October 1, 2014 | 1358 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Eau d'Hadrien

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

We've just had the first warm weekend of the year in London, and I've dug out the Eau d'Hadrien and installed it in my handbag for frequent booster sprays. I never wear it in cold weather but when it's sunny or humid this (and un Jardin sue le Nil) are just fantastic. Eau d'Hadrien is lemony, herbal and deliciously bright and cooling. Unfortunately, as with most AG scents, it has no persistance and needs to be topped up during the day, but on the bright side my office smells fabulous each time. I am currently pregnant and I am finding a lot of scents borderline nauseating, but this smells as great as ever - a true classic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 9:07:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love, love the way this smells like fresh lemon, slightly astringent and bitter, bracing, and sharp lemon rind, a little sweet juice, and hint of bitter pine. You could say it is similar to lemon Pledge, but I don't think so as it has a tart elegance that the chemical Pledge does not. I also have the perfumed body cream and that is sweeter, and juicier. Just like the juice of freshly cut lemons without the rind. just like the real thing.

One lippy off because the lasting power is poor, an hour or so. It is expensive to if you find the price outrageous for such a fleeting perfume, perhaps try the deliciously refreshing 4711 Eau de Cologne which doesn't last much longer but is like 1/10 the price. Or the spicier mid-range Clarins Eau Dynamisante which lasts for 4 - 5 hours.

Eau d'Hadrian doesn't age well in the bottle and can quickly sour so its best to buy a young bottle and use it up quickly, don't store or collect it, just enjoy it.

I also have Eau du Sud (lime and herbs), which is has sweeter top notes and a dusty, not quite powdery dry down. Both are great splurges for citrus lovers.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by kbono23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love the first spray but fades horribly on me. : ( can't see myself buying this again sadly! back to Chanel no.5 for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2013 4:55:00 PM More reviews by renijp

I trully don't understand. I'm brazilian aspiring to study in Sorbonne and was going to a summer course in The Hague followed by a sejour in Paris... So, Annick Goutal, from the Netherlands, became a perfurmer and owns a all frenchy store in the St Germain De Près... All combined, it was on my list to find one of her frangrances, buy and fall in love.
After testing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g i couldn't fall in loge with none. Close came Songes and Eau de Charlotte, but not quite yet. Got Eau d'Hadrien for my mother who's obsessed with citrous fragrances. She never whore it, i try and it gives me headache and a don't like the smell either.
At first spritz it has a smoky smell, lemon and pine comes later but to mee it smells syntethic. And I was loving the idea of the brand, about every perfume was inspired by a travel or memory, the stunning botles, but the final product unforntunally... I trully don't get the positive reviews. Staying power of several fragrances are week. Is it the case where we want to like the brand and disregard the faults of the products?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 3:19:00 AM More reviews by KeLLsTar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had given up searching for a my perfect Summer lemon fragrance when I stumbled upon Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal.

You wouldn't think much from the name or the packaging (especially the square bottle). So many perfumes these days rely on attractive bottles to make you try a scent (and it certainly works!). Annick Goutal bottles all look the same so you really have to rely on word of mouth/reviews, an eyecatching name or good ol' perseverance to find a scent for you in this range.

Fragrance notes: Sicilian Lemon, Grapefruit, Green Mandarin, Cypress, Aldehydes, Ylang-Ylang

Eau d'Hadrien is simple, classy & super-wearable. It is also an addictive scent & really energising. definitely a form of aromatherapy.

This fragrance starts with a super fresh just cut lemon scent, not long after a lovely fresh grapefruit & mandarin combines with the lemon. The scent is very natural & it is deliciously juicy. Just when you think you have Eau d'Hadrien figured out the cypress/aldeydes gives it a small unusual herb type quality & the ylang- ylang gives it a tiny soft edge.

I usually choose this fragrance when it's warm, or I don't feel like a complicated perfume. It is also perfect when I need a pick-me-up. You know how you just have days like that?

I see many people compare this perfume to cleaning products, well I don't use lemon cleaning products often & the ones that I have used certainly don't smell like this!

Eau d'Hadrien works for anytime of year, however is simply perfect for Summer.

