November 27, 2014 | 1279 users online

Masks - Sephora - Indulgences - Great Pumpkin Mask

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2006 4:30:00 PM More reviews by bondgrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Terrible - this product BURNED MY FACE, even though I followed the directions. I used it while in the shower, and after a few minutes, my skin began to tingle and then feel uncomfortably warm. At the end of the time period recommended on the package, I began to wash it off and my skin had become so sensitive that the warm water almost hurt - I had to turn it down to cool water. When I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror, my skin was red wherever the mask had been applied - I could actually see a line delineating where the mask goop had sat and burned me. My skin was hot to the touch and I was concerned I'd done damage to my skin but the next morning I looked okay. My skin certainly wasn't _improved_ by the mask, though!

I did test this product again, about two weeks later. This time I washed it off as soon as it began to tingle, so at least I didn't have a nasty red burn. However, there were no positive benefits either. Overall this product is awful. The goop is slimy, smells odd, and most importantly, may actually BURN you!! If you insist on trying this product, please be very careful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2006 3:41:00 PM More reviews by blackviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I originally came here to write a scathing review of this product, but after reading everyone else's reviews, I realized that the main complaint was the pain. The people who didn't mind the burn mainly said that the product did as advertised, minimizing pores, and making skin clean and soft, so I decided to give it another try.
I have sensitive skin, but the burn REALLY depends on what other products you've been using on your face. The first time I tried it, I had been exfoliating regularly, and using a kind of harsh cleanser. As soon as I got it on, it burned the hell out of my face. It was so bad that I really thought it was destroying my skin. I tried to leave it on, but only lasted about one minute, and had to rinse my face forever, trying to make it stop burning. It burned for about a half hour to an hour afterward. It was horrible. I was so red and blotchy, and I was so worried that it would break me out because it was so irritating. I took extra care of my skin, and it didn't break out.

Reading the reviews, not one person mentioned breaking out from this product, so I just gave it another go. This time, I have not been exfoliating, or only doing so very gently, and not often. Before applying it, I washed with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, and this time, the burn was nothing. It was very warm and very tingly, but not a horrible face melting fire, like last time. I left it on for about 10 minutes without much of a problem. When rinsing, DO NOT USE HOT WATER! Use lukewarm or cool water and rinse thoroughly. This time, it stung for less than five minutes afterwards.
My skin feels soft, and smoother. A little tighter, but in a good way, like it's more supple. My pores seem to be smaller, but I don't really have pores that are very visible anyway, so I might be imagining that. It brought some microscopic whiteheads and black heads to the surface, and they popped like nothing and went away. I would say that it's nice, but not incredible. I probably wouldn't buy it again, unless I work this into my routine and find that it's more refining than I think it is. For now, I will only use it on occasion.

This does not smell like pumpkin. It smells kinda soapy with cinnamon. It comes in a HUGE container, and you really don't need much. It is expensive, considering the small effects, and how uncomfortable it is to get those effects. AT $30, it's expensive because I don't think I'd buy it again. Lucky me, I bought it for $10, and I'm sure the container will last me a year. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2006 7:17:00 PM More reviews by sephj80

The moment I put this stuff on my face was on fire. No wonder they out this stuff on sale. It was nowhere near my eyes and I felt like someone had put acid in them. I continued to apply the mask but I couldn't do it with my eyes open. I seriously only had the mask on for a minute and I had to wash it off. But after it was all of the face felt really clean and looked clear. I'm going to keep using this product and hopefully I'll adapt to the burning sensation.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2006 2:07:00 AM More reviews by AndreaLeigh

I got this on sale at Sephora for $10 for a full size tube. I get enzyme facials and figured I was prepared for the tingle. WRONG! I applied and got into a hot bath, hoping for a relaxing experience. After one minute, I was crying - seriously, my eyes were leaking tears and my nose was running. I lasted four minutes before I washed it off. My sensitive skin is super red and spoltchy, but it is after every treatment, so that isn't a minus for me. Edit: I ended up swapping this away after the first use.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/25/2006 10:47:00 PM More reviews by HotRedMazda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It burns even after you wash it off! I highly doubt its the pumpkin enzymes alone that gives you a tingle. I think they went overboard with the cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. I personally see nothing positive happening to my skin (except that my skin is slightly tender immediately after use) but I just purchased it a couple of days ago but I'll give it another week. If by then, my skin doesn't respond, I'll just use it for my pedicures. ** PACKAGING- I think the packaging is horrible. I don't like facial products that come in jars, especially something as goopy and runny as this. A tube would have been much better.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2006 9:19:00 AM More reviews by stacybee

I bought this when it was on sale for $10. Like many of the other reviewers, it really burned. I managed to stick it out for the 10-15 minutes they recommend, but I couldn't wait to wash that stuff off of my face. On the bright side, it did seem to tighten my pores and leave my skin smoother.

