July 22, 2014 | 1102 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Aqua Marina Cleansing Roll

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the 3rd cleanser I use from LUSH. Previously I'd used Herbalism and Dark Angels both of wish I enjoyed. I think one thing needs to be clarified: this is NOT a makeup remover. If you're looking for remover-cleanser together try something like Neutrogena Naturals Cleanser + Makeup Remover.

That being said, this is an excellent cleanser for the skin. Since it does not remove makeup I use it only in the mornings when my skin is free of makeup and needs to be soothed from the night before. This is excellent for this. I don't have sensitive skin or rosacea but if you do you might absolutely love this. It's very soothing and calming, not abrasive at all. It's not a soap and it doesn't foam so it took me a few times to get used to the lack of 'squeaky clean' feel soap cleansers leave. After finding out that is actually bad for you and with getting older I find this is excellent for that purpose. To tell the truth I've been using it about 3 weeks and I've yet to get a pimple which I usually do. Excellent stuff, I highly recommend you get a sample and try it for yourself.

How to use: place a dime-size chunk on the palm of your hand and add a small amount of water. You're going to work the product and the water together until it's pasty. Rub it between your hands and on your face. I even use it over my eyes and it doesn't sting. Massage in skin for a few seconds and rinse off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2014 11:52:00 PM More reviews by KaiteKins

I use this in the morning as my facial cleanser. It is very soothing and calming to my sensitive skin. I don't think this would be effective to remove makeup and it does have a weird smell, like many Lush products. If you have sensitive skin this may be the one for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by CuteMo

This is kind of an awkward review because as a cleanser, I find this does not work at all. I wear very little makeup but this stuff didn't even take off the powder I was wearing. That being said, my skin did react well to it. My skin usually has a bit of redness to it but the Aqua Marina calmed it down considerably. The day I got this sample, I had a cystic pimple forming (which I rarely get), but it went away so much faster than ever before. My only other gripe with this is the scent. I don't normally like to buy LUSH because their stuff is so heavily scented and contain parabens, but I might make an exception for this product.

Overall, I'd use this as a mask rather than a cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

I snagged a small sample of this and I have to say it really exceeded my expectations! I wasn't too fond of the smell...there's something bitter or sour amongst it, but I eventually got used to it, and it took on a salty sea sort of smell (because of the seaweed...duh). When you mix this with water it becomes this creamy, strawberry milk-like consistency. I found it was a little hard to get all of it emulsified, so it's something you have to work at a little. When I massaged this into my face and rinsed it off, my skin felt super clean, but not tight. Whenever I break out my breakouts get angry red, and being very pale, they stick out quite a bit. I find this stuff toned the redness down and calmed my skin down in general. It's one of the most gentle cleansers I've used from Lush, and I'll definitely be purchasing a full pot!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by TaraMor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first bought this product 6 years ago-ish. I purchased it once, decided it was only okay and never bought it again. At that time I was suffering from acne around my mouth/chin area. I would have 3 or 4 full blown white heads at any given time and plenty of scarring. The cleanser did nothing for these breakouts other than soothe them. I was also using the cleanser wrong which may be another reason it was not as effective. I was using it as a makeup remover cleanser, which is not what it is designed for. Now I have my acne under control but I now suffer from eczema patches occasionally ( more so in the Winter). I decided to re-buy Aqua Marina because I was looking for a soothing cleanser to use in the mornings. I AM SO GLAD I DID!! It works wonders!! Between this and my E45 cream, I got rid of my eczema patches and all of my redness. My skin feels so great after using this. It doesn't dry out my skin in any way, it reduces all my redness ( noticeably) and it's really helping my eczema. I still get the occasional patch but with my current skin care routine, they don't last long. This product doesn't really improve my pores and don't expect much if you're using it to remove makeup. For me personally, I wouldn't say it's a miracle worker on acne, but it does soothe the odd spot I get. For what I use it for, I give it a 100% rating.

P.S ( off topic but...)

Incase anyone else is wondering of my full skincare routine ( if you have skin problems like me):

Nighttime cleanser: Neutorgena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit . It doesn't always get great reviews but it works great on me (mild yet effective). I've been using it for 3 years with my Clarisonic and I swear by it. This was only thing that took away my whiteheads. Occasionally I'll try different products and I will immediately resort back to these two items.

