Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid Clarifying Tonic

4.4

Water, Methyl Gluceth-20, Glycolic Acid, Arginine, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat., Lactic Acid, Allantoin, Chamomile Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Micellized Vitamin A, Micellized Vitamin E, Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Diazolidinyl Urea. 6/11/09

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This product is AMAZING!!! I can't even describe to you how great it is. I am 29 and still dealing with blackheads, whiteheads, comodones, and hormonal acne on my cheeks, chin and forehead. I have tried everything because I was so desperate but no matter what, I still broke out all. the. time. Finally after reading reviews on Sephora I realized that the only thing I hadn't tried was an AHA aka. glycolic acid. After using this product for a couple of nights, I noticed my skin getting a bit drier and peeling a touch so every morning I would lightly rub the dry skin off. I then realized that it was just exfoliating all the crap out of and off of my skin. I always also had tiny little bumps that were skin coloured over my skin and now after using this product for about a month, my skin is freakin amazingly smooth. The acne scarring has faded a ton, and my skin tone is way more even. I now also bought the Peter Thomas Roth 10% Glycolic Moisturizer and that is equally amazing. I put both on at night and wake up with awesome skin. During the day I only put on Aveeno moisturizer with SPF 30. Be sure to remember to use an SPF because of how sensitive your skin is to light. All in all, awesome product. I will never stop using this!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Peter Thomas Roth-HOLY GRAIL! I started getting uncontrollable hormonal acne at age 23, and NOTHING would help. I tried Murad, Dermalogica, Philosophy everything at the drugstore, Cetaphil, Witch Hazel..you name it, it breaks my skin out. (Thanks, Mom.) I use this along with the PTR Anti-Aging Cleanser with Buffing Beads and the Oil-Free Moisturizer and my skin behaves-even right before my period! TMI? Perhaps, but this line and this product especially are worth the 'splurge.' The products do last forever though compared some other pricey brands. *Pro Tip-Buy what you can on Amazon. I typically save 15 bucks per product!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This product is a great dupe for Alpha H Liquid Gold, and about half the price per ml in the UK. It helps clear up and prevent any breakouts for me, makes my skin brighter and has really helped tone down my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne on my cheeks. My PIH has really faded significantly now. It does tingle/sting a little going on and it can feel a little drying, but I find following with my moisturizer stops that problem.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This product has helped in lifting patches of hyperpigmentation and dealing with congested skin/ breakouts.

It can sting a little on application and I found using everyday was too much for my skin - so am using every other day.

Its a large bottle and I can see it lasting for 6 months

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Firstly, I would just like to comment that I don't understand why anyone with "clear", "good" or even sensitive skin would ever buy or try to use a 10% glycolic acid. I also can't understand why people who are new to acid toning are buying and using this. It's not for you. Not every product is made with the same audience in mind, and if you fall into any of these categories then stay away or use something better suited to your skin.

If you have troublesome skin like me - prone to acne, acne scarring, breakouts, oiliness, dry patches and have less sensitive skin then you're looking for the right product. This is heavy duty stuff, and it stings a lot upon application and the urge to scratch or touch your face afterwards is strong - but resist!
I use it every night on a cotton pad and it's helped to calm breakouts and keep my skin smooth and clearer.
The bottle is big and personally I think its good value, you only need a tiny bit so it should last a long time. Its not the prettiest packaging but it's simple and almost pharmaceutical looking and I quite like that - I don't need fancy packaging if what's inside is good quality. The smell is okay - not pleasantly scented but nothing to turn your nose up at either. Again, I quite like the lack of added perfume to dress up the scent. The toner is much like other toners, very liquid and has a water like texture so be careful with the bottle!
If you have built up a tolerance to acid toning then I definitely think you should pick this up. My 2% pads weren't doing it for me anymore and I noticed no difference from them, so I decided to step it up!
Be careful what you use before and after also. Because it's stings so much, if you apply more acid then it's likely you will seriously disrupt your skin so try it and see what works for you.
I really like this product and I think it's a staple for someone with problem skin who often has random breakouts and will definitely repurchase! Its not exactly marketed for acne but I definitely think it makes a difference and it's an extra step I'll keep doing as long as it's still available!

I purchased this as I wanted an acid toner and this has good reviews. Last week I updated my skincare routine, by adding the Clarisonic and this toner (applied it every other night). My skin has become so much smoother in such a short time. I do not have sensitive skin, but this toner does sting and make me itchy for a brief period following application, but my post toner products absorb a lot better.
I did have a three month bout of acne which ended a month ago which has left innumerable tiny blemishes and I'm hoping this toner speeds up the clearing process.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

In acne, I'm pretty sure that there are two camps. There are the people who can only put extremely mild, soothing product on their skin, lest they risk a volcanic erruption. And then there are the people who need to blast the bejeesus out of their face, because the mild stuff is basically the equivalent of spritzing some water on their cysts.

