August 21, 2014 | 1972 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Triple Strong

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have very thin, soft nails and I thought this would help them get stronger but unfortunately it didn't. Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength Hardener works infinitely better than this to make my nails harder. Maybe Triple Strong strengthens the nails long-term but I didn't notice improvement, although it might work better on different nail types/problems.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by snoopy126

This treatment saved my nails during the polar vortex. I really wish I had before and after pics to show you. The combination of a harsh winter and regular dish washing and cuticle biting took such a toll on my nails that they were splitting and showing ridges. I was pretty desperate because I used to bite my nails to stumps and they were so bad again that I was considering having gels put on but the sides of my nails were in such terrible shape the nail tech said she'd have to use tips too. (I wore acrylics for almost a year and a half the first time I tried to break my nail biting habit.) I didn't want to commit to that much upkeep this time so off to the store I went. I bought this product and a month later I have my beautiful nails back. I wash my hands a lot and this 'gel' formula keeps water from penetrating and thus weakening the nail. It does get a bit tacky and takes time to dry but it really does protect the nails unlike other SH strengtheners I've tried in the past. Note, I only used it alone, single coat, and not with Polish on top. As I noticed it wearing off I'd just add another coat without even removing the previous one (I was lazy). And it still performed. It's not the smoothest formula as others have noted but I will stick with this product because it gave me my nails back.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Bee82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This triple strong product is very thick I used it as a top coat and my nail polish chipped the very same day maybe I applied it to thick!?!? it is super shiny though but that's all the good things I can say about it which is sad as I love all sally hansen products I might have another try and see what happens This time hopefully if I use a good nail polish and this as a top coat it won't chip.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 8:43:00 AM More reviews by radlegend

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've read some of these reviews and find it fascinating how it works so well for some and not at all for others.

I'm one of the fortunate ones.
I've had good and bad times with my nails. They grow pretty quick - but break just as fast. My nails peel, crack and chip ALWAYS so I've always used some kind of treatment as a base coat.

Sally Hansen Miracle Cure was my life-saver a million times until very recently - it's just stopped working for me.

So i went to the drug store - saw this was a cheaper price - and i was intrigued by the "gel" look so thought to give it a try.

I am not disappointed yet.

A month in of constant use (i follow directions - so i apply 2 coats, some color a top coat and usually apply every 3rd day or until i change my nail color.

My nails haven't felt so strong since the first time I used Miracle Cure. When i remove everything I notice that it DOESN'T REPAIR EXISTING damage (like my peeling) but my nails are growing out fast enough for me to file/cut the damage away little by little.

I expect to have 100% perfect nails in a few weeks - but I probably won't stop using this.
As soon as my mani is due for a re-do - my nails start their normal chipping. So if you want to use this - be consistent!!

The brush is a little small and thickness is hard to get used to but love how my nails feel.

I am worried though about the drying up and gooeyness other reviewers are talking about. SO...i just hope it won't annoy me too much.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 10:12:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I stopped using this b/c it bubbles like mad. It also thickens in the bottle far sooner than it ever should, just like Seche Vite. Takes forever to dry & any fast-dry topcoat I apply over it cannot prevent that nasty bubbling. I love thick gel formulas & hoped this would work out (SH Powerful Acrylic Gel fails miserably too), but I regret wasting $8 full price on this. I consider that expensive for a drugstore product. Nails Inc Gel Effect topcoat wasn't any better & cost even more. The only thing I've found so far that gives me that thick, shiny, cushioned gel look w/o bubbling, peeling, or shrinking is Dior Gel Coat - super expensive but worth it. Too bad SH didn't work out.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by winghearted

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Theres just something I love about a fresh manicure, and this base/top coat amplified that for me.
Okay, so I really really adore this polish. I always have it on, either by itself or paired with one of my favourite colours. I find that it really does harden my nails significantly; although my nails grow fast, they are rather weak and prone to breaking. I get painful hangnails. So on a whim, I was at the drugstore and I saw this stuff...decided why not, I'll give it a try!
Seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made.
I find the formula a bit thick, and if you apply too much you'll have a mess on your hands...but apply it evenly and it will dry quickly with a beautiful shine. My nails LOOK thicker, which is what I'm aiming for. I think that gel manicures are so pretty, but I absolutely hate the feeling of fake nails. This helps me achieve that look quickly!
What I like about this product is there is very little gunky-ness, which is a problem I sometimes have with base coats.
I usually apply two coats, just because, but I think even one coat will suffice for anyone with weak nails.
When I pair this with other polish, I apply two coats of this as a base, let it dry completely, add my other polish, and then top it off with another coat of this. I find it makes my manicure last a few more days without chipping compared to basecoats I've tried in the past.
I'll definitely keep buying this stuff, already onto my second tube :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by yliang26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is an excellent product to be used as a base coat and top coat. The consistency of the "gel" formula does take a little getting used to but the result is a very smooth and glistening finish. because it is so "thick", the gel like liquid envelops the surface and evens out and fills in any imperfections. When used as a top coat it provides great protection against scratches and looks as fresh as a new manicure. I use it on top of my red Essie polish and the firey shine is incredible! It is important to note however that I'm only able to get full week non-chip wear with this top coat when the bottom layers have been well applied and THOROUGHLY DRIED. I know others may not have the patience but I typically let each layer of my polish dry at least 1/2 a day. when each layer is completely dry, you have no chance of any wet polish moving/getting affected once you put the next coat on. No quick drying top coat is going to help protect the wet stuff under neath if it's still semi unset. It will help the top layer dry faster, but the lower layers are still at risk. you will still get chips and the lifting that is so common with thick layers of polish. So make sure you give your bottom coats, including base coat, LOTS of time to dry. Rushing on to next coats will only increase chance of damage later.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by Linhxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I recently bought this because it was on sale at my local chemist (15.95 AUD) and i have to admit that it was very good! my nails felt instantly stronger, and it was shiny! BUT the good comments stop there. On the second day, i started to realize that the polish was peeling off ( I was wearing it by itself) i could peel the whole thing off, and I'm pretty sure that makes your nails thinner. Maybe i applied it to thickly, but I'm really disappointed. I love Sally Hansen products, but I do not recommend :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by alvirgo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best base/top coat I have found and makes having longer-than-fingertip length nails possible in Northeastern winters. Putting two coats on under my polish "ridge fills" and leaves a glassy, gel-like surface over which even the streakiest polishes apply rather evenly. Mind, it doesn't dry [to the point of not bubbling] very quickly when you put two coats on, so I recommend waiting til later in the day to put colour over top this. When I use only one coat as a base, Triple Strong dries quickly and tames my peeling tips for at least three days. I don't experience chipping with this product except where the nail itself has been compromised at the tip--there, after a few days, it's prone to bending and thus chipping a bit. Triple Strong also works well as a very sturdy topcoat, though it is not particularly fast drying.
Despite performing better in the non-winter months, it's absolutely the best product I've found to mitigate the winter condition of my nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by goldandrubies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best product on the market for nail strength. Period. It is a gel nail polish that makes your nails virtually unbreakable. It is kind of expensive over time because it gets way too thick before the bottle is gone. I usually have to get a new bottle at the halfway point. Use this everyday and you can grow your nails as long as you want.

Here's a tip: add a little bit of your favorite diamond strength polish into the triple strong bottle. It takes on the color of your nail polish! This makes it so you don't have to use a base coat, 2 coats of color, and a top coat. The triple strong replaces all three. You're welcome.