October 25, 2014 | 926 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - Preference True Brunettes

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by ub404mybaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have dark brown hair, followed the directions and it did nothing. Very disappointed. Roots lightened my overall hair did not. Now I'm going to have to go tothe salon, ugh. I've used Loreal before with great results, but this did nothing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by milchtea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

L'oreal Extra Light Ash Brown LC61: Caramel

Overall: I have very dark Asian hair, and this is the only hair colour so far that gave me a brass-free brown colour. My hair is now a medium brown with a mild ombre effect, which is exactly what I wanted. I was a bit worried since "Caramel" is usually just another name for "brass", but it's actually not in this case. I still wish it was even more ash-ey, though.

Application: I applied it to the tips of my hair first and gradually moved up to above my ears. Did not touch my roots. Processing was very fast, around 10 minutes or less.

The only con about this product is that the smell was too strong. I already had the fan on in the bathroom but found myself having to step outside every few minutes because the air becomes too saturated with chemicals to breathe. Also, if you somehow get it on walls, it leaves a permanent purple stain even after you wipe it off.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by strawberrymelons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Review for: L'Oreal's True Brunettes LC 61 in Caramel

I will start off by saying that I have been DYING MY HAIR DARK BROWN for years now. Two weeks ago I used Color Oops to try and remove the dark brown but that product didn't really do much except give my hair brassy red tones. So I bought L'Oreal's LC 61 (2 boxes because I have really long hair) which is meant to lighten natural dark hair to a lighter brown. I bought this product and stared at it for a while hesitating to dye my hair due to the bad reviews on MUA. Tonight I died only the bottom half of my hair because once again I was scared of my hair turning orange. I left the dye in for 30 minutes and after rinsing it out and drying it my hair lightened about 2 shades from what I had before. Some people might say that is nothing but most of us know how hard it is to get dark brown or black dye out of the hair without using bleach; considering this I am more then satisfied with the fact that this actually lightened my hair without any brassy tones. I will dye the top of my hair in about 2-3 days. I will buy this color again in a month and see how much it lightens. I will keep on dying it every month with this colour and hopefully it eventually matches my natural light ash brown hair.

PS. Like everyone on here said the conditioner is amazing and it smells oh so good.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by ajgallion

First off, I am a guy so I felt this was very important to review since I hate going to a salon to get my hair colored for outrageous prices when my hair is not long. The salon I go to for a cut charges $55 which I feel is a lot for someone with hair not any longer than 4 inches. At $8.99, I felt it was worth a shot and was happy I did.

Background: I got my hair colored a month ago my salon and the color was touted as being "organic" and from "Italy" -- which in the beauty world means the best (I suppose) -- so I took a shot at it, wanting to go from very dark brown hair to a light, caramel brown. My hair came out looking more like Prince Harry "strawberry blonde" than JLo "cafe latte". They tried fixing it and it looked "better" but I still was not impressed. $55 dollars plus a $20 toning treatment left me $75 poorer and pretty sad.

My original fix: I bought L'Oreal's Preference "Natural Ash Brown" color, which counteracted the horrible "reddish blonde" color, giving me the closest to a caramel blonde. A week later I colored it with "Medium Brown" and achieved my sought after color of light caramel brown.

This PRODUCT: After three weeks of waiting, I decided to try L'Oreal Preference UL61 Hi-Lift Ash Brown since it stated worked only on dark to medium browns. I wanted to make sure my roots looked the same if not a shade darker than the rest of my colored hair. The smell was horrible, giving me a headache, so make sure you color or wait in a room larger than 10x12. The color of the dye looked blackish-purple, which worried me that I was going darker than I wanted. Also, the color was thick at first but over time started to run and drip. After waiting 35 minutes, I washed my hair to reveal the best caramel color ever! I will never color at a salon after finding such a wonderful color.

Last Thoughts: I read a lot of reviewers who had bad results. My roots, the darkest part of my hair, turned a medium caramel color while my previously dyed hair turned a light, caramel (similar to a cafe latte). I had no brassiness at all. Everyone's hair is different but I would recommend this to anyone who wants to lighten to a light brown and has hair darker than a medium brown.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by beeeez

The Canadian version is called "Les Caramels" and they call the color "Extra Light Ash Brown LC61" where as States is "True Brunettes Ultra Light Ash Brown UL61." And I live in Vancouver so yeah haha.

