August 1, 2014 | 2157 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - Make-Up Optional 4-piece Kit

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 8:37:00 PM More reviews by dag4321

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This kit is horrible. I actually have pretty good skin, hardly ever break out. I broke out so bad with this, with horrible cystic pimples. Read reviews indicating it would get better , not the case. It has been over a month and my skin is awful, not only am I wearing more make up than ever I have big discolorations from breaking out. Waste for sure

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by gemstoneruby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased the kit for dry, sensitive skin.

Every product included besides the cleanser made my skin burn, sting, itchy, irritated, and red,

I have to return this, waste of time. Dont buy this!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2010 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Rice27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I think I just have the toughest, worst skin ever. This kit did nothing for me after a few month of use. I can't say it made anything worse either, there was just no difference. I've battled with rough, uneven, skin tone for a long time and I'm still looking for the right products. On top of that, I have really bad cystic acne but I bought this kit primarily for my skin tone, which like I said, didn't change. For the price of it, I'm not sure if I would buy it again even if it had changed!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by sweethartz

I dont know what to say about this product. i just absolutely love it!! When im in my almost one month of using this, and let me tell you, after the first week, i broke out so much on the side of my face that i have ever seen!!! normally i get one or two pimples here and there when its that time of the month, but never have i had so many red dots on my face. so i stopped using Philosophy for a few days, until my face started clearing up, then i went back to my Philosophy routine. 3 weeks later, my skin is clear, and better than before!!! Today, while i was getting ready to go out, after i applied my "Hope in a Jar" and my face primer, i realized that i dont need any foundation. Just some concealers under the eyes. im someone who will never go out without foundations, and today, i felt so confident about my skin that i am able to go out "naked." I love everything in this kit!! i also have included the Philosophy's boosters cap and the vitamin c powder in my routine. i will definitely buy again, even tho i find the price is so unfair. $78 USD vs $102 CAD. everything is more expensive here in Canada. Now i know why its called "Make Up Optional"

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this on a trip to New York only last week having read about all there products, i got a facial at the counter in macys and the lady asked loads of questions to get me the right products . i have spent so much money trying to sort out my large pores and oily skin , but i am so glad i got this my skin has never been this good . usually an hour after i put my make up on my skin is oily and horrible today no oily skin at all !! i was over the moon. Im convinced its the hope in the bottle doing the job i am in love with Philosophy also all my little bumps on my forhead are gone :) i am also using there, never let them see you shine primer which im sure is helping. Money well spent.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2009 3:19:00 AM More reviews by emmasgrandma50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just begain using the "dry, sensitive" 4-piece kit and so far, so good. I am already seeing the clarity of my skin improving. So far am very pleased!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by slb74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using the kit for congested skin about 4 weeks ago, and for the first time in probably 20 years, I did not have a monthly breakout! I use the cleanser every night, along with the moisturizer and Hope In a Tube. I only use the serum a couple times a week. This stuff works wonders!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2009 5:57:00 PM More reviews by js1209

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have always liked Philosophy's skin care products and purchased this kit as it was a great value and way to try out more of their products. I also have oily skin that it prone to breakouts -- and this kit HAS NOT made my skin breakout. I didn't expect to use all the products when I purchased the kit -- but now religiously use everyone of them, including the eye/lip cream. The Purity cleanser is really gentle,makes my skin very soft and effectively removes all my makeup in one step. The When Hope is Not Enough serum does have a unique smell -- I don't mind it but I can see that not everyone would like it. The Hope in the Bottle serum makes my skin look really dewy. I will definitely re-purchase this kit and these products. I do the Philosophy Micro-Delivery facial peel 1-2x weekly with these products. Maybe that is why this isn't clogging my pores at all? I have definitely noticed a visible difference with my skin using these products. I do think that they are more for daytime use. I am 39 and would like a thicker moisturizer for night-time use -- I've used a L'Occitaine moisturizer that I liked better for night-time. I'm also tempted to add a retinol cream into my routine at night... Overall, I think that these products work as well or better that much more expensive skincare products and are a real value.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2009 1:29:00 PM More reviews by msapali

This is a review for the Congested Skin kit.

Is this kit making anyone else breakout? I have combo skin- usually oily but sometimes dry, flaky patches during winter or if I don't exfoliate and moisturize. I am new to this line and started with this kit. I have been using this kit now both am + pm for 6 days. I don't really have bad acne. My face is pretty clear except during TTOTM which was why I got this kit instead of the acne kit. But ever since I started using this kit, I've been breaking out like crazy!!!!!! I just had my period 2 weeks ago (sorry, too much info there) so my skin should be as clear and soft as a baby's bottom. But it's worse than how I get them even during TTOTM! It seems like everytime I use it, I get a new painful zit. I have like 10+ pimples since I have used this- NO JOKE (although I wish I was!) I 've read a lot of reviews that have said it could be a result of your skin purging. I'm npt sure if this is happening because I changed skincare lines to use this kit and this is the first time I'm using Philosophy. But I don't know how much longer I'm willing to wait and see if I get results. It seems like the more I use this kit the more I breakout and I don't know why because I was liking the products.
The purity cleanser really smells good and is soft. It feels to me more like a lotion as I'm putting it on.
The serum at first had a werd smell but I've grown to like it. I don't really see that it's made a difference to my skin yet (besides the breakouts). There's no glow and lines haven't been dimiinished, but it's probably too soon to tell. It really is like a water consistency and dries up really quickly. When it does, you might not like the sticky feeling it has, but it does go away so don't think your face will be sticky the whole day. (I started mixing this with the booster c powder 3 days ago).
The hope in a bottle really is mattifying. Doesn't leave your face looking oily. The smell isn't great but it's way better than hope in a jar (That stuff is grosssss!!!) It's supposed to have salicylic acid and to prevent breaouts. (Then why and I getting them?)
I'm don't really like the hope in a tube. I don't think you could where this during the day because it leaves your eyes looking greasy, almost like you are sweating but just under your eye. Probably better just for pm. But all this does it keep your eyes soft. This hasn't diminished my lines under my eyes. Wouldn't purchase this ever!

I'm probably going to suck it up and use this another week. If my breakouts get worse than they are now (if that's possible) then I'm going to have to return this kit and look for something else because kits for acne proned skin are supposed to make your blemishes go away not make them worse. This was my first Philosophy product and I am not impressed at all. If I return this I don't think I would buy anything from their skincare line. If you do buy this, use with caution! Prepare to stay at home until your face clears up.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2008 8:42:00 AM More reviews by thlewis

I thought it was just me...glad to know it's not! I don't have an acne problem but wanted a good skin care regime to follow. Since so many people raved about this line, I decided to give it a try. Luckily I got a gift card from Sephora, so I didn't have to spend my own money.

After using this product for mere days, my skin broke out on my cheeks with red, raised bumps. Even my husband said my skin looked bad. I have NEVER broken out on my cheeks...only on my chin and forehead occassionally. So needless to say, I was not a happy camper.

I returned this mess back to Sephora with the quickness!!

As for the reviewer that NEVER used the product but said that it 'purges' the skin, so it will get worse before it gets better, a product should SOLVE a problem...not create one that isn't there to begin with.