be a little more pigmented. I have to build quite a few layers for a more dramatic look. Probably can't be beat for the price, though.