I don't much care for the packaging - I hate dipping my fingers into something. I'd prefer a squeeze tube.

The price was pretty good, considering that the giant tub will last you for the rest of your life! You really only need a small amount to cover your entire face.

I wouldn't buy it again. I think there are better masks out there that don't make your face feel like it has spontaneously combusted.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2006 12:36:00 AM More reviews by MakeupISart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hm..so I deleted my other review, which read " Yeah..it DOES burn like fkin hell..but it leaves my skin shiny and skrinks my pores..not worth the $$ though.."

I have changed my mind on this mask. I think its incredable, the more I use it. I find it doesn't burn as much the more I use it ( but still has great results ) It really does shrink my pores and it does even out my skin tone! I also had terrible dry skin patches on my nose and forehead, and it has made then dissapear. Wow, I ac tually like the little tingle it has. The first time I tried this I thought my face caught on fire. Hah, now its just a light tingly burn that makes my skin feel clean. Also, the jar is HUGE, so it will last a long time. I also love the spicy pumpkin smell. Wow..this may just be my HG mask. :) Way to go Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2006 4:01:00 AM More reviews by christina1983

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

as most other people have said, this mask does sting...about a minute after you first put it on it begins to sting and the stinging increases with time. on the container it says to leave it on for 12-15 minutes, which might be quite long for some people because of the discomfort, but i didnt find it to be unbearable or anything. after reading the other reviews i was expecting it to feel like holy hell, but its really not THAT painful, and i have relativly sensitive skin - if you aren't a big fan of the stinging, the lady at sephora told me that you can leave it for about 5 minutes and get results if you cant deal with the whole 15.

as for the results - i found that my skin was far smoother after the first use and after it for 6 days my skin is looking a lot healthier - the texture has evened out and the congestion on my chin and around my nose has cleared up significantly. I also found that my normally large pores have more or less dissapeared and my skin has been retaining moisture better - no more dry patches despite the dry/cold weather!

all in all im extremly happy with the results, especially since theres such a massive difference in such a short time! the tub is relativly expensive though $46 in canada and $30(?) in the states - but its a really large tub and i reckon it will last for at least a year if you use it 2-3 times a week.

also, if you have sensitive skin and dont want to deal with the stinging i'd suggest washing your face an hour or so before applying the mask instead of washing right before - this way less pores will be open and some of the skins natural oils will be around to protect skin and minimize the stinging!

despite the discomfort and steep price, the results make this product well worth it!

p.s its on sale on the sephora wesbite for $10 right now

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2006 9:36:00 PM More reviews by gwennw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok..Here is my take on the pumpkin mask. I really like it. I have sensitive skin, but have been getting microdermabrasion and glycolic peels from a facialist for 7 years now, and I exfoliate and do home peels once a week so my skin is used to this process. This mask DID tingle and slightly sting my face, but so did the professional peels. It was nothing that coulds not be beared for 15 minutes. I do believe if your skin is not used to these kinds of peels and exfoliations, the Sephora Pumpkin Mask is NOT the place to start! This mask is not for beginners to the home peeling game. If you are new, start with Philosophy Vit. C peel, or a gentle daily exfoliating scrub by Paula Dorf or DDF. Look for a good gentle option and build you way up to this.

As for the results, you will not be disappointed. This mask leaves you with smooth, super-clean skin. It clears the way for any product you are using on your face to work better, because any junk that may have been blocking your pores before is gone. It will help your skin get a nice uniform tone and just leaves it healthy and glowing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2006 8:16:00 PM More reviews by rosieee

I don't believe the myth of no pain no gain when it comes to beauty! I felt like my face was burning off and I have the least sensitive skin on the planet! And it continued to burn for like 30 minutes afterward and the steam from the shower only made it worse. STAY AWAYYYYY I know its on sale but I wouldnt spend $1 on this