December 18, 2014 | 1647 users online

Lipstick - Clinique - Colour Surge Bare Brilliance - Ruby Glass

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Hezmo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Guys, what the heck are we going to do? This lipstick was my HG after having discovered it last year. I was a Cherry Quartz gal (same line) for two years prior, but as my coloring is *just* on the warm side of neutral, I found that this sheer sparkly red is even better than the other (Cherry Quartz is a pinkier, cooler sheer sparkly red... this has a slightly warmer undertone).

And now the entire line is being discontinued! Shucks!

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement for this? I've looked at lots of the major sheer lipstick lines (Clinique Buttershine, Mac Slimshines, and some drugstore stuff like Neutrogena Lipsheers and Revlon Shiny Sheers) and can't find a neutral/warm true sheer red with sparkle! HELP!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 11:51:00 AM More reviews by imnotreallyadoctor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely LOVED this. It just gliiiides on like heaven and stays put all day. It's creamy with just the right amount of shimmer. It also feels really moisturizing and I love rubbing my lips together after I put it on. It only gets a negative from me for the colour, which I thought at first was pretty but it must have been the lighting or something, because now I think it has too many brown tones that are not too flattering. Would definitely get it again, just in a different colour, maybe a bright pink, this time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2008 1:33:00 PM More reviews by ilgs

I love it! I'm basically a Snow White - dark hair, almost-black eyes, very pigmented lips & pale skin. I adore reds, but it's a pain in the derriere to wear them because 1) my waifish look - too much texture or too dark red, and I look either like a girl trying on her mom's makeup or simply vulgar 2) true full coverage red demands a perfectly made up face, and I'm lazy 3) full-out red is high maintenance - nothing looks worse than a half-eaten red lipcolor.

So I stick with sheers, and Ruby Glass is a perfect sheer red. It's a true and clean shade, not too blue, not too warm, kind of like strawberry or red apple. It has a lovely moist sheen with a bit of shimmer. (I know other reviews say there is a lot of shimmer... hmm, maybe it's because I'm used to wearing extra glittery pink gloss).

It's understated and natural looking, so you can wear it with dark eye makeup, and if you share my coloring, it will be almost a MLBB shade for you.
I adore the packaging for this line - it looks like high-tech bamboo.
Glides on easily, lips feel soft & moisturized. The staying power is pretty decent, and color disappears evenly, so it never looks bad, it just soft of fades out.

I also want to add that Clinique lipsticks are basically lipsticks for those who don't like lipsticks. :) Coverage is usually sheer to medium at most. But if you like lip glosses but want something a bit thicker and more pigmented, give them a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2008 10:57:00 AM More reviews by swirlsschmurls

Received this in a swap recently, and when I first tried it out, I was quite disappointed with it...too shimmery, and were there hints of orange that I saw? But I was determined, especially with the good reviews, to give it a chance, and I'm glad I did. Because this is quite sheer, it will pick up on whatever underlying colour you're wearing, and that's what happened with me. Since then, this has become a staple, easy everyday red, that I can wear to any intensity I like. It fades well (very important), and my fears that the leftover glitter would be unsightly proved untrue. It is a little gritty, but the shimmer isn't overpowering at all, it just gives it more dimension. A very, VERY nice red.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2007 3:07:00 PM More reviews by mitulove

I like this, though it's not my favorite bare brilliance color. In fact, I find that more often than not I reach for the similar color in clinique's almost lipstick on days I want a red, as it has a completely smooth look (no glitter).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2007 12:45:00 PM More reviews by MissScarIett

PERFECT! The Best red for someone afraid of reds. Its sheer, not too orangy or pinkish. Its Shimmery and looks good on almost any skin tone. I thought Angel Red was great, but this tops it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2007 5:11:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

This medium irridescent sheer red applies smooth and comfortably and the colour is perfect...not too bright, and on my fair oriental skin it seems like the red just has a presence (i.e. nothing overpowering). Great for those who are shy with red l/s. The texture is great - it has more staying power than the Butter Shines and is less glossy, so that justifies having reds in both textures because they produce different finishes! This colour comes in the traditional Clinique tubes - not as stylish as the Butter Shines, but sturdy and good quality nevertheless. I compare this in colour to Laura Mercier's Courtisane, but rate this above Courtisane because it doesn't have the overbearing fragrance of LM's l/s. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2007 3:22:00 AM More reviews by MarieClaire9

love cliniques lippis very much, this is no exception. nice sheer brilliant color. wonderfull.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2007 3:46:00 AM More reviews by accentcc

Great color for us PPPs. It is very sheer, so it's not overpowering. Plenty glossy without being teenagey looking. I can wear it with jeans or out for the evening. Very versatile! I love the soft texture, even though it doesn't have tons of staying power. I find that any lipstick that lasts a long time makes my lips dry and doesn't look that good anyway! I would rather re-apply. As others have said, this is a true red and a nice change. It is a little like Guava Stain, only shinier. My other favorite Clinique lipsticks are Baby Kiss, Sugared Maple, Beauty, and Sweet Honey. Hope this helps you with color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2006 5:47:00 AM More reviews by maan84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been wanting to try a red lipstick since forever. But since I am a pale blonde I've had trouble finding the perfect red that even I can wear and wear nicely.
After a fellow MUA member recomended Ruby Glass I just had to go out and get it.
I am pleasantly surprised, it is the perfect red lipstick for us who think it's impossible to pull off a red lipstick. It really is the softest red lipstick I have ever seen. That's why it's so easy to wear.
First of all, Ruby Glass is very sheer and very glossy. It is very moisturizing, it almost feels like a lip balm, it's amazing. Furthermore, it has subtle gold shimmer and tiny glitter in it. It does not in any way scream "glitter". It is so subtle so it is hardly noticeable.
I agree with other reviewers, you can even apply this lipstick without a mirror. That's how sheer it is. I'd say it has decent staying power for a lipstick. Since it's easy to wear and very easy to re-apply I really don't mind the not perfect staying power.
Like the other Clinique lipsticks I have tried, it has no scent or taste whatsoever. Reasonable price for a nice quality lipstick.
I must say that I prefer the packaging of the Butter Shine lipsticks in comparison with the Color Surge Bare Brilliance ones. But, after having found a great, wearable red lipstick (finally!!) I don't really care much about how the packaging looks.
I'd definitely repurchase this lovely lipstick!