December 20, 2014 | 1610 users online

Mascara - Cover Girl - CG Smoothers Conditioning Mascara in Clear

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I made my own brow gel with a new tube of Cover Girl mascara that's clear mixed with a bit of MAC eyeshadow in the color "bark", and I'm utterly thrilled it worked! I told my husband I just saved him twenty bucks! The shade gel I created is exactly the same as the discontinued (grrr-still mad at Maybelline for this) twin brow/eye pencils (the red ones that have been around forever) in charcoal grey, which was the greatest color ever.
I'm so happy with it! It worked perfectly! Tints my brows and looks so natural.
Not affiliated with beautifulwithbrains blog, but it was where I found the instructions on how to do it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Jenni4Design

It's okay as a mascara, it holds my lashes in a a nice curled shape. My lashes can be a little wild and unruly looking so this just gives me a nice natural open look. And most importantly has never irritated my sensitive eyes.

I really like this product as a brow tamer/shaper though. Does a good job for little $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2008 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Kittens88

It was 40C and I did not feel like applying heavy, thick black stuff to my lashes. So off I went on a hunt for something different.
I found the Smoothers gel mascara and decided to give it a go. It was $5 and I liked how it doubled as a brow tamer, which is a bonus for those of us with flyaway brows :)
The gel went on evenly and felt nice and light. My lashes darkened a smidge which was enough for me. Especially on a hot day. It tamed my brows without that crusty feeling.
All in all a decent buy. If your looking for the whole sha-bang that comes with a mascara, this is not it. This is perfect for those of us who cannot leave the house without makeup, and don't want to wear anything heavy when it it hotter then h*** outside.
Try it, it is a nice buy to have stashed away in the makeup bag.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 8:10:00 AM More reviews by stitcheskisses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just made my eyelashes feel wet and heavy.not a good feeling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by LiisUsa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this to tame and help shape my brows. The clear gel darkens my light brown brows but also keeps them locked in place for several hours. The curved brush isn't ideal but I can deal with the brush. The gel itself has great hold and for under $5 I'm satisfied.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2007 3:29:00 AM More reviews by snowcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't use this for my lashes because I figure it's pointless (clear mascara seems useless to me), but I do use it for my eyebrows. I have thick, bushy brows that can get crazy, so I expect a lot from brow gels. This one works fine... it holds the hairs in place, keeps it that way for most of the day and it doesn't get flaky/crunchy. It also makes my eyebrows look more refined and smooth, if that makes any sense... it adds a little bit of gloss to my brows, but that doesn't last long. I would repurchase this as it is cheap and does what I want it do (keeps my brows in place).

Edit: I'm lowering my rating from 4 lippies to 1. This does hold my eyebrows in place for most of the day, but unfortunately it also flakes a lot and leaves white marks on my brows. Not a good look. I won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2007 3:54:00 AM More reviews by squiggles37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this to set my brows after I've filled them in with powder. The gross part is that the powder eventually starts to mix with the clear mascara and then it becomes this light brown milky mixture. But I don't care, it works great. Whenever I run out, I always buy more. I once tried Max Factor's clear mascara and I just did not like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2007 7:38:00 AM More reviews by foxytina1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great for eyebrows. I've used this for many years. Works to keep stray hair in place too, as a hair gel, if you're in a pinch.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2007 5:18:00 PM More reviews by mg84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this mascara for a brief period of time. I mainly bought it because every mascara that i was using at the time seemed to be causing irritation or giving me styes :(. So, i thought that a clear mascara would be my best option. Hmm, i don't really have any complaints about this product. It does make your lashes look healthy and it gives them a tiny bit of a lift, and using it with a curler should work well too. Somehow, i gave real mascara another try one day, and it didn't cause any more irritation :S - so since then, i haven't used this - but i have sometimes used it to tame my eyebrows - and it does a good job. Overall, no complaints - and i am glad that i had this product around when i felt like i wanted to add something to my eyes, but other mascaras were too irritating. It may not create a dramatic difference, but i think it does do a little something :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 12:38:00 AM More reviews by britnay_77

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I totally agree with fellow MUAers this is GREAT as a brow fixtive - just a little is enough, I sometimes use this as a mascara, eg. when swimmink and it works fine, but then again my eyelashes are BLONDE so I can't really tell ANYTHING, Sometimes, if I can be bothered, I get my eyelashes tinted black, and on these occasions I enjoy wearing clear mascara, this one is not so good for a "mascara" as such, it just makes my lashes kinda 'wet' is heavy and pulls them downward (meaning my lashes hav NO curl). Sorry for babbling on about this because I DONT REALLY CARE that it doesn't work as a mascara because this is my HG eyebrow tamer, SO GOOD and it will work on ives it any colour brows (even very light blonde like mine) cuz its clear, infact cuz of the 'wet' effect it ever so slightly darkes my brows and makes them deliciously shiny and not too hard like traditional clear mascaras. HG HG HG:)