April 20, 2014 | 1358 users online

Fragrances - Jean Paul Gaultier - Fragile

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 7:19:00 AM More reviews by blahblahh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Packaging: the best I've ever seen
Longevity: whole day
Smell: Heavy, musky, very warm. I know each person has different sense of smell, but this one is headache inducing for me
Verdict: I'll gaze on the beautiful bottle and let my sister use it up

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile EDP unsniffed because I was absolutely enthralled with the creativity and charm of the snowglobe bottle. On the basis of the bottle alone, I just knew this one was going to be a keeper, even if I didn't care for the scent. But since we're all about scent here at Makeup Alley, let's talk about that first, shall we?

Fragile is a transparent tuberose fragrance that wears well during the day, making it perfect for casual and professional work settings. It's not overpoweringly strong, sweet, buttery, or over-the-top sexy the way Fracas or Poison can be, so if those fragrances are anathema to you, then please consider trying Fragile because it's not that kind of tuberose. It's far more sedate than that, but still beautiful in its own right. I also detect a bitter citrus note that reminds me very much of Hugo Boss Woman, believe it or not. In fact, if I smelled Fragile on a complete stranger, I'd very likely mistake it for that.

Getting back to the charms of the snowglobe bottle, the lady trapped inside is dressed in a black cocktail gown and matching elbow-length gloves, which makes her look exactly like the iconic Taittinger L'Instant champagne poster. (Do a google search for "taittinger l'instant" if you don't know what I mean, and you'll see the resemblance right away.) Could it be just a coincidence? I don't know, but I think it's a fitting homage if indeed the intent was there. There's something about the playfulness of the bottle design that lifts my spirits every time I look at it. It's festive, glamorous, and ultra-feminine in mood, even if the fragrance inside is a bit too demure to match. Personally, I would have loved to see YSL Champagne or Yvresse in this bottle. Now THAT would have been ideal! Then again, maybe Jean Paul Gaultier was being deliberately ironic when he bottled this rather demure juice in such an elaborate tchotchke. This is, after all, a fragrance called "Fragile," so he must have been aiming for a lighter, less tenacious, more modern type of fragrance all along, even if the packaging suggests a serious, old-school fragrance with the glamor of 1940s Hollywood.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think what we have here is a philosophical statement on the ephemeral and vulnerable nature of beauty and the equally ephemeral and vulnerable nature of the artifice that enhances it. Perfume bottles, wine bottles, and glass snowglobes are decorative objects designed to protect and preserve their contents, but because they are made of glass, they themselves are poignantly fragile, much like the liquid within.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2010 7:03:00 PM More reviews by matissia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow! I hate tuberose and gardenia and Fragile is just full of these flowers! Never more for me.

Beautiful bottle but hard to spray when it's almost empty.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2010 6:54:00 PM More reviews by AllAboutBeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This fragrance is heaven to me! I just wish the bottle was designed better - that's why I took off 1 lipee. Years ago some of the gold flakes got stuck in the tube, so it's been pretty hard getting any of the fragrance to squirt out. It is really beatiful to look at. The staying power on this perfume is amazing. I used to smell it on my clothes and in my hair the next day! I am so disappointed that they discontinued it. I would love to have a new one in my collection. It really is a sexy fragrance and makes you feel sexy. I agree with some of the others that this is a winter fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 10:54:00 PM More reviews by micronesa29

Favorite perfume! So disappointed it has been discontinued in Australia. It's very delicate, youthful, and feminine without being to girl or flowery... My favorite part is the undertones of gardenia. the only thing is the scent doesn't last too long unless you get the eau de parfum which is a bit powerful at first. for best value and a subtle scent you can add before leaving your house, I'd still go for the eau de toilette.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by iloveshoesandcoffee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This gets my vote for the coolest perfume bottle EVER! I purchased this many moons ago at an airport duty free shop solely on the merits of the bottle. The actual perfume is forgettable. But the bottle is a true work of art.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Casafras

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fragile starts off strong, but dries down to be quite comforting and sexy....spicy, warm, and creamy floral. The tuberose isn't too strong--just right. This makes me want to put on cozy sweaters and sit by the fireplace.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 1:09:00 PM More reviews by liloca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word: Sexy!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2008 4:18:00 PM More reviews by crystaltear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of my very favorite tuberose that is only second to Fracas. While Fracas is potent and retrospective, this one is glamorous and streamline. It never really becomes cloying as it seems to have some fruity & green freshness playing under the intense floral for a subtle balance. But still it is definitely a winter scent.I love its aphrodisiac but intimate sensuality. It is very inviting. The snowglobe packing is absolutely adorable! I will re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2008 11:47:00 PM More reviews by 1975Crumpet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was put off JPG perfume after his signature fragrance, which, after wearing for a time many years ago, began to make me feel sick whenever I whiffed it. I was given Fragile as a gift and my heart sank thinking I'd be in for yet another overly-cloying scent - how wrong I was!. Fragile is simply beautiful and to my untrained nose has an intoxicating blend of orange blossom and peach, very subtly fruity, warm and enveloping. I can't wait until the weather warms up to utilise this to the full. I adore this perfume and I will repurchase as soon as I get through this oh-so-adorably decadent bottle.