December 19, 2014 | 645 users online

Polishes - Quo - Nail Polish

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2014 3:26:00 PM More reviews by shanhal

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love these polishes! I have a set with 20 mini's and four full sized ones. The brush tapered so it's so easy to brush on. They dry quickly, don't bubble or pool. And they last about six days on me. Highly recommend if you can get your paws on them!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by SpanishSmileyFace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got an 18 piece mini nail polish gift set from Shoppers Drug Mart on clearance for $10 (originally $40!!) so I was very pleased to try out these slightly more expensive nail polishes at a cheaper price.
The back says that the set contains a mixture of creme, shimmer, and sheer polishes though it doesn't state exactly which polishes belong to each formula or group. It also says to always start with a base coat, apply 2 coats of nail colour, and to always finish with a top coat.
Unfortunently the colour names come on the box but not on the bottom of the actual polishes. I wrote the names on reinforcement stickers (for when the holes on holepunched paper rips) and they fit perfectly on the bottom. I do like the colours but some look a little different once on nails. I do love the packaging as well as the brush.
The 18 colours & brief description of each:
ILLUMINATED AQUA- a shimmery sea blue or celeste type of colour.
SPARKLER - a dark blue marine colour but not sparkly despite it's name.
TRASH GLAM - very fine green and gold shimmers in sheer green nail polish
FALLING STAR - very fine silver glitter that reflects rainbow colours but mostly just clear polish once applied
WRONG SO RIGHT - one of those chrome colour nail polishes that looks different depending on the angle you're seeing it at. The colour looks purple and gold in the bottle but on the nail looks like a sheer green/blue colour with fine gold shimmers and purple undertones.
SUGAR COOKIE - looks like your typical pink for a french manicure except with small silver glitters. The pink comes off very sheer and even with 3 coats you mostly get just the glitter and less colour.
FILTHY RICH - has the most colour payoff of all 18 colours!! It's a beautiful shimmery/metallic gold (more on the silver side than the yellow side) You can honestly get away with 1 sheer coat of this colour when it comes to colour because it's so opaque!!
TRUST FUND - a shimmery deep almost berry red. Perfect for the transition between fall and the beginning of Christmas season!
CANDY CANE - has a glossy look that kind of reminds you of candy!! It's a red almost hot pink type of colour but not shimmery whatsoever.
BERRY COBBLER - a dark berry colour that's kind of vampy! Perfect for fall!
RSVP - a creamy light purple/pink colour with dark purple undertones.
GOLD RUSH SPARKLE - tiny gold sparkle strips with very fine silver glitter. You do get quite a lot in 2 coats.
VELVET RUST - I don't feel like the velvet part suits the name because it's a shimmery/metallic copper colour. Very opaque in 2 coats.
VERY VIXEN - similar to berry cobbler but darker and more on the purple side. Looks like an almost-black-purple in the bottle. Opaque in 2 coats.
KALEIDOSCOPE HAZE - looks like a multi-purple glitter colour in the bottle but does not look like that on the nails. Instead it comes out as many small black circles and some silver ones. The clear polish that keeps the glitter together has a slight purple sheen/undertone that is A LOT more visible in the bottle.
SAILORS BLUE - a dark ocean blue that reminds you of the ocean at night. It has sheer purple undertones that are more visible in the bottle and not that visible on your nails.
GET NOTICED - your typical small silver glitter. You get lots in 2 coats.
PURPLE PASSION - a very opaque dark purple with a slight sheen to it.

OVERALL:
I have swatched all colours on white paper but haven't tried them all on my nails. I will update on each colour description/appearance, and whether or not it's opaque in 2 coats after I use them on my nails. I always use topcoat on nail polish so I can't really judge it's durability unless it exceeds 5 days chip free.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by forestine

I bought "Infinity and Beyond" last week and was all excited for some festive nails.

It was so thick and goopy that it was basically unusable. In the bottle it was glitter suspended in a light blue base, but on barely any of the glitter showed up. It was almost impossible to get it to look smooth on my nails and I gave up and took it off. I won't be using it again. It was also pretty expensive, so I am really disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Zekina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My cousin gave me a bottle of Filthy Rich - a nice silvery-gold metallic.
I had never tried this brand before and I was very impressed by this nail polish.

Packaging : narrow brush that spreads well, nice grip
Polish : applies in nice opaque and thin coats, dries really quickly, quite longwear

I would totally recommend this polish, at least in the color that I have! I had many compliments on this one :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by idkhelpme

Fast drying, awesome brush and good selection of colors. I've never tried Orly products before but I guess I'll need to now! Only bad thing is the price, $10 at Shoppers but get it on sale and it'll be okay. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

* A review for the Quo by Orly line, as other seem to be posting them here instead of making a new category.

