Joico Joico K-pak Thermal Design Foam

4.1

Deionized Water (Aqua), VP/VA Copolymer, Butane, Propane, Polyquaternium-46, Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Triamine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Cationic Triamine Complex), Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose Oil), Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Allantoin, Sodium Ascobryl Phosphate, Glycerin, Aleurites Molluccana Seed Oil, Thioctic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyquaternium-4, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Cocamidopropyl Hydrosulatine, Dimethicone PEG-8 Medowfoamate, Hydrolized Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silantriol, Cyclomethicone, Diazolidinyl Urea, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 1/12/2015 1:12:00 PM

I hope this product is never discontinued! It is truly my HG mousse. I have tried everything styling for my fine, now-thinning (due to age) waist-length hair. this is IT. for me. Especially when I start with other Joico products. My hair comes out of styling with bounce, body, shine, and a natural feeling thickness that requires no touch-ups, other than with my fingers, after being out in the wind, here in Saskatchewan.

I first began using Joico products 30 years ago, when I lived in California, and the only reason I switched to other products was that Joico was difficult to get in the rural area in northeast Saskatchewan where I now live. I turned to Garnier products, which are also good, but when my local pharmacy got in a supply of Joico, special ordered for a client (about the only way to get things, here) several Joico products became available on the shelves. I am so pleased, and will never turn back!

I wash and condition with Joico K-Pak Reconstruct shampoo and Color Therapy conditioner. Rinse. With sopping wet hair (before blotting) I add about 8 drops of Garneir Sleek and Shine serum. Towel blot, carefully. Spray K-Pak Reconstruct spray for fine/damaged hair. Apply a small golf-ball sized amount of K-Pak Thermal Design Foam, finger-comb it through my hair, starting at the roots, finally combing through to the ends with a good, smooth wooden comb. Let air dry while I apply make-up or dress. Briefly blow dry.

The most important thing I have found is that my hair is style-able right away, if I wish, and devoid of either grease or static, even in coldest winter (meaning, subject to very dry indoor air). No tangles, no breakage, and my color lasts! What more could one ask for. Oh, and the style lasts, through winter hats, scarves, wind, and pulling out from under heavy coats. What more can a woman over 60 with long hair I hope to keep as long as possible while looking good ask for?

The water one uses for washing, conditioning, and styling also matters. I found that almost none of my other go-to products worked well, once I moved here. Its the water, I am sure. However, Joico worked well in California, and is just as reliable here, where the water has a lot of lime scale, which builds up on everything from plumbing to laundry, unless you treat it right. All my Joico products work well, before and after coloring my hair, and whether or not I blow dry (about once a week, at the most). Without mentioning other well-known names, I have tried them all, and Joico works well for me. Advertising and availability are probably the only reasons I ever used anything else.

on 4/20/2014 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love joico products especially the K-Pak line but this was a total disappointment. I didn't make my hair feel soft at all in fact it did the opposite, it gave it a rough feeling and it looked dull and frizzy after styling. At first I thought it was my new curling iron so the next day I tried it again with a different one and it was the same. Really hated it, if I could give it 0 lippies I would.

on 1/18/2014 4:44:00 AM

I used to have thick, glossy, lush, dead straight hair but after I turned 40 it started thinning out a bit and getting dry, slightly wavy and frizzy. My favourite hairspray that I used to use to tame frizziness and smooth it also got discontinued. I bought this based on good reviews here. I hadn’t used a mousse since the 80s so I was a bit apprehensive but this is excellent. It makes my hair thick and glossy without any frizz and doesn’t make it crunchy or stiff like a lot of styling products. I hope it’s never discontinued!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this product based on the reviews. I too, have very fine hair. This product smells good, it gives a nice bit of volume & it doesn't make my hair crunchy or cause it to want to break off when I brush through any parts that weren't blow dried properly.

Here's the problem though: this makes the surface layer of my hair really static-y. If I hot roller & then try to brush through after, the whole top layer of my hair will try to follow the brush as I pull it away from my head. Ultimately this makes it so the hair isn't doing what I need it to so I've taken to mixing this 50/50 with some other mousse that lives under my bathroom sink (but was too crunchy etc on it's own).

I will not repurchase.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

An awesome mousse! I have very thin hair, and this adds a nice amount of body to it. Instead of buying it from my hairdresser I went to London Drugs where I got it for half the price.

on 1/8/2013 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow- this is the best volumizing mousse I've found so far. It doesn't weight down my hair and lasts for most of the day. Before this I was using hairspray or john freida... this is way better.

on 8/18/2012 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a lot of fine wavy hair, which this product is perfect for. Nice control, adds moisture and waves stay the day. Love it and recommend.

on 4/2/2012 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a WINNER for extremely FINE HAIR!!! Doesn't weigh down my hair which stops me from getting greasiness the next day. Has protein and protects. I see a visible difference in my hair when I expose it to protein. Fine hair lacks protein I have found out and it is essential to help it grow and not fall apart in the process. AGAIN, the things I wish I knew years ago. ;(
The price sucks but it's easy to get a hold of. I paid $22 Can. at Shoppers Drug-Mart in Vancouver.
EDIT: like most mousses..it makes your hair little stiff. Fine for my thin hair tho.

on 6/26/2011 4:25:00 PM

I have been using this styling mousse for 3 years now, and I haven't found anything to beat it. I have fine hair, and a moderate amount of it shoulder length, and I blow dry every time I style, 4-6 times a week, and I think this protects my hair from the blow drying. I asked my stylist which was easier on the hair, hot curlers or blow drying, and he thought blow drying was easier, as nothing but the brush was heat touching the hair. This definately adds body and the appearance of thickness to my hair. I use moroccan oil, then this, and some TIGI Bed head hair spray at the roots, then blow dry and finish with Kerastase resistance (the BEST hairspray around), and I'm good to go

on 9/30/2010 3:14:00 PM

I love the K-Pak treatment, so I was drawn to this. I have fine, straight, highlighted hair that I blowdry and curl with an iron every day so I've been on the lookout for a mouse that will help 1) protect my hair; 2) provide hold; 3) not get crunchy. This one has really been working for me. Some of the drugstore brands (I'm looking at you Tresemme) were drying out my hair and a bit too high on crunch level. This is expensive for sure, but my hair seems healthier and less dry/damaged so it's worth it for me. UPDATE: This was good, but just too expensive. I've switched to Aussie Opposites attract and it's working fine for me.

Popular Styling Products