Jo Malone Nutmeg and Ginger

3.5

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This can be somewhat of a polarizing fragrance, and I believe the reason why is that it smells like one giant base not of a fragrance nothing more than a woody base after a long dry down with some fleeting echoes of spice (namely the nutmeg). As a fan of a lot of things woody, spicy, and incensey or a lot of those things in any fragrance. This does remind me a lot of the base notes and the last traces of drydown from a lot of my other favorite fragrances. So if you want a wood fragrance but worry it might seem too strong, too heavy, too dark, or maybe even too masculine or conversely depending on the fragrance, maybe too sweet. This could be for you. It's a very basic concoction of cedarwood (that in this case is very airy and blanched out) mixed with some sweet nutmeg and a kick of ginger that adds a slightly sweet pop to the mix that fades rather quickly at least on my skin. This is all housed by a very small, light does of sandalwood adding a diaphanous background to the overall fragrance.

Being basically one giant but good-smelling base note. This scent upon spray wears very close to the skin so the sillage is not that great, but it is a wonderful cozy treat for you on a casual day where perhaps you need comfort or have a casual day by the fire in fall or an indoor picnic in the summer. It is a very natural soothing scent too me, that belongs not so much to a time of year for me but a feeling of being in nature. Because it also wears so close to the skin upon contact, it does seem not to last the longest, but i still catch certain whiffs after many hours sometimes, so reapplication may not be the most necessary, but it is a very light, intimate scent that would be hard to overdue at least on my skin with my chemistry, so a few extra sprays throughout the day could be taken without knocking anyone over dead, even if it is proven that the fragrance has not actually yet faded. I really like this, but it is not for everyone. With this fragrance especially it may serve to try before you buy. BUT if you need more oomph, this scent also works great as a layering piece. I use it to soften Jo Malone Tudor Rose and Amber to chill out the sumputuous metallic boozy rose in that and warm it up a tad for example.

on 5/19/2014 7:19:00 PM

Industrial is the first thing that comes to mind when I smell this on me...then bug spray...then I have no idea because of the headache it caused me. Jo Malone is over rated in my book. Anything, to be honest, I've smelled of her's is blech...as if someone didn't take the time to 'round out' the entire scent. It's interesting to me that some high end brands, Tom Ford, Creed seem to just put out a combination of 'stuff' throw names on them thinking they will appeal to men and women and there's really nothing there to back it up. I doubt Malone will be around as long as say Chanel or Dior.

on 4/18/2014 2:45:00 PM

I'm devoted to Jo Malone products and this is one of my absolute scents. I have the body lotion and cologne. As with other scents in the line, this layers brilliantly. One reviewer says it feels "unfinished". Hmmm, maybe that's what I love about this and other Jo Malone scents. To me they are fresh and clean and clear. I cannot stand scents that are heavy and cloying and, to me, even the "darkest" Jo Malone fragrances are not cloying.

on 12/20/2013 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

A gorgeous, clean , fresh spicy fragrance that has become completely addictive for me. I LOVE it.I'm a big Jo Malone fan, and over the past 12 years I've spent a small fortune on these sophisticated, elegant and classy fragrances. Red Roses is my favorite , and signature fragrance; I also love and wear Nectarine Blossom and Honey, Wild Bluebell, Grapefruit, Verbenas of Provence (now discontinued) and English Pear and Freesia. The bath oil is incredible. It foams and leaves a delicious fragrance wafting over me in the tub, and leaves my skin like silk. And doesn't leave any oily ring or residue. I also have it in Red Roses, and I love these products. They are absolutely worth every penny. I love treating myself to a soak in a warm bath enveloped in this lovely fragrance after a long day. For me, it's heaven on a plate. I can't live without it ! I layer it Nutmeg and Ginger with my other Jo Malone colognes and it makes me swoon. It's so delicious and yummy I can't stop smelling my wrists at work. Love, love LOVE it!

on 9/9/2013 6:28:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I love this scent, perfect for autumn. Citrusy at first giving freshness then warm and comforting with nutmeg, cinnamon, cedarwood and vertiver all being relaxing and calming. This lasts better than blackberry and bay on me (my other fave but it literally wears off in 10 mins), a few hours maybe but would be giving it 5 stars if it lasted a whole night out. I think the 30ml is a tad expensive but the 100ml good value compared to other 'designer' perfumes but the use of natural oils for me means JM perfumes are far superior in quality and give a natural, non-synthetic smell. Will definitely keep re-purchasing though.

on 4/24/2012 10:59:00 AM

This is a great scent - especially for fall. It's warm and comforting. I found that if you mix this with a little of the Sweet Milk, it's almost like a chai tea fragrance. Yummy.

on 11/24/2011 7:41:00 AM

I LOVE this! This is without doubt my favourite JM scent (thus far). It's clean, its comforting, its warm- its just what I want. I would even buy this as a bath oil! I love it that much. I like Vanilla Anise and Pomegranate Noir but not for everyday use. I like to have them at hand so I can use them when the mood takes me, but Nutmeg and Ginger is HG for everyday use. Going through all the JM colognes would be exhausting so if you want to select a few to sample, choose this (and the other two!)

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Many times on the fragrance board people ask for a clean smelling scent that reminds one of fresh laundry or like -- well this is it! It's clean smelling -- unisex and reminds me of Costes with a simplier vibe. Costes is more of a fuller scent and is better crafted. Nutmeg & Ginger seems unfinished and rough around the edges. Tonight after dinner, my husband asked if I had used some carpet shampoo today (we use Resolve brand). I hadn't been cleaning any carpets today and thought it was a rather odd quesiton. As we sat here tonight talking -- it dawned on me!! Of course it's my perfume that smells like carpet shampoo --- silly me. He sniffed my wrist and concurred that's the scent of "Resolve'. Which by the way -- we like the way Resolve works and smells, but not neither of use want to use it as personal scent.

Also as other reviews have mentioned this burns -- tingles on the skin. So be warned if you are sensitive.

on 5/28/2010 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hard to say if I liked it or not since the smell lasted all of 15 minutes on me. Waste. Of. Money.

on 5/10/2010 4:11:00 AM

I really like Nutmeg and Ginger. It is one of my favorite Jo Malone scents, in fact. Another reviewer said that it smells like Origins Ginger Essence. I disagree, and I have them both. I much prefer the Nutmeg and Ginger. It has a warmer quality, and, on me, dries down to a lovely skin scent (the Origins is more citrusy). I get lots of compliments on it -- from people of all ages. It can have a sharpness to it going on, but, like I said, dries down beautifully. It has an unexpected subtlety to it. The only drawback is that it doesn't have much staying power. Otherwise, I just love it. Oh, and as for what mixes well with it, I would suggest Verbenas of Provence or Orange Blossom. Especially Verbenas of Provence, though.

Popular Fragrances