October 2, 2014 | 1543 users online

Shampoo - Nioxin - Bionutrient Actives Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 12:45:00 AM More reviews by catherinesophia

I only wash my hair every other day, and when I wash it, I use this once a week to thoroughly clean my scalp. The other days, I use Devacurl no-poo. I like the Nioxin more than using the low-poo, as I think that the Coco Betain in the lowpoo dries my hair out. I feel the Nioxin soothes my scalp, and I like the way it feels. I also like the fact that it really cleans, but it doesn't dry my hair out like other sulphate shampoos. It also cleans my hair of any product residue through the week. I honestly feel it makes my hair look a lot better, and it makes the Devacurl products work a lot better. This is the first sulphate shampoo that I have used in months, and I was sort of scared to see what it would do to my hair, but this shampoo didn't not damage my fine curly hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2007 5:47:00 AM More reviews by coconnell

i was first switched on to this stuff about 5 years ago by a hairdresser who was salvaging my hair after it was butchered by some evil jc penney stylist. she said it helps hair grow a bit faster. i'm not sure about it growing any faster, but i did notice new hairs forming right along the edge of my scalp, which is never a bad thing!

does a great job of really cleaning the hair. i've got my boyfriend using it now, too, since he only washes his hair every other day. with me still washing mine most days, i tend to alternate between this and another, milder shampoo (currently karastase's shampoo for curly haired folks, though i'll be trying out a newbie in the next week or two).

recently moved to london, so nioxin is even more difficult to locate now. luckily i've got the massive bottle, so i'll have quite some time to hunt down a shop or resort to trying origins' clarifying shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2006 8:34:00 AM More reviews by Dawnmarie2009

The cleanser works well when combined with other products. I think to see a difference in your hair, you really have to use cleanser, scalp treatment and the folicle booster. I do... and i've see a big difference as long as i keep using all the products together. One or two here and there does not seem to be effective. I have noticed that my hair has been shedding alot less, and my hair is much healthier, i can feel a bit a regrowth near my hair line.
The packaging is pretty boring, but other than that, its awesome,works for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2006 3:10:00 PM More reviews by fauale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Effective and gentle for daily washing.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2006 10:01:00 PM More reviews by r1nosal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This crap has been banned from my bathroom. It leaves the nastiest sticky film on the tub and tile. I finally had enough and forbid my hubby from using it, and replaced with the J/A/S/O/N Cosmetics line for thinning hair. If it leaves a film on the tub like this, imagine the residue it's leaving on your scalp. ICK!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2005 7:24:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleanser is supposed to detoxify the scalp and remove toxins, residue and the hair thinner-DHT while also volumizing the hair. I have mild hair thinning at the front of my head. I used this daily for 2 months with no change in the number of hairs falling out each day. It did add volume to my fine hair but that is not the reason I shelled out $15.00 for 10.1 oz bottle of blue, mint-scented shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2005 5:23:00 PM More reviews by poprocks86

I really liked the shampoo and conditioner for the Actives line. I've tried many different shampoos and conditioners: Rusk, Tigi, Dove, Got2be, Pantene, and my least favorite, Herbal Essences. The shampoo lathered nicely and it thoroughly cleansed my hair with no heaviness nor leaving any residue. My hair is fairly healthy, so I can't really say if it helped with damage, oiliness, or dyness, but I do have really thin hair. When I tie my hair up, many of my hairs fall out when I let it down later. When I use conditioner, my hair falls out even more regardless if it was up or down that day. I didn't see that happen as much after using Actives Cleanser and Scalp Therapy. There was actually significantly less hair falling out. My brother, who has very rough, not shiny hair, used this duo, and just after one washing, his hair, to my surprise, actually looked healthier. It was softer and shinier. The white tea antioxidant (I believe it is the most potent antioxidant out of the teas) is an added bonus. I thought it was reasonably priced. I got both the shampoo and conditioner for $45 including shipping and handling on eBay for the HUGE 33.8 oz bottles. I thought it was a very good bargain, though I wish that it had come with a pump instead. I would recommend this to anyone with fine hair, especially for those who lose hair often. I would totally repurchase this in the future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2005 6:36:00 AM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I like it for my oily scalp, but, apparently the menthol or peppermint oil (whatever causes the tingling sensation) are known skin irritants. However, I've had no irritation. Expensive and surely overpriced.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2004 1:18:00 PM More reviews by rock_chip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really liked this product at first. It has a great tingly feeling, and it definitely cleans your hair. However, I'm not so sure it stopped hair loss. I still lost hair in the shower like I always do. I'll use the bottle up, but I doubt I'll repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2004 4:41:00 PM More reviews by craff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love the shampoo and conditioner (scalp therapy), but hate the packaging.

The shampoo smells minty fresh, lathers nicely, and leaves my hair very clean, with no build-up. The conditioner softens and detangles my hair nicely, and also with no build-up. I use the Actives (as opposed to the Protectives) system because my hair is not chemically treated.

I hate the cap/dispenser of these products. They are the kind that have a little hole at the top of a wide cap. You pull the cap up to open and push it down to close. This type of dispensing is messy. I much prefer the disctop cap, where you push on one side and the other side opens. (I would even prefer the hinge caps.) I will definitely transfer the products to another bottle - that's how annoying those caps are!

I also use the Bionutrient Actives Treatment (a leave-in treatment after towel drying the hair). Even if I wasn't losing my hair (pregnancy aftereffect), I would use these products. They are wonderful.