April 23, 2014 | 1959 users online

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall - 4
Price - 4
Packaging - 4

My first gel eyeliner. Doesn't smear as easily as other eyelining options I've tried over the years. I like to tightline with this though. Love that it gives subtle colour but is still dark enough so that I don't look like a kid who coloured with their crayons.
I've had mine several years now and it's starting to dry out now. I definitely recommend scooping a small amount into a separate container as you go so that you are not exposing the whole jar to air constantly and drying it out. This tip has helped me keep my MAC fluidline fresher longer. This didn't apply as smoothly as my fluidline but I still love it.

I probably won't repurchase only because there are way more gel eyeliner options out there for me to try now. I got this before all the drugstore brands started offering their versions.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by judiness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I agree with most of the review, this is much more of a plum-black than an actual violet color. I swatched it evely on my end and it has a black base with plum shimmer. On the eyes it just looks like a soft black. If you are aware of it this is by no means a bad product, but when you expect a purple liner this is upsetting. For 9$ a gram I expected more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

I've been hunting for a nice violet gel liner for a while to compliment my everyday eyeshadow look of MAC Trax and Urban Decay Sin. Lots of online research led me to buy Violet Ink from Bobbi Brown. I'm not impressed with the formula, compared to YSL's and MAC's gel liners it's not as smooth to work with, and not as pigmented either. The Violet shade is actually bordering on purple-black, which isn't what I wanted. I also found it hard to apply to my waterline, which I never have trouble doing with YSL or MAC fluidlines. It's not matte, nor shimmer, I'd say it has a Satin finish. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 8:55:00 AM More reviews by TheSilverSnowflake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

Violet Ink was the first Bobbi Brown product I ever bought, and it was my first experience with gel liner. One of my etiquette books recommended gel eyeliner for bridal make-up, and after doing a ton of research, the Bobbi Brown was the best option I found. It's a little pricy, but I've had mine for over two years now, and about half of the package is still left, so it's one of those things I don't mind splurging on. My bridal look was lavender/purple eyeshadow, to accent my violet contacts, and the Violet Ink did a nice job complimenting it. I saw several people who said it had a nice shimmer to it, and for me, at least, it does - on the back of my hand and in the pot. On my eyes, it looks a bit matte, possibly in the satin range. The purple tone is a little subtle, but I don't mind that. It's still softer than your basic matte black, and not as "average" as brown. In regards to the eyeliner itself, not just the color, there is a clear learning curve. It took me a handful of brushes (literally) to find one that gave me a neat line, and that was the flat eyeliner brush from Avon. (It's a squared off, thin tip. I press one long side of the tip into the pot, then run that edge along my waterline, and press the very tip into my lashline for everyday, daytime wear.) But even still, I kept finding that, without a ton of smudge work, it looked like crayon (kind of splotchy) until someone told me to wet the brush before applying! I've read/watched dozens of tutorials, and no one ever recommended that! Now it works like magic. It's more precise than my pencils, and stays put for a MINIMUM of 12 hours on my lashline. (Usually 24-36, if I don't wash it off.) About 8-12 is the norm for my waterline. I've tried a few other gel liners now, and the only one that came close to this is the Maybelline Eyestudio, which I have in Forest. If you don't have the money for BB, or are just starting out with gels, try the Eyestudio first. (They only have three or four colors, however.) I'm picking up a few more BBs soon. I wish they had more than just the one purple tone, though!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/4/2012 3:27:00 AM More reviews by meloli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this gel liner in black ink, espresso ink, and violet ink. I LOVE love love the black and espresso colours but this colour was a bit disappointing. Unlike the black and espresso which only need one swipe to get pigmented day-long-wear colour and definition, the violet doesn't come out as pigmented. When applied on top of eyeshadow (neutral, nothing dramatic), the line barely shows up.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been a big fan of cake liner and cream liner, so I thought I'd try this. It shows up as sort of a smokey purple -- if I put more on the color is more intense, but I wish it were a more vivid shade of violet. Still, it makes my green eyes pop pretty good.

Although the liner on my top lid lasts all day, the liner on the lower lid smears, and no one needs that so I downgraded it to 3 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 3:42:00 AM More reviews by artemistzitzikilakis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The color in the pot and in pictures is misleading big time. It in no way looks this purple on your lids and is too light for me, though I will keep it.

I have tried all gel liners I think: Stila, Lancome, Tarte, Buxom, etc. and Bobbi Brown really has it, the performance, perfected. You would think a cream would go on like any other cream, but not so. I use the Sephora IT brush and this somehow just doesn't clump on the brush like others. I don't know how they do it, but just the right amount goes on the brush using the same technique as other lid gels.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by bellaw13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This is a really nice eyeliner. It stays ALL DAY and is such a perfect colour. It's great for me because it isn't too bright for everyday and is a more fun softer version of black to wear everyday especially for fair people with reasonably pale colouring. It is really easy to apply and is nice and creamy to apply. This makes your eyes look amazing and i would definitely recomend it to absolutely anyone

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Collyermum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like the soft, almost mousse like quality of this eyeliner and find it softer to apply than the MAC gel liners. However, it dries quicker and is harder to smudge for a softer look as you have to be so quick!

The colour was also disappointing as there is no discernable violet on me even when teamed with mauve eyeshadows. Maybe I will have to try a second coat as some reviewers suggested - but I never have to do this with MAC liners!

I will use up this pot as it is easy to use, and stays all day with no problem at all, I'm just disappointed in the colour and the sheerness of the product. I'll probably try another in the range sometime though as the consistency and staying power is very good, but I won't be rebuying in this colour.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2011 10:29:00 AM More reviews by SherryL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been a big fan of BB for many years and have even finished and replaced a few shades of her long-wear gel eyeliner (love espresso); however, this particular shade was a disappointment. I had to layer and layer AND layer to get the color to really show up. I "eventually" liked the purple tint, but c'mon, I shouldn't have to go over and over the same line 5x to be able to see it. I could have achieved this look more quickly by using the espresso gel liner topped with a quick swipe of MAC Violet pigment. I ended up returning this product.