I, for better or worse, am a part of the latter group. If it is akin to chemical warfare, I probably want to try it. I tried being gentle for years, and it just didn't work - I need the big guns. I have had a lot of luck with Mario Badescu, but recently have had a spate of stubborn breakouts that made it clear that I needed to mix things up a little. I've used DDF's glycolic toner in the past, but since that was discontinued, I was pointed towards this Peter Thomas Roth version.

It's not cheap ($40 at Sephora), but the bottle is big. It's very simple packaging - surprising for PTR, who seems to have never met a shiny metallic trim that he doesn't like - and is okay at transporting the liquid to the cotton ball/pad of your choice (ideally, it would have been nice to have something with a bit more control - I find that I usually have some wasted spilled product every time I use it. Not a huge issue, but again, it's not cheap). It's not pretty by any means, but neither is my acne, so I'm not going to complain too much.

And I have to say...this works. It's not marketed specifically as an acne product (more dark spots and fine lines), but 10% glycolic acid is serious business and it definitely does help. My face is softer, smoother, brighter, and much, much clearer. However, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - I am someone who has done some really idiotic things to her skin, and I am telling you right now that this is not for someone who is very sensitive to discomfort. It's gotten a bit better with time, but I usually have to do paces around my apartment a little bit after putting it on to stop myself from pressing my hands to my face to stop the tingling/burning. Now I, the weirdo, take some sort of sick pleasure in this (it's burning my acne off!) but I would totally understand people who are more sensitive to that sort of thing staying well clear of this product. It's not kind or gentle. I can't say if it causes serious dryness or flaking, because I was not about to take any risks - I follow this up with Mario Badescu's drying cream, and then I put on CeraVe's moisturizing cream, which is quite heavy-duty, liberally (DEFINITELY have your moisturizing game in place before you try this).

Within a week, I noticed my breakouts were clearing away swiftly, coming to a head and then scabbing over. I didn't really experience any purging. More importantly, nothing else seemed to be popping up. Within about a month, my dark spots were fading considerably. I don't really use this for its anti-aging capabilities, so I can't speak to those. I use this every day, at night, after I've washed my face with my Clarisonic. I am probably going to go to every other night in a month or two, since it is pretty harsh and I want to give my skin more of a rest. Per my dermatologist's recommendation, I don't use this in conjunction with a retinol - I really think that it would just be too harsh. I'm still in the clear-out stage of skincare - once my breakouts are totally under control, I'm sure that this will evolve to have a less prominent place in my routine.

I'd highly recommend giving this product a try IF you don't have extremely sensitive skin (I can definitely see this making someone with a more delicate face than mine blotchy or irritated). If you are looking for a fairly strong, heavy-duty toner, I think that it is really worth a try.

ETA: I thought I'd stop by and update after a kind of weird experience with this. DO NOT underestimate how strong it is. I'm an idiot who follows her regimen without thinking about it. After doing the Ole Henriksen lemon strip peel (and waiting about an hour), I did my normal pre-bed routine with this guy without even thinking twice about how that would be a bad idea. HUGE MISTAKE. I felt actual, serious pain, and ran to wash it off with cold water. I woke up in the morning with stiff, dry skin and two small splotchy burn marks on either cheek. I've been slathering myself with Neosporin, and I think that I'm going to be fine - pretty sure I actually accidentally gave myself a legit chemical peel (which is TERRIBLE, and I am in no way saying that this is a good thing), as the top layer of skin has been flaking off. Anyway, thought I'd add to this - I'm going to keep using this product, but will definitely be proceeding with more caution. I'm not deducting any lippies, because this is largely my own stupidity that caused this.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I was nervous to use this at first due to my sensitive skin issues ( plus rosacea) In any event, I use this 1-2x a week, I'm still ugly but I feel like this has helped my skin. I was looking to make my skin a little less dull, and for whatever reason I have had a few good skin days. So this is a keeper and I plan to try other products from this line.

I love this toner. It stings A LOT, but after using for awhile, my face has become smoother, clearer and more even toned. I have previously used Paula's choice 2% bha liquid and 8% aha gel (separately) with average results. This, imo, is much much better. It really does what it claims to do and the bottle is big-a very good value.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this toner. I was hesitant because of the price. It seemed expensive but it's completely worth it! It does burn/tingle a bit but not in a painful way. I am prone to hyper pigmentation from exfoliating and with this I have not problem. I actually bought it because of it's exfoliating but have found that it is so much more. I've been using it for a few months and my skin is so smooth, clear and glowing. It has evened out my skin tone so much that I don't need to wear as much foundation and really only need eye concealer. I'm hoping with another few months of continued use I can start wearing tinted moisturizer for everyday. This stuff is really that amazing! I've recommended it to all my friends and highly recommend this!!

Top Rated Peter Thomas Roth Products