October 25, 2014 | 991 users online

CD/Books/Movies - Paula's Choice - Beauty Bible 2nd edition

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 12:19:00 PM More reviews by ladyofpaint

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this book, just as I like the majority of Paula's products. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to have healthier skin. I have followed her advice for some time now and have improved the condition of my skin one hundred-fold since I started using the right products (most of which are from her line). She is a smart, well-informed woman who lays it on the line. Over the decades, too many of us have been enticed by the advertising gimmicks of cosmetic companies. I appreciate her truthfulness about what really goes on behind closed doors of these money-hunger companies with their sneaky marketing promises.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think that everybody that is on Make Up Alley, is a kind of cosmetics junky.
There are not a lot of books for cosmetics junkies, so this one is a good option. There is a chapter for every imaginary skinproblem.

What I don't like is that Paula sticks to her opinion about some issues (I do not agree with her about them), she writes:

- Everybody has to and can use BHA
- All products have to be loaded with antioxidants
- You have to wear sunscreen all year round
- All natural is not a good option
- SLS and SLES are not bad for skin
- Mineral Oil is not bad for skin
- Functional cleansers (example with BHA) are a waste
- Silicones are good for hair and skin

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2009 12:54:00 AM More reviews by reallychelseawow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This book annoyed me.
I like Paula's Choice products, and I like her "don't go to the makeup counter" books.
But this was frustrated me horribly.
I gave it two lippies because there was some useful information. What AHA and BHAs do to your skin, the differences between chemical and physical suncreens etc.
But then when she starts in with her opinion, I have to almost put it down.
Much of it is personal and I find so much of it goes against what is on her website now.
The tipping line was when she said Mineral Oil should cause little to no breakouts or irritation, unlike natural oils. I can't go near a product with mineral oil it without getting a horrible rash and breakouts. Well that may be personal, I don't know many people who can use mineral oil and not break out. Her opinion on acne seemed hopeless. I felt like all she was saying was if SA or BP didn't work, go on accutane.
I just was annoyed. Bah bad book.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2009 3:52:00 PM More reviews by darcho

This is a great book and I truly learned so much when I read it! I still have on my night stand and go over some sections when I need it. It's also a great encyclopedic type of book that I can read on different ingredients and formulations.
This was the second book I read on skincare. the first one "idiot's guide of skin care" (something like that) was ok and it gave some advice how to care for my skin. until then i was clueless and in fact I hadn't really taken care of it at all. Paula's book opened my eyes. Ever since I follow her blog, the newsletter, beautypedia web site. This does not mean I am blindly following everything she says or recommend but I value her reviews a lot. Thanks again Paula!
I won't purchase the new edition since I can read almost everything online. I could eventually get it from the library to look over it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2008 7:14:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

While I applaud Paula for writing a book aimed at educating the lay public about skincare and cosmetics and the racket which surrounds the industry, I am angry that I spent money on this book for a number of reasons:

1. This is suspiciously similar to all the blabbing she does in her other book.

2. She once again (as in the other book) seems to mysteriously love her own product line quite a bit which makes me question her objectivity.

3. Based on Paula's talk about her product line, this seems like a perfect marketing gimmick...buy her book, then buy her products since they're supposedly so awesome.

4. She definitely seems to have her favorite products (besides her own) and tries to make her readers believe she's being completely objective. However, she proves that it is almost impossible to be completely objective when evaluating skincare products. She is offering her opinion, plain and simple. And she should admit it.

I guess Paula has no guilt about making all that money through her book sales. What a rip off...I guess if you have limited knowledge about skin structure and skincare products, then this book may have some value to you. But beware...it will probably make many women paranoid about the industry and place faith in a woman who is just as full of it as the companies she trash-talks...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2007 7:43:00 PM More reviews by goofyhusky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I learned so much from this book and I feel like I was such an idiot before I read it. Bravo! I have also read her other book about hair care, that one is cool too. I haven't read "Don't go to shop for cosmetics without me" though.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2006 11:14:00 AM More reviews by gingerc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This book is an interesting read. I learned a lot. I recommend that everyone read this book.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2006 2:48:00 PM More reviews by JCahan

Great book! Lots of great information!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2006 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my favorite of all Paula´s books, she knows often what shes saying. A lot of good info about face and body care. In this book you can find info about acne, wrinkles, BHA...almoust everything that has something to do with beauty... Feels like you have to have all her books to work togheter, to get the most of what´s she´s saying. I always have to cheak up the product in the 2 other books that shes talking about in this one. Paula loves her sunscreen and AHA/BHA... and ofcourse her own line that is the best(that I´m going to test someday)...
I always read one of her books before buying a new product, but I use many of the ones that she doesnt like and they work fore me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2006 5:14:00 AM More reviews by Eing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I respect Paula so much for writing this book. It has completely changed my beliefs about the cosmetics industry and the way I take care of my skin. I have learned why most salicylic acid products did absolutely nothing for my acne (pH was higher than 4), that sunscreens are not required to protect against UVA rays and which sunscreen ingredients do offer full protection (titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone), how to read a product label and avoid irritating ingredients, why irritating ingredients are bad even if they don't seem to be doing any harm (long story short, they break down the skin's intercellular matrix), that acne products should NEVER dry the skin (if they do, they contain irritants and will make the condition worse), that anti-aging creams can't do anything real about wrinkles (unless they contain a broad spectrum sunscreen preferably with some antioxidants, which will only prevent wrinkles) and so much more information including that about cosmetic procedures. This book also has product reviews, and while I strongly reccommend taking Paula's advice about skincare products, her makeup reviews are very biased. In general, I've found that her reviews about foundations, concealers, powders, and mascaras are usually great, but her reviews about eyeshadows, lipsticks, and blush tend to be a bit more controversial. Basically, she dislikes the use of products with shimmer except when used sparingly at night, and she dislikes the use of colors that fall outside the range of browns, grays, and soft violets. Also, the amount of pigment she prefers may not suit everyone; I tend to like sheerer colors than Paula, and others might like more pigmented colors. However, Paula's makeup reviews are more often than not agreeable when it comes to the quality of application. In regards to her advice on a good makeup application, it might be helpful to read and isn't wrong, but isn't neccesarily right either. It depends on what works best for you. If you don't want to buy the book, most of the especially useful information can be found on her website, www.cosmeticscop.com.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No