Nighttime moisturizer: E45 Cream

Morning cleanser: Lush's Aqua Marina

Morning Cleaner: E45 Cream

I use face masks a couple times a week ( I love Lush's Cosmetic Warrior and BB Seaweed)
I don't use a toner at all ( tempted to try some of the Lush one's though)
Maybe once a week I exfoliate but I use really, really gentle ones. I like Lush's Angels on Bare Skin. This is super gentle and could actually be used every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 2:47:00 AM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this for about a month now and I already know this is going to be a permanent thing in my bathroom. I use to be one of those girls that would buy a cleanser use it 3 or 4 times it then complain that it made me tight and dry and crazy oily in the morning, then buy a new cleanser, and do it all over again until I had like 7 face cleansers hanging out by my sink. And none of them ever did anything for my acne or redness. (Most of them were too harsh and pissed off my skin) but with Aqua Marina it's totally different. It really does soothe the redness and acne. I use to have redness around my nose and cheeks and had the occasional break out with a crazy oily t zone a forehead. But ever since I switched to this my skin is been perfect. Only one pimple all month. (Which was fair because of the time of month.) I am almost to the point were I feel like I don't need a foundation anymore. Really is a life changing. Recommend a million times.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by ashmaaa

It didnt seem to do anything when i used this in the recommended quantity so i started using more and removing with wash facecloths. It irritated my skin. I use hot facecloths all the time with the OCM, removing my masks and even cleansing milk in the morning but it never irritated my skin. Shall try again without the cloth and update. Price packaging and smell was okay. Some people hate the smell but i love the calamine scent and the seaweed is not too overpowering. Anything for clear skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by Tygerlilee84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the preface this with explaining that I have the kind of skin care routine that varies depending on how I feel that day. I have several products in each catagory and change it up all the time. This is partly because I have combo skin and because of where I live and climate changes and also my work schedule. This is a cleanser I use when my skin is feeling dryer and I don't need heavy cleansing and when I have the time to relax and enjoy, so in other words, I don't use this to remove makeup or when I'm in a hurry. Generally I use it in the mornings when I don't work or at night after I used something else to remove my makeup first, like a wipe or my clinique cleanse off balm.
So with the actual product, the smell was interesting at first but now I quite like it. Currently they sell this in the black pot (looks like they didn't always do that) which I like. You pull out a pea sized amount and are supposed to mush it into a paste. It's quite dry and stiff so I actually pull out a little piece and set it aside so when I wet my face and reach for it I don't get the whole pot of product wet. I discovered that you really shouldn't use too much and that I really can't fully dissolve it into a paste in my hand. So I wet my hands, roll it around a little bit, and then rub it into my wet face and mush the little bit left into my face. I wish it dissolved easier or turned softer and more pastey. It takes a little bit of time to work it into my skin.
As for how it actually cleanse/works for me, it doesn't do anything for makeup but it is great after you remove your makeup with something else and you don't want to strip or over cleanse your face. That's always why I like it in the morning. It's my lush version of cetaphil. My face feels normal after, ie not moisturized but not squeakly clean/dry either. I have very sensistive acne prone skin. My skin looks less red and more even after using this for several weeks (but I do use it sporadically, sometimes morning and night and sometimes I go a couple days without using it at all).
Overall I do like it and it's quite fun and different to use and I really enjoy it. I took off one lippie because it is a little difficult to use/dissolve/mush up. I think I might repurchase, but I'm still not quite sure. I want to see how long it lasts me first. I would recommend it for people who want to try something different and don't want a heavy cleanser and prefer there skin to feel more moisturized to normal after cleansing. If you don't have much time for skin care or want a product that will remove makeup or want that squeaky clean feeling, I would would avoid it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by valerieetc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

To begin with, this used to be my HG cleanser. I guess I'm only writing this review because I finally found a better one :)
Anyway, I discovered this product last year, as I returned to Eastern Europe covered in snow, after spending four months in Goa and other warm and humid parts of India. Instantly I felt like a teenager all over again, because I started getting some kind of rash (it did look allergic, but none of the pills made it go away) all over my face. I went over to Lush, which I hadn't tried before, the SA suggested this cleanser, and it was a miracle - I had no noticeable breakouts ever since.
So, the good things: It is gentle to sensitive and rosacea-prone skin, it calms skin down instantly. It is good for dehydrated normal/combination skin, probably good for oily as well, but would be too drying for dry skin. I personally like the algae smell, and the price is more than OK.
The bad things: The packaging is bulky and gets too messy. There are these rare occasions when it dries my skin too much. It doesn't do much in terms of soft, radiant skin. And the worst part is - it does NOTHING for your pores. Now, you would want your cleanser to clean out those tiny blackheads gradually, instead of watching their number grow day by day, right? Not with this one. I can't remember ever having so many blackheads on and around my nose, and many pores on my chin also clogged up.
I used this cleanser for about a year and, tired of seeing my skin all dead-ish, took the risk and switched to Clarins Cottonseed Cleanser, which feels better so far. Still, I think the Lush cleanser does a relative amount of wonders for sensitive skin and is cheap enough to avoid spending half your budget on skincare :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by bcardwell

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best product I have ever used for my rosacea. I feel that it cleans but does dry me out. I remove my makeup prior with a sensitive wiping cloth. It took a little getting perfecting to using a different type of cleanser. I've grown to like the paste process more that liquid!