April 19, 2014 | 1857 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - Feria Haircolor Hi-Lift Browns

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by deesoso

I am baffled.. my hair was dark brown. I used this and it only lightened my hair a bit but completely damaged it to the point that it tangles. I have bleached my hair with 40 vol bleach and it was not as damaged as it is now because of this hair dye. I have tried many other feria products and love them (like the regular dye or even the highlights). But this a disaster. My hair is so dry and tangling all the time... I really don't think my hair has ever been this damaged. Maybe I got a faulty dye but I am not using this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used 'downtown brown' during 2 periods of my hair's life and have been very happy both times. My hair was far, far as far as you can possibly get from virgin. The first time, I was red for a few months (l'oreal preference intense red copper-which is great btw). Under that was a series of dyes and hilights. My natural color is medium to dark brown. I wanted a cooler, lighter color for summer so when I found this I was psyched. It worked great. Very similar color to on box. I followed the directions and had a nice cool med/light brown. Over permanent red. I kept this for a while, doing my roots as they came in which was a breeze. Most recently, I wanted to go back to a cooler brown over a series of hair misadventures including (and I'm not kidding here): bleach, crazy colors, perm colors, henna and indigo, l'oreal hicolor reds, a couple of bleach baths, and an ion demi. (Getting rid of henna and indigo is not easy, but it's possible contrary to popular belief). This was over a long period of time with many, many intense reparative treatments along the way. Lastly, I'd done a 'medium brown' in the adore plus line (a semi-perm) to try to tone down some residual warmth. Well, lo and behold it went stark, shoe polish black. And semi indeed it refused to budge with several washings. I was sad because the reason I cut my hair off into a pixie a couple months ago was to get rid of stubborn black. So I tried a bleach bath for like 5 minutes and it was kind of uneven but I was digging the medium brown it started to give. I remembered downtown brown and thought id give it a try. My hair had been through it all at this point any way so what the heck. I put it on root to tip unlike it says to. I added some 'unred' and red gold color corrector. It evened out my hair and turned out great! It is warmer and darker than what's on the box but the important thing for me here is it worked at lifting and evening out my color into a kind of neutral medium brown that looks very natural (not black and no red- yay!). I don't know why all the hatin' for this stuff as I've had a LOT of experience with at-home color, both Sally's and boxed, and this has got to be my favorite! God I hope they don't discontinue this. I can get it at 1 am from A&P for crying out loud. Going forward when I do my roots I'll pull it through with more time, seeing if it'll lighten/cool down more. It uses 25 vol developer if that is of any interest.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by pixelsicle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

As others have warned do not use this product unless you want lighter areas turning a muddy green. I used this product before with great results but it seems they have changed the formula drastically, even the conditioner isn't as great as it used to be. It USED to lighten my hair about 4 shades, this time, one shade lighter, definitely not worth the hassle of hair damage, mess and time. If its too late for some of you I have read where the application (and waiting about 30 min) of ketchup counteracts the green tones. Obviously red toners are also available at your local beauty supply store.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Chicken1120

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! If you have hair that is lighter than the desired color. You will end up with blue/gray hair!

I called the color line and they said to wash my hair a few times - well after 20+ shampoos - it's still a blue gray. Just a lighter blue/gray. Oh but don't worry you'll get your money back-except for the $200 at the salon to correct it!

Feeling broke & sad!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Sarie156

DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE ANY HIGHLIGHTS! My natural hair color is medium brown. I had highlights done a few months ago and now had dark roots. I used this product because it said it would lighten the dark brown. However anywhere I had highlights turned a SILVER BLUE!!! My hair actually had blue stripes!!!

Please note I have been dying my own hair for over 20 years. Only every now and then I get my hair professionally done (when I want to go lighter). I have never had a problem with brown hairdye before. I thought there was no way I could mess it up. Wrong!!

I had to have my hairdresser strip the hair dye from my hair to get the blue out. She said it's extremely difficult for professionals to lighten & color in one step, and she couldn't believe Loreal would market a product like this to the average person.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I've use this several times to lighten my hair. I feel that on asian hair, any lightening dye will lighten it to a certain extent but it will never go as light as the packaging. The color that I got was a very nice golden brown. If I used it again it will go a little cooler. I'm happy with this dye because it creates a very even color for me and my hair always feels nice and moisturized. Please follow the directions. Color your lengths before coloring your roots. Your roots will develop faster! And if you end up with roots longer than 1 inch, also follow the same step. If the regrowth is only an inch go ahead and just do your roots first. I've used this on hair that I've previously dyed back to black and had no problem as long as you follow the directions!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by hollaroo

I was VERY lucky with my results, my hair was platinum blonde, decided to go brown so did a red filler with loreal "mocha" which had golden red-violet tones, so my hair was a very dark reddish-orange color in some lights & a chocolate brown in others...it was way too dark for my skin tone so I was looking for something to cool it down & take out all the red/orange in my hair.

Which is exactly what this stuff did!! Now my hair is a soft cool brown with no red/orange, the prettiest brown I've ever had. It did lighten it a tad, probably cuz that dark red wasnt there anymore!! Therefore I suggest this to someone who did a bad job on their hair like me & needs to get that fugly red/orange out, I dont know how it would be on anyone else (since u werent "suppose" to use it on previously dyed hair)

p.s. b4 I colored i smothered my hair in supple-touch keratine spray by redkin & after I colored I used aussie 3 min. miracle so its not so damaged :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by katticus

I'd definitely buy this product again if I knew what the hell I was doing and could substitiute the developer for something of higher quality. It said 25 vol on the bottle, which, if I'm not mistaken, is actually weaker than the standard go-to developer.

Malishka hit the nail on the head; the color is actually really pretty for the first week, and then it begins to fade... my hair is one, maaaybe two shades darker than the box color, so it's not like it had much lifting to do. Yet still it couldn't handle the job and gradually began looking like orange juice in some lights...very strange.

All that being said, the orange juice color actually got a lot of complements; the point is, it was NOT a cool brown, and the developer was NOT high lift

by the way, I used the "Downtown Brown" color

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by sheeenanana

I am using this color/product for the second time to see if I can get better results. The first time I used this product it did turn my hair lighter, but you could only really see the difference in the light or sun (dark brown to a shimmery brown in the sun). I also didn't listen to the instructions and colored my hair all over first instead of just the lengths and got the result of lighter roots and darker ends, but I was satisfied for the ease and price. This time I am doing my ends first and then the roots... it will be done developing in 15 mins so I will reply with the results after that!!!

So I am back! The color turned out even this time, and got a little brighter actually so it looks lighter overall and more balanced. I suggest following the instructions and starting from the back/crown of head for best results. It came out a caramel color - not at light as the box but about 2 shades darker like the ones pictured in the sample boxes above.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:15:00 AM More reviews by la09

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I dyed my hair with Brazilian Brown hoping to fix my natural roots color that was everywhere; also the different levels of blond in it. I hoped for the best and followed all the directions. 25 min. leave in I was kinda worried it didn't feel soft but not fried either. So I put in the conditioner I didn't time it maybe 5 min. who knows. Anyway I blow dried it cause I wanted to see if it was lighter than it looked. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome the softness is amazing and the color great. I am very happy. You wouldn't know my hair was damaged at all.