October 25, 2014 | 1235 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF 33 PA++

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I used to use Shiseido Ultimate sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 until it was discontinued. I have pretty bad melasma, and have found that a physical sunscreen is more effective at keeping it under control, especially during the summer months when I can't stay away from the beach. In search of a replacement, I avidly read all the reviews of similar Shisiedo facial sunscreens. I chose this one because it offered the most product for the buck compared to the "Urban Environment" options which were twice the price.

I have been using this for a month of summer sun exposure, and despite having lower percentage of sunscreen than the old SPF 55, the results have been good. I actually prefer the formulation of this - it's a thin, liquidy sunscreen (like a milk) that goes on much easier than the SPF 55 (which was more like a traditional sunscreen). You shake it up to mix, and there's a little metal ball in the bottle. I also like the color and style of the bottle. The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the flip-top does not lock securely -- it could easily come open in a beach bag, unlike the old 55 which satisfyingly clicked firmly shut.

The one *physical* aspect of this sunscreen that I don't like is that it makes my face feel sticky--not in an uncomfortable/pore-clogging/gummy way, but just that, if I happen to touch my face, either with the sunscreen alone, or with sunscreen and foundation on, it feels "sticky" to the touch. This is not ideal, but considering this works, costs less than what I used to use for nearly twice the product, and smells yummy/beachy, I'll live with the stickiness.

EDIT: Been using this over 2 months now and I love it! Good protection and no breakouts. Would up it to a 5 lippies, but the site is not letting me for some reason.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by MissHippo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy using this product.

Likes: Lightweight, low key fragrance, slightly fills in pores, controls my very oily skin, no stinging or reaction from my sensitive skin, dries into semi-matte finish, spreads easily, spf 38 good for everyday wear.

Dislike: Quite pricey for a 2.2 fl oz sunscreen.

Update: it's been more than a year and I still am using/loving this sunscreen. I use it about 4-5 days of the week and about a little less than a quarter sized amount. I still have many uses left and will purchase another when I run out. For amount I payed, I think this product is well worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by jujubeeb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

AHhh I love this sunscreen!!! I have a million billion freckles, and in the summer they get so dark that I look like a dalmation. It's not cool. Thankfully I found this sunscreen and since then I have not gotten any burns or freckles horray!!! Unlike most sunscreens, this is very watery and does not feel heavy, even if you reapply it later on. I hate smelling like ss too and this has hardly any smell. I like this one more than the SPF 60 version, as it has less alcohol and is less drying. I have combo skin and this ss is the business. I use it under my foundation or alone, either way it is awesome :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2012 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Jochua83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall good product. On application leaves a slight white cast but it sinks in after about 2 to 3 minutes. It leaves a matte finish, but i still have to put a loose powder over it to prevent my T zone from getting oily mid-afternoon. I have oily/combination skin and live in a hot and humid climate so the lightweight feeling of this sunscreen is perfect. Only problem is that its quite runny so you have to work carefully and not get drops of it all over your counter!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by ALStephens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my daily face sunblock, and I have been using it for years. It is smooth, light, doesn't make me oily, and doesn't cause breakouts. Most importantly, I don't burn or tan when I use it. For my needs, this product is as close to perfect as it gets.

I tend to be frugal, so I'm a little annoyed at the price. But sometimes quality warrants the price, and that is certainly the case here. Until I find something that performs as well (and does not break out my temperamental skin), I'll continue to purchase.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Taizk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I am still on the fence about this product, have to use it a little longer, but my first impressions are:
I have pretty oily T-zone and hate to have to use sunscreen ...
I thought this lotion would be thinner and lighter from what I've heard, so I was a little bit dissapointed when I first tried. It has a pleasant subtle smell, it is not thick but not too runny either, it does a leave a white cast that fades after a while.
I feel protected using it, but my main problem is that it leaves my face with that feeling of sunscreen on your face, I can visually see the pores of my nose clooged with this lotion and it is really hard to remove it at the end of the day.
I would recommend to wear it when you hit the beach or something, but for me to wear it every day, too heavy ...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 12:10:00 PM More reviews by yulduzm

Nice smell, easy application because it's quite liquid. Does leave a little white residue if you put on too much. But also sort of gives you a matt, brighter complexion. Lasts fairly long.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by dragonfly16

Great sunscreen - very light & doesn't feel sticky like most other suncreen that i've used. And the scent is much more pleasant. It goes on sheer & matte which i love, bc i already have oily skin & definitely do not need to add anymore grease to my face. I normally put on a serum or a cream on face to provide more moisture & put this sun screen on top. I've gone hiking all day, in southern california, with this sunscreen applied only once in the morning & no burns or redness afterwards, so i know the protection is pretty high. Love it - just wish the price tag could've been a bit lower.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Jenstarlast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

So far this is the best sunscreen for the face I have ever used. Forget drugstore. My skin gets irritated from drugstore sunscreens, it makes my skin burn. This does not irritate me and it goes well under makeup. Very runny and easy to spread. Fantastic!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:45:00 PM More reviews by jlualwayyz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When i first bought this i really loved it however it always broke me out whenever i used it. But after trying using this again with my new skin care regimen i don't worry about breakout anymore because I now i double cleanse. I realized that since this stuff is really strong you definitely need to double cleanse your skin in order to completely remove all the sunscreen. Cleansing your face once won't remove all of it which will lead to breakout.
When i first apply this on my face it looks quiet oily, but after about three minutes it absorbs or dries on my skin leaving a matt face which is wonderful. I will repurchase