September 2, 2014 | 1249 users online

Shampoo - Aubrey Organics - J.A.Y. Desert Herb Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by BrownSugar91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After hearing great reviews about this product, i thought i'd give it a go. Although the price wasn't too attractive it said that it "quenches your hair's thirst as it cleanses with hardy, moisture-rich desert herbals." Let me tell you now, it does nothing it says on the bottle. My hair felt drier after i shampooed, and my scalp became itchy. Also, it doesn't smell brilliant.

Overall, a huge disappointment. I kept using it in the hope the condition of my damaged hair would improve (plus i paid a lot for it), but nothing changed. Don't waste your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2010 1:49:00 PM More reviews by rikasmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Umm, does this shampoo even do anything? I couldn't tell.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by coolcardboard

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is AWESOME.

So, I was running out of my usual shampoo, and decided to go to the store to pick up some more. While I was there, I saw this Aubrey Organics shampoo for Dry and Damaged hair. My hair is usually pretty normal, but because I live in Upstate New York, our winters are really cold and dry. My hair had been getting really dull and static-y, so I decided to try this out.

When I first opened the bottle, the smell was TERRIBLE. Seriously, I did not want to put this into my hair because I was afraid that the scent would last. Well, let me tell you, out of the bottle and lathered on, this shampoo has pretty much NO SMELL. It is a nice light fragrance, and after you wash it out, your hair just smells clean. I was very very pleased by that...so please do not be fooled by what it smells like in the bottle!

This shampoo made my hair wonderfully smooth and shiny, and I've been noticing that my hair is MUCH less static-y only after a few washes! Not to mention the fact that this is 100% natural (I even researched all the ingredients). Some people say this dries your hair out, but I completely disagree! It's been working really well for me! The price is pretty cheap, and one bottle will last you a pretty long time (lasted me about 1.5 months!)

I would DEFINITELY recommend this shampoo to anyone who is looking for something that is all natural, fairly unscented, and nourishing! Try it out!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by hairfitness

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really liked this shampoo. I was looking for an alternative to the honeysuckle rose because I got tired of the smell and thought this was even more moisturizing than the HSR was. I like the scent, it's very clean and fresh scented. And I used this with the Camomile conditioner and my results were wonderful. Smooth, and shiny. JAY is pricey but you have to realize the quality of this shampoo. This isn't like so many others that claim to be good for you and yet only have say 70% organics in them. So what's the other 30%? No thank you. AO is worth every penny and the only thing that doesn't make me break out in welts from an allergic reaction and doesn't give me dandruff.

I think your results depend on your hair type because I noticed some that did not like this, like the GPB which I absolutely hated. That made my hair like straw. FYI, usually the healthfood store has samples of these so before you spend your hard earned dollars, ask first if they have samples.

I still use the JAY but I've since trying the Blue Camomile conditioner, I just bought the matching shampoo. Which if it's as good as the conditioner, will be my HG!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 4:45:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of my least favorite of the Aubrey Organics shampoos that I have tried so far (green tea, GPB protein & blue camomile are the other ones that I have tried). I was hoping for something that would leave my hair as clean and shiny as the green tea and GPB protein ones do, but that doesn't leave my hair as tangled. This one is thicker than the other two, and the lather is just okay, but I have better luck on the second sudsing. It does leave a bit of a coating on my hair that I find hard to rinse off, and my hair isn't quite as clean and shiny as with the others. The smell to me is a light, mild, herbal-lemon scent, which makes sense because it does have lemon oil pretty high up on the ingredients list. Not my favorite, and I probably would not buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by kawright

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As other reviewers have mentioned, this shampoo is pretty drying, and my hair felt pretty stripped of moisture after using it. However, it does get your hair just as clean as any sulfate shampoo, so if you have oily hair and you're looking for a good sulfate-free natural shampoo, this one could be for you. The smell was also pretty bad, sort of fishy and herbally at the same time. Not something I wanted to walk around all day smelling like. The only reason this shampoo is getting two lippies rather than one is that it made my hair super shiny whenever I used it. I'm talking ridiculous, Pantene commercial shiny. Overall, not worth the smell and the dry hair it left me with though. I might try another shampoo in the Aubrey line in the future, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2009 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Atrox

I agree with the other reviewers, not great as a shampoo- left my hair very dry. But on a whim, I tried it as a shaving cream and loved it. I've always had trouble with bumps and irritation after shaving, but not with this shampoo. I have kept buying it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2008 12:44:00 AM More reviews by Chulisima

I have 4a type hair that I relax regularly. I tried this once. I found that it lathered very well (not sure what the other reviewers were complaining about). It did a great job at cleaning my hair & scalp. My hair was squeaky clean & fresh after using it. Problem is; this product is for dry/damaged hair but it left my hair very dry & tangled. I had to pile on lots of conditioner to get it silky, soft & tangle-free(I used Nubian heritage shea butter conditioner which is great).
I'm gonna exchange this product for the Island Naturals one since that has shea butter in it. My dry hair loves shea butter products.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 9:29:00 AM More reviews by lmccoy24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG shampoo. I have wavy to slightly curly hair (2c to 3a), and I do my best to follow a CG regimen (no silicones, no shampoo), but find that my hair just doesn't respond to conditioner washing... It gets weighed down and greasy after one day of not washing, so I wash every morning. So, I was constantly on the hunt for a shampoo that cleansed but didn't strip, and I feel as though I have found it! I deducted one lippie from the review because it is a bit awkward to use. It has no real surfactants in it, so it does not lather very well unless you use a bit more shampoo than you would usually use with conventional shampoos, and I find that making sure my hair is SUPER wet helps. So, it is a bit more work than usual SLS-ish shampoos, but the results are great! My hair never feels stripped and always feels soft and non-frizzy. I use it with the Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose conditioner daily, the GPB conditioner bi-weekly as a treatment, and then style with Aubrey's Ginkgo Jelly and B-5 Gel. As you can tell, I am Aubrey's all the way, but am really happy with the naturalness and performance of this whole line!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by criss720

I'm still searching for a great natural shampoo free of sulfates and harmful hair chemicals. This shampoo made my hair look great for literally ten minutes post-wash. After that, it became a heavy, thick, sticky mess. It looked like I hadn't washed my hair in two weeks. It took forever to air dry, and blowdrying it only made it look filthier faster. Disgusting. It smelled like crap, too!