This perfume is termed as Unisex. Whenever I see the word "unisex" I'm very weary as the scent usually still leans on one side (be that masculine or feminine - usually the former) however Eau d'Hadrien is neither & I would most probably call it Asexual as it is neither feminine, nor masculine if you know what I mean.

Lasting power is not too bad on my skin, I get a few hours out of the EDT. It will last even longer if you layer it over moisturiser. The scent seems to lie close to the skin but I get lovely whiffs of it during the day.

It also seems like a perfect layering scent, I am eager to try it with vanilla or sandalwood as I think they would compliment it very well.

There seems to be two different bottles - the square one (which seems to be marketed to men) and the tall bottle (see both above). I have a small square bottle - it is great as it lets you control how much you use, whether it be a dribble, half squirt or a full spray. Some perfume bottles only let you do a full spray or none at all. I might be way off base, but I feel that this shows the quality of the nozzle.

I highly recommend you try Eau d'Hadrien!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by dominika99

Confession: I'm a heavy oriental spice, vanilla and patchouli whore who was recently struck with having nothing to wear during the long, hot and humid days of summer.

Eau d'Hadrien is light, citrusy and refreshing, and so not my style. But I bought it on sale and it has been a lifesaver on those hot days when I kept it in the fridge and spritzed it on for much-needed refreshment after waking up in sweat in an un-air conditioned apartment.

It starts with a burst of lemon and stays very linear, with a nod to the crispness of classics like Dior's Eau Sauvage.

The problem is lasting-power. Like so many Goutals, this lasts about an hour tops on my skin. Nice for a summer fling, but not something that I'd pay full-price for.

Do all refreshing and light summer scents have to be so fleeting? The Middle Eastern oils I bought in Egypt (orange blossom, white floral,) say otherwise. And I prefer them for summer - I can do citrus and refreshing, and still have some oomph.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by IcedTeaChick

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tested this at Saks. At first I was like ahhh lemon goodess :) Even my hub said hmmm very lemony and clean, unfortunately, it started to dry down and smelled exactly like lemon pledge on me. I like how my house smells when I use lemon pledge, but that's not what I want to smell like.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2012 2:34:00 PM More reviews by lisawardddd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been on a search for the perfect lemony scent for years, since first smelling it on a ballet teacher I had in fifth grade. I had nearly given up hope when I read a magazine review of a fragrance called Lemon Cloud. I googled it found that luckyscent provides (paid) samples and while requesting that, stumbled upon Annick Goutal's eau H'adrien. The Lemon Cloud was forgettable but the AG was THE ONE! My goodness -- it's the perfect bit of lemon and warmth on my skin and feels like heaven. Of course the price is outrageous (for me) so I ended up buying a brand new tester of the men's bottle online. So happy to have found my lemon!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by trishcat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A great warm weather scent. It's lemony for sure but not in a silly plasticky way. It settles into my skin and stays for the day (I have the EdP, the EdT doesn't have staying power on me). Husband loves it on me, and he is picky about perfumes. It's not super sweet, which is such a great change for citrus scents. Spraying it on as I get dressed in the morning helps wake me up, for real.

Tonight I was doing laundry and got a whiff of it in a cardigan I wore the other day. I kept sniffing the cardigan!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2012 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Merrie1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So I went to Nordstroms to test their meager Annick supply. This was one of three (the others being Petite Cherie and Gardenia Passion).

I have no prejudice against Lemony scents. I happen to love Fresh Sugar Lemon (no staying power though) and Jo Malone Verbanas (also no staying power). I love wearing lemon in the spring/summer because it's bright and happy.

I can say that this lasts a very long time, something I thought was impossible in a lemon scent. It also smells a bit more complex than my two favorites. But to me it smelt a little like pledge cleaning spray. I don't really know why.. this is a well loved fragrance that many celebrities and mua celebrities adore. I'm going to chalk it up to my body chemistry. The Nordstroms SA was nice enough to give me a sample so I will update if it ends up smelling better to me. I can still smell the drydown on my skin 6 hours later though (and my skin eats perfume). And it is pleasant and does not resemble cleaning fluid. The first hour-two definitely did.