So recently I dyed my hair this color and I have to say, there is a lot of ASH TONES in it and I LOVE that. In florescent light it can look orangey but sunlight it looks yellowy green and indoors in general, is like regular ash tone brown. I LOVE LOVE this. I had my hair dyed black before this so I had to use the Colorist Secrets Hair Color Remover. THE ONLY THING THAT REMOVED THE BLACK out of my hair!!! I only left that on to a point i saw a bit of color change. So red undertone I guess? After only 5mins. I didnt wait til it was bright orange or blond. And then right after i used the Loreal Preference and voila!!! LIGHT ASH BROWN!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by blindedbybliss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great for lightening once dyed black hair. I first did color oops then two vitamin c treatments to strip the black dye. I used this about two months later and I was extremely happy it worked so well. It didn't come out light as it shows on the box but I wasn't expecting it to. It's a lovely medium brown color I'm just happy I didn't have to go through the hassle of bleaching then coloring over it. I will be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 11:25:00 PM More reviews by jnichole97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Review for UL61:

I have naturally light/medium (mousy) brown hair with a heavy grey/white streak in front (started turning when I was 14) and numerous greys thru the crown. I had it professionally colored for over 12 years and have colored at home for 4.

I have used various drug-store brands and it has been dyed EVERY color under the sun. While I am sorry to hear that this has not worked for others, as far as boxed dye is concerned, I have to give it a rave review! I use it over previously highlighted and greys. However, (unlike most) I have found that you actually have to leave the dye on LONGER in order for it to lift enough; this will prevent orange tones. Since mine is really lighter than that of an actual "brunette", it comes out a very nice level 7 (dark blonde).

The initial result is muddy and my greys do have a blue/green cast to them, AT FIRST. The key is to use a clarifying shampoo immediately after rinsing the dye out...if you continue to do so for about a week, and can be patient enough to wait that long, the ash will fade away. If it is still too ashy for your liking, you can always tone with a semi-permanent that is TWO shades lighter than the actual one desired. Refer to the color wheel, and choose one with a base that is opposite of the ash. Because I have always looked best as a blonde, I choose to add highlights-only have had to do them ONCE A YR, thus far!

This method does require some patience, but I find it much cheaper than going to the salon and do not have to dye it nearly as often. Also, it is empowering to be able to dye it whenever you like and to not be a slave to your colorist's rates or appointment book! :) Hope this helps some of you lovely ladies on your quest to master the art of DIY. <3 Good luck to you all!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2012 6:53:00 PM More reviews by leslie7622

I have black/very dark brown asian hair and I used to dye my hair at the salon. It was getting expensive so I switched to box brands recently.

At the salon, I used to dye it a Light Golden Brown with Loreal's salon brand Majirel. I've tried several brands to dye my regrowth and none really matched. I've tried Clairol's Root Touch-Up (didn't do anything), Loreal Superior Preference (a little better/light but not quite) and finally Loreal Superior Preference les True Brunettes UL51.

This does have bleach on it and it smells like the ones at the salon so I guess the salon uses bleach too. It's a very strong smell and you can really feel it on your scalp. It's not a painful sting... kind of a menthol sting. After trying several brands, I learned that my hair is really dye resistant so the sting was actually comforting to me.

I did about 1 inch of my hair first to test its effectivity. After 30 minutes (according to the instructions although I included my roots since my roots were really dark and the rest of my hair was kinda light), I didn't see any change in the colored parts of my hair and it was a teeny bit lighter on my roots. So I did another swatch and went for 1 hour. It was better but still not quite. I was getting impatient so I did my whole hair head (roots only since it didn't affect the colored areas anyway) and saran wrapped my head and waited for about 55 minutes. Then I applied the dye on the rest of my hair and rinsed after about 5-10 minutes. Then I used the conditioner.

This was the closest my hair has come to the light golden brown that I got from the salon. On some of the finer hairs on my forehead it was a teeny TEENY bit too brown but was okay.

The reason I removed one lippie is because the box didn't include a brush (just gloves, the squeeze bottle, the gel, and the conditioner) and that for something for people with dark hair, I expected the instructions to be more accurate. I thought I wouldn't have to double the time (as I usually do) since this was for brunettes but apparently I was wrong.

I'll post a pic of my hair for this review. Only the first 2 inches of hair were dyed by the product. I applied the dye to the rest of my hair for about 5 minutes just to help it match. The picture is the one that is taken from above.

As for damage... I have really thick hair. I have a lot and each individual strand is thick. It takes a lot to damage my hair and this one didn't. The strand does feel a bit "strippy" and feels a bit dry. A few more conditioning treatments should fix that. I can't say it won't damage others because it is pretty strong... Some got on my forehead and I'm starting to break out there so be extra careful about not letting it get to your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2012 12:04:00 PM More reviews by alana2007

this is the best product ever. I used this on my roots which are very dark and it lightened them to a beautiful light brown in just 10 minutes and no brassiness. Now do not use on highlighted hair or hair lighter then medium brown or it will have a grayish cast to it. I only put it on my roots no where else as my hair is already light brown with highlights. It does have a very srtong smell so use it in a well ventilated space. I love love this product. It didn't damage my hair at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by iL0vMakeUp

I love the results! In order to dye my hair with this product, I had to use One N Only Colorfix to remove dark brown hair dye, since I didn't want to have the same problem people were having. I am glad I did, the results turned out great. I waited three days after I used colorfix, then I applied the dye to the ends first, then roots. I would definitely continue to use this product. :)