Product's Claims: True or False?
1) Fast drying: True
2) Long lasting: True
3) High gloss: True

Packaging:
The polishes in the line mimic the general design of ORLY polishes. They have a long black rubberized handle with a slight inward curvature. The bottles are clear glass with four distinct edges - these and their corners are rounded off - and there is a bit of roundness to each of the sides. These design features make the bottles very comfortable to hold in my hand while opening and the opening of the bottles is very easy overall. Each polish is labelled with a sticker on the bottom for the colour, and there's a large white Q stamped on the top of the cap. Where the packaging lacks a bit is in the brush. It works well for me but the brush overall does look a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the design as the bristles are not cut evenly (some bottles are more pronounced than others in this, but they all seem to have that same unevenness). This doesn't seem to affect application for me. The brush used is long and slender, but I feel like it's just slightly too slender for its length and could benefit from a bit of added width, but overall I have no significant issues with the brush with these polishes.

Formula:
I would estimate that I've purchased and tried nearly half of the currently available polishes in the line and I've been happy with all of them. A few are a bit iffy in the formula but they all produce results I am happy with. I have (and will) reviewed the polishes I currently own and so info on the formula for specific shades can be found in those reviews. The line has a nice mix of colours as well as finishes - creams, metallics, shimmers, glitters, and a few jellies (I'd say that Green Meadows, mentioned below, could be considered a cross between a cream and a jelly, and with two coats it's 95% opaque, 100% opaque with three). They are also introducing gels, but I've never tried those (from any brand) so I can't really give any thoughts on thsoe. I'm sure many of these are rehashes from the ORLY line itself but Sally's locations aren't as numerous or easy to access as Shoppers locations, so I'm fine with buying the Canadian offspring even if its colours aren't completely unique. Most of the polishes have a thinner consistency that makes spreading easy, and most are opaque in two coats.

Performance:
Aside from a few somewhat iffy bottles the polishes perform very nicely. As mentioned they go on opaque fairly easily and they also spread nicely. I only thinned out two upon purchase, and one was likely only in need of thinning out because it has been used as a tester by others (as evident by a crusty layer around the opening when I opened it at home). Even the somewhat trickier ones I've tried still produce an end result that looks smooth and even, only the more metallics tend to go on a bit brush-strokey. All dry down glossy and retain the gloss well. Wear seems about the same as other brands for me, I usually get 4-7 days of wear without chips and only minor tip wear (unless application error on my part or damaged nails).

Bang for your Buck:
14ml/0.48 oz for $10.00CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart, and sometimes they will be on sale for about &8CAD. This is definitely a pricier offering, although most who shop at Shoppers will know that Shopper's brands are often on the pricier side compared to other drug stores. Seems to be similar in price and product amount as brands such as OPI, so it's definitely not a big splurge.

Final Thoughts:
Overall Quo by Orly is turning out to be one of my favourite polish brands, and I am eager to give the parent brand a try. Aside from a somewhat lackluster brush it excels in the other areas, of course with a few polishes here and there that aren't as great as the others, but all are very workable and produce a great finish. Definitely recommended, and hopefully they will extend the colour range further and include some of the seasonal colours as permanent additions.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2012 5:01:00 AM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Got a package of 18 mini-size bottles of Quo polish for $42 at SDM. So far my favorite colors are Purple Daydream (neon cool pink with sheen--so bright and fun), Love Game (burgundy with blue-purple metallic sheen), and Cream Pop (bright coral red creme). Any of these would be great toenail colors. I also like the Steel Heart, a dark metallic grey that's perfect for a darker fingertip polish that I can wear with my ultra-pale skin without looking Goth.

The 18-pack is a good mix of cream, metallic (subtle to frosty), and drab colors. My only complaint is there are no true purples, only a few with purple tones. The set also includes a matte white and a clear pink for French manicures. There aren't a lot of

Worst color is Green Meadow (a transparent teal - barely shows even against my ultra-pale skin tone). It's the only true "dud" in the pack.

Wear: Used these polishes on my toes all summer and they wore well without any base or topcoat, lasting 5-7 days with no chipping, and 2-3 weeks with minor touch-ups. The wear is comparable to Opi polishes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by AROMAA

am reviewing Que by orly in the color (filthy rich)..

love this nail polish first cause of the gorgeous goldy color,, second for the impressive pigmentation (one coat is all u need!!!!)

the price also is not that bad,, love que and love orly!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2011 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Kyasorin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently tried one of the new Quo by Orly polishes released in Canada in the colour "First Class".

I have been wanting Orly's "Rage" for the longest time but the brand is not easily accessible in Canada so I was really excited to see this collaboration.

There are 5 colours out at the moment (fall collection?) and apparently they are dupes (if not exact duplicates) of colours in the regular Orly line - from online swatches I'm pretty sure that First Class is the same as Rage! If you look closely it looks like tiny microglitters but it is totally smooth on your nails and easy to remove (unlike actual glitter polish) and just looks like a metallic polish.

The price tag is a bit high at $10 but I have looked at every possible nail polish brand and been unable to find a good dupe for Rage.

I put on 2 coats and have had it on for 5 days with no chipping, it is only beginning to fade at my fingertips and near the cuticle. LOVE this colour but probably would not buy anymore unless I find something else that is unique (because of the high price for 14 mL) - the other colours are beautiful though.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by xyoru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I'm only rating this in the colour in "Bliss", it was part of Quo's couture collection.
I found it very sheer and it took me about 3, maybe 4 on some fingers, coats to make it completely opaque. It also applied a streaky for me and a lasting power is decent.
For the price I paid ($5), it's not bad. I don't know if I would buy it at full price though.