April 19, 2014 | 1751 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - LUSH - LUSH - Whole Store

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Walko

I don't understand this company at all.I really don't .Natural, don't make me laugh.Natural doesn't always mean good.. The word"natural"is so misleading There is nothing natural about "irritants" and that's what your putting on your skin when using their products.Everything is infused with essential oils and perfumes.These are irritants and will dry out your skin..Eucalyptus oil which pops up time and time again is one of the most irritating fragrant oils there is.Camphor is another irritant, lavender oil,sage, juniper, lime oil, rose oils,really the list is endless.These ingredients serve no purpose to the skin whatsoever.Just about everything contains at least one potent irritant.Even one of their moisturisers is recommended to be used as a fragrance.I mean have you ever heard the likes!!I I tried the coalface soap. This contains amongst other irritants real coal powder.I mean what's that all about?That was binned after the first use!There toners I would never use.I smelt one of them in the shop and near knocked myself out with the smell.You'd be as well using your perfume because in a lot of cases that's what they are.There are no sunscreens in any of their products and the company dosen't recommend them.That's the basis of skincare,and that's not dawned on them yet..And this company knows nothing about looking after your skin.It's just irritants dressed up as skincare.As for the staff, they're trained to sell this nonsense, surely even they don't believe it.Sorry if this review has offended any of you lush lovers ,all companies have good and bad but I can't think of a single good thing about this lot.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2014 2:45:00 AM More reviews by jaya22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the minimal packaging...HOWEVER.... safe synthetics? What a joke, so drying to your skin and so overfragranced with synthetic fragrances. Instant headache. Go read about what these can do to your endocrine/reproductive system. If I were going to have babies I wouldn't go within a mile of any Lush shop. Ok it's a rinse off product, but the effects are cumulative in the long term, especially if you soak in a bath with this stuff. Your skin takes it all straight through to the bloodstream.

And then the prices. Get Real. I was so disappointed with the overpriced stinky garbage from Lush and The Body Shop, that I have actually started to make my own cold process soaps. For one large haul's price at Lush, I can buy raw ingredients like unrefined shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, clays etc etc, to make enough soap, lotion bars, face masks, body lotions, and scrubs for a year. And enough to gift my friends and family. I have total control, and don't put in any synthetics or dubious colourants etc etc. I use minimal amounts of essential oils, and thus don't dry out my skin, like Lush products do.

And then the staff... nice people taught to be pushy monsters by this company.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by SugarPoppy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lush makes both me and my skin happy.
It works.
It does all that it says it will do.
No animal testing.
Fair trade policy.

That's basically all I need :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 7:58:00 PM More reviews by elat33179

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overpriced, over stinky crap.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

I have a love and hate relationship with this store. I was a hard core Lushie for years starting in the early 2000s. Slowly the store 's product prices increased, product amount became smaller, and I began to look elsewhere. I still have my favorites, but I do not frequent the store as I used to which makes me sad. I am more happy to browse my local Wholefoods or health food store for my beauty needs.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Dengail

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, lots of bad reviews. Well not me! I have had eczema on my hand for 28 years...nothing has helped. I've been to doctors, tried so much product, lotion, prescriptions, it's not even funny. I even tried Dream Cream by Lush a couple years ago. Well, 2 months ago I found Lush.com because I don't live near a Lush store. I browsed the website and ordered shampoo, conditioner and some soap for my 8 yr old and I to try. She's been having really dull lifeless hair since we got back from vacation and super chlorinated pools. I've tried about 5 different hair products for her, nothing helped. Anyway, once I completely started using all Lush products for her and I, my hand is clearing up! Who knew it was the chemicals and stuff in normal soap and shampoo causing the eczema on my hand! Almost gone now, after 29 YEARS, people! Also her hair started to shine and bounce again, my hair quit falling out so much...and after using Fresh Farmacy and Coalface nightly my two teens faces have cleared of acne amazingly well. Needless to say, I LOVE THIS PLACE AND PRODUCTS. I now carry the soap wherever I travel, I use their dish soap and the massage oil bars and skin products are continuing to heal my skin. I have found none of their products that are harsh, reddening or anything other than wonderful for me and my body. Thanks for literally changing my life, Lush!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by rustybag

There are 3 products that I like from this store:

1. Antiphilitron shampoo, which a clarifying lemon shampoo, but it's a retro product and therefore can only be bought online (just be warned before you shell out $36, with shipping, for the 16.9 ounce bottle, mine went rancid after about 6 months, about 6 months before the expiration date, so you do need to use it up rather quickly, even though it contains a paraben. I did leave the lid closed while not in use so I have no idea what happened)
2. Karma solid shampoo, which I find too drying, but I love it for my dog
3. Dear John cologne for my husband, which has a lovely woodsy, warm scent and smells great on him

