July 31, 2014 | 1463 users online

Self Tanners - Neutrogena - Build A Tan

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 7:46:00 AM More reviews by Tashy1212

I can see how for some this would be a miss, but for my medium olive complexion, this product does exactly what I expected it to and I've been pleased with it. It will by no means give you a dark tan, but it's great for in between "real" self tanningsessions as a way to maintain whatever color I have that's either fading or beginning to fade. Because I am naturally olive toned I've never had an issue with this turning me orange. Plus it has never streaked or become blotchy on me. Not once. That deserves some praise because uneven fading is a big issue with other brands I've tried.

Don't use this expecting dramatic results. It's slightly buildable, but not much. Atleast not on my skin tone. If you are more fair you might find this delivers darker color but the difference on my skin is not extremely noticeable, it just adds a touch of glow and color to my skin when I feel I need it and don't wanna take the extra time and effort to full on apply a mousse or spray. Because it is a lotion it's very easy to blend despite there being no color guard.

I rate this a 4/5. For what it is I think it's a solid product. The pump makes it convenient, gives light natural color and fades evenly. I would give this a 5 if the color came off just a bit deeper.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by StephHayes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product gets a lot of harsh reviews, but I don't think it's as bad as some of them say.

Now, I know the smell isn't the greatest. And as with all gradual self tanners, it sucks having to put it on every day or two (especially if you're using it for your whole body).

But I actually really like the color Build A Tan gives me. It's a light to medium shade that looks very natural.

If it smelled better and lasted longer, I'd probably use this one all the time.

But as it is, I'd only use it occasionally for my legs or something like that!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 10:48:00 AM More reviews by gretchenbarreto

So easy to apply. Results in as fast as half an hour. Beautifully golden on fair-medium Asian skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you want to look orange then wear this! It's so streaky and in the sun it looks incredibly fake and unnatural. DO NOT recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Horsegirl97

I paid around $10 for this product and I was ultimately disappointed! It smells horrible, typical tanner smell, yet still worse. It did give me immediate color after about a day and kind of lasts after a shower.... but it leaves streaks everywhere and is super oily! If you have any type of skin, I don't recommend this product for you haha
I exfoliated and moisturized and then applied this and it still streaked horribly. It will stain clothing! I really just want to throw it out, but I hate wasting! I'm pretty sure there are other self tanners out there cheaper than $10 that will do the trick... with out the streaks and down right awful smell. I will never repurchase this item.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by loveydove

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

For an inexpensive self-tanner, Neutrogena's Build-a-Tan is pretty good. Canada has discontinued Build-a-Tan for some reason (boo hoo). I'm not fond of the scent but it's not offensive compared to some other brands. Like with all self-tanners, I'd really recommend that you make sure you spread the lotion on evenly because you do get streaks if you don't. I tend to reapply every 2-3 days to maintain the colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 10:46:00 AM More reviews by JennyLynneM

Let me start off by saying, I've been a member of a tanning salon since I was 14. I have tried every tanning method there is known to man. Unfortuntely, there is no taming salon near my college so I need to use a drug store product if I want to achieve a tan. Before I went to a tanning salon, I used Loreal, Jergans, Bananana Boat, Sally Hansen, even the Neutrogena Micro Mist... Out of every product I've ever used, I have like this the best and let me tell you why.

Color: The color is a gorgeous tan that looks very believable. What I like about this product is it goes on like a lotion, so you can see where you need to blend. Make sure you blend the product in completely before moving on to the next section of your body.

Smell: I've always laughed when people make note of the smell. You shouldnt be wearing a self tanner during the day to begin with so smell really should not matter. However, if you must know...the smell reminds me of Dove rose. It's very pleasent and I actually would love to have a lotion that scent.

Price: The price ranges from place to place but I purchased mine for about $9. It's cheap on a scale of a tanning salon but kind of extensive for a drug store tanning product. Especially considering the size of the bottle.

Tips: With any self tanner, you should apply it over night. Sunless tanners in general react to body heat which is greatly produced while you are sleeping. You will get the deepest tan possible by applying it before you go to bed.

Experience: Day 1- I applied this during the day in need of a tan for later that day. I was disappointed that I received no color.
Day 2- I applied over night and I was impressed. I didn't apply evenly thinking that it would hardly give me a color...boy was I wrong.
Day 3- A week later I applied this product again, this time evening and thickly. I was blessed with this beautiful medium bronze tan. I can't wait to apply this tonight to get a darker tan.

Go ahead and click yes on whether or not this was usefule...you know it was.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 2:23:00 PM More reviews by kyliedorcy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this for two days and already I have a natural looking tan. The only problem I had was that I had some splotches on my back and stomach, but that's probably because I didn't wait for it to dry before putting on a shirt. I really like it and it didn't make me look orange at all. I would recommend this self tanner, it's nice quality and it gives you a natural glow.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by CyndiK

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it. It's inexpensive, low to no smell, the color builds pretty fast, and it's a good consistency for easy blending, so you can put it on quickly and still evenly. Very natural looking, yet can get suprisingly dark too; it's nice to have that option, but everyday application would be far too much for me. I apply all over quickly and lightly about every third day. The bottle lasted a couple of months.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Nerds99

I like this stuff! I sometimes use it in conjunction with the Micro Mist when I want a deeper tan, but the lotion works well on its own as well. I actually like the smell of this lotion, it reminds me of the original Olay body wash scent (clean and soapy). It's rich, creamy, and very moisturizing, which is always good with a self tanner (otherwise, any tiny bit of dry skin will be MAGNIFIED when your tan develops, as I've learned the hard way with other brands). As with ALL self-tanners on Earth, you need to apply it carefully to avoid streaks and uneven color. The Micro Mist is good for getting your back, the tops of your feet (I use a little lotion there, too, carefully avoiding toes) and the back of your hands. Altogether, I'm a happy camper and will continue to buy this lotion :)