December 18, 2014 | 1168 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Blue Malva conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by nattie1974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Recently went platinum and after only 2 bleaches my hair is somewhat white but I do still have brassy yellow tones that I can't get rid of.
So I've tried lots of purple shampoos; John Frieda, L'Oreal silver shampoo, AG and so far this shampoo has gotten rid of most of the brassy yellow tones without turning my bright bleached hair lavender colour. It has turned my hair in a nice ashy/grey blonde. I highly recommend this conditioner. I haven't tried the shampoo, the salesperson suggested I tried out the conditioner on its own. I'm very happy with this purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: now that I'm platinum (and sometimes pastels), this is awesome. In fact, I slept in it and my hair turned lavender/grey! Okay not awesome for some people but I'd rather overtone my hair and have it wash out than have the dreaded yellows. This is stronger than manic panic virgin snow and smells so great. Use caution when pairing with purple shampoos.. Your hair WILL turn lavender! Ha!

I have (dyed) light brown hair that I'm fighting with the brass. My natural color is dark. An aveda rep told me although this is targeted for blondes/greys/silvers, it should help my light brown brassiness. Being called BLUE malva, I thought it would! It's really just another violet conditioner though. Maybe more pigmented. It smells nice and I'm sure would be great for someone with very pale hair. Made minimal difference for me and wasn't conditioning enough. I loooove the smell though. I'll continue to use it if I just need a regular (non-deep) conditioner. For toning the brass out of my light brown, a dab of BLUE manic panic in conditioner worked a charm.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ellsiee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm torn with this product. I just finished the bottle and on the one hand, it is surprisingly good at applying that brass fighting purple pigment. On the other, it is terribly drying. I much prefer the Alterna Caviar blonde conditioner, but Aveda's is drastically cheaper. I would recommend that if you are set on this, to alternate daily between a nice hydrating conditioner and this one. If you're really looking for some brass fighting shampoo, my all time favorite for color and moisture is Schwarzkopf Bonacure Color Save Silver Shampoo.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Update: 3/28/14 - If you are looking for a conditioner that will "TONE" white hair or cancel out yellow this is the product. As noted in my original review, I initially returned this conditioner to Aveda because it simply does not condition or moisturize my natural silver platinum hair. After trying a myriad of blue and purple shampoos/conditioners that either tinged my hair a bluish gray or "brightened" the white, I reverted back to the Blue Malva. I now use this as a toner on my white hair at the crown (not becoming). The result is a delicate pale, silvery beige that looks quite natural. I don't use this after every shampoo but I do on occasion leave in my hair at night and shampoo out the next morning. I do NOT use purple or blue shampoos and I condition with Pureology's Hydrate until I find better. My original comment is noted below.

Original review: I returned this product to Aveda after using for several weeks. Pros: the conditioner minimized the slight yellow tones on my natural, silver platinum hair. Cons: Little to no moisture but rather softened my hair to a point that it was difficult to manage and impossible to hold a style. Reading other comments, Blue Malva probably works best for those with highlights and/or color treated hair.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 5:21:00 AM More reviews by mrsugly

Love this product.
I get so many compliments whenever i use it!
My hair is naturally fair but i get highlights. I swear this has saved me a fortune in salon costs, I rarely have to go because of this. If my hair is looking a bit dull, i just use this and it freshens it straight up.
Just a bit on the exxy side but totally worth it - i currently have 3 "in stock" at my house in a kind of doomsday prepper/what if aveda discontinue it kind of way.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by jess37909

Let me start by saying that I LOVE the color that this product deposits. After laying in the sun during the summer my dark brown hair turns brassy. This product quickly eliminates that. There is however something about this that my hair does not like.

1) It stains everything. Be careful, it can get on the shower walls if you have long hair like me. It also stains the palm of my hands. No big deal , just means the color is intense.

2) It turned my hair to straw!!!! Horrible, dull, awful , stiff as paper ! Not good. I know it was the culprit because it started as soon as I used this and stopped as soon as I stopped using it.

3)Oddly enough it seems like I lost a ton of hair whenever I used this.

It didn't work for me , but hey, not everything reacts the same :)

I'm now officially done using Aveda products (until the next time I decide to try out something new ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by lemonz4us

I like this, it smells herbally, like rosemary and lavender, and i hate the smell of lavender. I have brown hair with a lotttt of blonde highlights, this keeps them platinum blonde and lovely, used about once every 2 weeks or so. strange that this is called BLUE malva, a sort of misnomer, because the conditioner is purple colored, and purple counteracts yellow brass, blue counteracts orange...? i wish this made my light brown hair more ashy, but it doesnt touch my brown hair for some reason. i leave it in the shower for about 5-10 minutes after using my ag sterling silver shampoo. This conditioner is actually pretty moisturizing on its own, i dont feel the need to follow with anything else when i use it. because i use this so infrequently, i guess it's worth the price and itll last a long time. about 20 bucks at the salon for an 8oz tube. Some users say this may stain their bathroom and hands, i don't find this to be the case at all, it comes right off with water, even if i dont rinse right away, in fact it doesnt stain at all really. Will repurchase if i go blonde again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by RedLipsCatEyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great for to toning out brassiness on light blonde hair - it's more blue as the name suggests than it is purple so it's perfect for more orange brassiness in blondes and not just the yellowing of grey or platinum hair. Other than being great for toning it isn't so great for anything else. It is not very rich or moisturizing. In fact of you CO-wash and happen to be blonde this is a good option for you as it is as drying as most shampoos. Would I buy this again? I'm on the fence as I like the more blue-ish toning quality vs most bright purple shampoos out there and for a conditioner it's very good at toning - just as good as most shampoos. But the stripped feeling it leaves isn't my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 6:32:00 PM More reviews by 4paws

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this conditioner for toning down any brassiness in my hair, and on my fine, curly hair it is moisturizing but never heavy; it makes my hair soft and seems to help with curl definition. The smell is a nice subtle lavender scent that does not stay in the hair, so it does not compete with whatever other scents one wears.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 5:05:00 PM More reviews by josie13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only blue conditioner that has minimal "cones". It works well to tone down brassiness and together with my Organic Connect Silver Shampoo it makes my bleached hair a gorgeous platinum colour. Lovely smell. On the down side it is not very moisturising and I wish Aveda would remove the "cones" all together.