MAC Shadestick

3.6

on 12/7/2013 6:07:00 PM

I really enjoy this shadestick because it makes putting on eye makeup effortlessly easy. The color consistency always looks great and the application is perfect every time. It is so easy to add a little bit a definition and color to your eyes in just minutes using MAC's Shadestick.

on 12/7/2013 5:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love my shadesticks. I have butternutty and lemon chiffon. I purchased them several years ago and still use them on a daily basis. They're creamy, soft, dry down quickly and grab color very well. They've lasted sooo much longer than the comparable UD 24/7 pencils. The UD pencils dried out very quickly whereas the shadesticks are still not only usable but like new, even after roughly 4 years!! My only regret is not having purchased more.

on 11/4/2013 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I think this is a really great concept, but MAC should revamp the formula to something similar to the Laura Mercier caviar sticks. Its a shame since MAC came out with pretty shades with the Warm & Cozy collection. I also like Pink Chiffon and Sharkskin. So many brands have come out with a similar product, but not as dry as this formula. I will not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A few years back when these first came out I got talked into buying two (Gentle Lentil and Sharkskin) like a huge sucker. The first few times I used them they were great: smooth application, good color payoff. After about a month or two, they shrivled up, dried out (and I made sure to close the cap tightly each time), and the product fell out of the packaging tube. They dry out sooo quickly, and once they do good luck with making this product work. I eventually just threw the Sharkskin packaging in my B2M empties bag and I occasionally can make Gentle Lentil work for a brow pencil. So glad MAC discontinued these, and it was definately not the quality I typically expect from MAC.

on 5/28/2011 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Easily the worst product I've ever bought from MAC. I've been thinking that my application was wrong - but no, these just suck. I've tried every single way to apply these and every time I'm left with sore eyes, uneven color distribution, and shattered dreams. I've had two of these in my drawer for over a year. I pick them up every month or so to see if I can get them to work, but I'm always left frustrated and angry that I wasted my money in the first place. My eyes are red, sore, and angry with me as I type this because for some masochistic reason I just tried to use my shadesticks again. Took me forever to apply then another 30 minutes to fix using various Urban Decay 24/7 pencils (which, btw, are awesome).

on 4/20/2011 6:51:00 PM

I bought this thinking it would be a great cream-like shadow to work as a base. However, it's extremely hard in texture, which makes it almost impossible to put on. I have to rub it between my fingers to soften it each time I want to use it. Which has lead to me not using it much at all. I was pretty disappointed. Not worth the money at all.

on 11/21/2010 8:40:00 PM

I tried my very first shadestick I received in a swap a couple days ago. I applied it and it went on kind of blotchy and uneven. I applied more to those areas then applied 3 different shadows from my Sephora Color Play palette over it.
I have a bad habit of not taking my makeup off before bed and always wake up with my eye makeup smeared and gross looking. However, my eyes were almost the same as the previous night! My lower liner was gone (like it always does) but the shadows were perfect like I had just applied them :)
I was amazed but I am disappointed the shadesticks don't stay in the packaging like it should...mine was wobbly when I applied it and eventually came out when I dropped it...
I would buy again if there was a greater color range.

on 7/29/2010 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was disappointed by these. I purchased many and of these in neutral shades to wear as bases under eyeshadow. They look quite nice by themselves too. However, they don't apply very well, and they leave uneven deposits of color on my eyelids when I'm not careful. They dry out and crumble very quickly, and the stick breaks apart before you'll be able to use all of the product. This is not worth the money. Try the NYX Jumbo Eye Shadow Pencils.

on 6/21/2010 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this product a while ago in a shimmery white colour and I was really disappointed with it. It wouldn't go on smoothly even after I warmed it up. It was always really dry and lumpy and I could not layer any shadow over top because of that reason. I had to tug at my eyelid to apply and I found it dried up quickly due to the packaging as well. I might purchase this product in sharkskin as Panacea81 always uses it and raves over it but I think I would most likely purchase a NYX Jumbo eye pencil or something instead as they are much more creamy and easier to apply. This is too bad as I do love MAC. ;) *wink*

on 4/9/2009 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Shadesticks are my favorite to collect. They're the best for traveling. I love paint pots too, but I would never bring one with me on vacation. I never had a problem with them drying out, just make sure you fully close them. They come in all kinds of colors, and work great as a base. Now that they are being discontinued, I really regret not buying them all. My all time favorite shade is Lucky Jade.