NARS Afghan Red

4.5

on 1/23/2015 2:43:00 PM

I can't believe how beautiful this colour is! I had tried a couple of Nars lipsticks and the dry texture and the look on my lips had put me off.
I wanted a lovely semi-vamp shade for Spring and decided to give it a go and I am in love. The texture is smooth, it looks gorgeous on my lips. It doesn't feel dry to me.
I was afraid the colour might be too mauve and look a bit drab on me but no, it has enough life but it is subtly vamp.
I love it. I bought it on lookfantastic with some voucher I found online and the price was fantastic too!

on 8/2/2013 9:30:00 PM

STUNNING GORGEOUS COLOR
It's a deep rich garnet raspberry. It's vibrant but not distracting. It's unique yet classic. It's very flattering and really does make my teeth look whiter. It goes very well with my coloring. The only problem is it's a bit dry but I put a little aquaphor on top to help. Attached is a picture of me wearing it.

on 4/27/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really (really) wanted to love this product! I guess I was expecting a little too much, then again for the price of it I'd want at least 3-4 hours wear. it lasted an hour to an hour and a half max. I fell in love with the color when I saw it on the website, it looked like burgundy/deep wine.. which I love because they look gorgeous on my skin (Punjab in NARS Sheer glow).. if you only use one coat it looks like a lip stain.. two coats and the color looks gorgeous! For a few months the color was very deep and gorgeous, it recently turned into a red-orange but not the type of red-orange that is flattering to my skin and I don't like it, I don't know if anybody has had this problem, but it made me so sad, the original color of it was so gorgeous!! also make sure your lips are hydrated and smooth before applying this lipstick, or else every little line will show!

on 2/17/2013 12:09:00 AM

I wish I could get a NARS product to work for me, I haven't had very much luck with any of the ones I have tried. This lipstick is no exception!

The first problem with this is that the color was absolutely dreadful on me. I had the same problem when I tried Mata Hari blush, which I was not expecting, and which seems to work for everyone else. Afghan Red is like a plummy wine red to me, almost burgundy in certain lights. I can pull off some plum lipsticks (Wet n' Wild's Sugar Plum Fairy actually looks similar to this but 1000% better on me than this did, with a better texture. I was shocked!) But anyway, this color just drained the life out of my face and made me look jaundiced and splotchy and wan. I'm about an NC10 (or NC05 at my palest) and have some yellow-olive undertones, but also some rosiness to my skin. Something about the pigments in this just clashed horribly for me with this.

The formula. Oh god, the formula. It was so drying!! And the (dark, unflattering, almost greyish) pigment gathered in the newly formed cracks in my lips and generally made me very unhappy. So now this sits in my makeup drawer unused and with copious dust gathering on its rubbery packaging.

on 11/29/2012 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I am very cool, rather pale. Classic style.

I love this color. Two thin coats with a brush give me the perfect look.

Not too garish,
Not too blah,
Not too screamy
Not too blue,
Not too matte,
Not too shimmery.

If I want a redder look I can mix it with some Red Lizard.

So far my favorite lipsticks are NARS.
I only have three, Flair, Red Lizard and Afghan Red.
They are all grail in their own way.

I really love this lipstick because it's so buildable, so I can achieve anywhere from a light stain to a fully opaque coverage. Creamy and smooth and comfortable to wear all day !

on 4/11/2012 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I never leave this at home, it is always with me. When applied lightly it is a lovely MLBB color, when applied normally it is a lovely burgundy color. If you put a gloss over it, it is an eye catcher for day and night. I'm cool skinned and this goes with every eye makeup color I use. Also makes your teeth look whiter. I will buy it again and again. Only down side is its cap, you have to be careful when closing, once you get used it, it is not a problem really.

on 3/11/2012 12:38:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

this is my daytime red, can't live w/o it!

while i own a handful of nice bright reds (nars shanghai express, red lizard & mac dubonnet come to mind), afghan red leans more rose so it's a softer look. much more wearable! it's not (quite) as loud. it doesn't require as much precision w/ application (yep sometimes i apply straight from the tube) or that the rest of my makeup/outfit be (as) impeccable. best of all, it's gorgeous on my pasty & sallow skin, really brightens me up.

on 12/26/2011 11:01:00 PM

I first bought and wore Afghan Red 5 years ago and it was in constant use. But like most things in life I put it aside for new adventures. Being a woman of a certain age I have become careful about red lips and while I never gave up on reds I started gravitating towards deep and ful bodied rosy colors a la Chanel. Last week as I was going through a semi annual purge of makeup products I started wondering where my old friend had gone to....could not find it anywhere and suddenly became obsessed with needing a new tube. So off I went and reacquainted myself with this color which I still love and which still loves me. The color is red without being red that appears like a slash across my lips and as others have said it is sort of indescribable but oh so lovely and perfect even in the tube-juicy and sexy. Nars never disappoints and this color is no exception.

on 12/4/2011 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I tried on 7 lipsticks from Nars, and this fitted me perfectly. I cant even describe the tones of this lipstick. Its more like a medium sophisticated red with a very soft cream to it. One swift will do enough justice so you won't be using up your product so quickly. I like wearing this plain, with not liners or gloss. I can do a simple or full face with this lip color. This is probably the best red lipstick I found for anytime of the day for my skin complexion.

Recommended for Medium Skin