Other than that, I find lush to be over-hyped and over priced. The products are not as natural as they claim, but rather a mix of harsh ingredients, both synthetic and 'natural'. Reviews on paula begoun's website and cosdna.com reveal that many of these expensive products are full of both skin irritants and acne causing ingredients (yes, natural ingredients can be extremely irritating too). I have also tried a few of the other shampoos & conditioners and found that they were ineffective, made my hair tangle & I had a ton of shedding from them. The body care products smell too strong & I found them to be mediocre for the price. Some if the packaging is unsanitary, cringe-worthy and gimmicky. The henna is messy, difficult to work with and full of questionable ingredients. I will continue to buy the 3 products that I like (though I'm not sure about the antiphilitron after it went rancid) but the rest if the store I will pass on. There are many companies I'd rather spend my money on, such as zum by indigo wild, hugo naturals, the wild soap bar company, body art quality henna from hennaforhair.com, etailers on etsy, the coconut hut, or aubrey organics.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only LUSH store even remotely close to me is in the airport and it reeks so horribly of over-scented product it gives me a headache just trying to hustle by the door way. The one time I made it in the sticker shock finished off what the fumes started. Their products might contain some great ingredients but none that justify the price. Many of us looking for natural products do so because we have reactive sensitive skin so loading your hand crafted lotions, soaps and other skin care items with scents and bizarre coloring (natural or otherwise) just defeats the purpose. They may have milder/unscented options and I'm sure offer online ordering but why bother when there are cheaper less gimmicky places to shop.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 8:33:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I first stepped into a LUSH in Covent Garden, London, in 1993. I was 17, and it was amazing, a total game changer. The products were innovative, very natural and reasonably priced. The staff were middle aged hippies, extolling the antifungal properties of patchouli oil. They were friendly and knew their stuff. They were like the Body Shop to the next level.
Next LUSH experience was 1997-2001. I was going to school in the U.K. and coming home to Ontario on holidays so I was still hitting London but also the Newcastle and Toronto stores. Pretty much a total LUSH user. Angels on Bare skin, shampoos, conditioners, Mask of Magnaminty, Potion Lotion, bubble bars, deoderant. Most products were hits, a few misses. To be expected. But I was noticing some changes. The newsletter/catalogue was getting really political, with a holier than thou attitude that I didn't appreciate. The staff were also getting younger and hipper, with the same attitude as the newsletter. I felt 'guilted' into certain products, and had to defend myself when I chose a drugstore product (like a sunscreen, which LUSH has never offered). Stores were more crowded with a dizzying array of products. But I still really believed in their core message and my skin was looking good.
This weekend I had what will probably be my last LUSH experience. As I moved away from urban centres, I ordered LUSH online, but eventually tapered off. Just too much of a bother. I also matured from a wild eyed university student to a mother of two who understands the cosmetics industry a little better. Natural is often a marketing idea rather than a reality. Really natural is easy to make at home or source locally, and LUSH was starting to look only barely different from the 'natural' products that crowded the shelves of my local health food store.
For old times sake, I slipped into a store in Quebec City in February, and again into one in Halifax this Spring. The stores were still crowded but most of my favourites were discontinued or only available online in the "retro" section. Thanks for making me feel old. The staff were even more earnestly hipster than ever; the young man seemed baffled that I didn't want a bath bomb demonstration. When I asked about their shine pomade for my new, kinky, gray hairs he looked lost and said he didn't have any suggestions. And the playdough soap I picked up was definitely not a colour found in nature. The two products I did intend to buy were out of stock; an interesting body lotion was $46 CDN for a small pot!
I feel like I am breaking up with a friend I have had since high school. I'm sad, but in reality, I moved on years ago. LUSH's groundbreaking naturalness is now echoed by other companies who are doing it better. Their staff are simply too cool for school and I don't appreciate being made to feel old and 'fuddy duddy' at the rarified age of 37. My political views are perhaps more nuanced than the shrill screaming at LUSH and to be honest, I care enough to put my money and my energy where it can better serve. $46 pots of body lotion and 'natural' neon soap just don't cut it anymore.

30 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by becky39

I like a few Lush products, though being on a budget I don't spend tons of money there and consider it a treat to go into the store. The one thing that bugs me at the Lush stores is the whole anti packaging thing, yes it is better for the environment but I see too many women and little kids picking up the products. I went in for my new bar of New solid shampoo and reached for the very last bar because I had a feeling that one had not been grabbed and stuffed up snotty noses to take a sniff by "lookers not buyers". The bath bombs are the ones I see EVERYONE picking up, sniffing and putting back, yes I am guilty, but I only pick up the ones I am 80% sure I want to purchase. The Lush catalog is a bit of a turnoff too, too political and "look at us, look at all the awesome stuff we do" for my taste, they pat themselves of the back so hard they are going to break an arm, the quieter, subtle approach is what I would be more apt to support. I also wish they would stop using SLS. Those are my Lush gripes....other than that they have good products (from what I have tried) and are at least trying to make the world a better place...

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No