September 3, 2014 | 1326 users online

Fragrances - Sephora - Fleur de Sephora- Hibiscus

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2005 4:25:00 PM More reviews by HOOTNKELSEY

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LIKED THIS SCENT. THIS SMELLS LIKE BABY OIL.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2005 3:54:00 AM More reviews by Moodeln

I'm very surprised by how much I like this scent. Bad news first: it's not a complex fragrance, and the lasting power isn't spectacular. However, it *is* a musky/powdery floral that's sweet without being cloying. It reminds me a bit of Hugo Boss Red. My personal tastes swing towards big obnoxious orientals with no floral whatsoever, which means my options get severely limited during the summer, when any bigger fragrance gets overwhelming. I'll definitely wear this during hot weather.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2004 5:47:00 PM More reviews by helg

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is part of the new line "Fleur de Sephora" , a series of light-bulb shaped glass bottles in translucent pastels , each bearing the name of a flower combining a floral note with another complimentary spicy note.

The packaging is pretty and appealing and the price is really good ( 21 euros for 50 ml ).
As to the scent of it, this would be my pick if I were to choose something out of them.
I take the chance to REVIEW BRIEFLY THE REST OF THE LINE:
Lotus (watery like Kenzo Parfum d'ete or Miyake ), jasmine( also watery somehow and greenish like Bulgari Cologne au the vert, not really lush as jasmin is ) and Rose ( a musky rose , perhaps a little dusty )are not the best examples of the line. Peony seems popular because of its floral-fruity aspect reminding one of a million fragrances on the market right now -Gucci EDP II comes to mind with its mandarin top notes and blackberry heart. A little sour perhaps and boring consequently. Magnolia I liked in the drydown , when patchouli calms and mellows in a soft cloud. Orchid is also nice and cardamom-spicy , for people liking spicy things.
But let's talk about Hibiscus.
Hibiscus flower is the centre of this fragrance along with cedar. I suspect what is actually in it is propably synthetic ambrette seeds , a plant-derived musk that is related to the hibiscus flower if I am not mistaken , that has a soft quality and tender result on the skin. Cedar perhaps anchors it and grounds it more. There has to be something softly powdery in there too : iris? (no , too expensive for this ) linalool? (perhaps , it comes from rosewood ) or coumarin ( a hay like softness ). I don't really know. What I know is that it is a nice scent with sweetness and softness that holds its own very well. Compared to Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan or Kenzo Flower for example , which is also powdery and soft , Hibiscus doesn't disappear. It's even perhaps more wearable , since the Cashmere is a bit overpowering if overdone (though the lotion is fine on its own)

Also Hibiscus is very tenacious and long lasting both on skin ( a good 6 hours on mine ) and on the blotter ( 6 days on a blotter in my purse , and it still holds a faint whisper - so imagine what it can do on a cotton ball inside your bra ).

All in all it's perfectly fine for what it is. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2004 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Afternoon_Sunshine

I love the packaging more then the scent itself. Hibiscus is VERY sweet, sugar-packed, as sweet as Hugo woman, or Victoria's Secret's Heavenly. So if you like to smell sweet, you won't be desappointed with Hibiscus.

However, for me, Hibiscus is not interesting enough. after applying for a while, the sweetness turns a little powdery, that's about as interesting as this blend ever gets.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2004 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Suzy_h

I too am very impressed. I received this free from Sephora using the shopetc code (no longer valid, sorry). This scent is a blend that is hard to describe. It is musky and warm yet soft and alluring, with a slight floral, powder scent. It just smells so lovely. I normally hate powder scents, but this is just done so delicately. Sensual and sexy. Suitable for day or evening. Lasting power is incredible. The bottle is simple yet lovely too. I am going to get more of these.