August 23, 2014 | 1777 users online

Shampoo - Bumble & Bumble - Thickening Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2014 6:58:00 AM More reviews by verte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have mixed feelings about this shampoo (and the matching conditioner). Whilst it does what it says, i.e. provides obvious volume and thickness to fine hair, the trade-off for me and why I will not repurchase is that it dries out my hair and it feels horrible to touch. As I have fine, shoulder length, bleached (foiled) hair it needs more moisture and even though I alternate with a moisturising shampoo/conditioner any effect those products have on moisturising my hair is negated by the Thickening Shampoo/Conditioner duo. I find this shampoo doesn't tame flyaways at all and probably makes them worse than usual because it sucks out all the moisture. The shampoo also has a pretty awful, cheap men's cologne smell that is quite strong in the shower (different to the cheap men's cologne smell of the conditioner but a smell all the same). It is also hideously expensive at AU$38. I'd rather use a moisturising shampoo and conditioner and spend up on B&B styling products which I do like and find work well.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Belle144

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This shampoo is perfect for my fine, greasy, thinning hair as it cleans and leaves me able to comb it through without conditioner.
I have used many thickening shampoos and this is definitely the best one by far.
I use this shampoo and whilst my hair is still wet I spray on the Bumble Tonic and comb it through. My hair stays bouncy and clean for 2 whole days, sometimes even 3 before I need to wash it again. Could not live without this shampoo!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:24:00 AM More reviews by kochanie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

**review for shampoo and conditioner**
I would give this pair a 3.5, but I'll give it a 4 because it DOES do what it says, it really does thicken your hair and give it that healthy weight and substance, however, it doesn't really volumize, at least not when you air-dry (which is how I do my hair 95% of the time). It doesn't make your hair limp or flat at all, but it doesn't give you that light, swingy feel. It didn't dry out my highlighted hair at all, and it made my hair very bright and shiny. It smells really nice, kind of hard to describe, just a fresh air sort of scent. I only bought the travel size bottles so when I use these up I think I'll try the seaweed line, which is probably better for my needs (fine hair, which I like to be light and swingy) and maybe just use the thickening spray if I ever want extra volume.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is currently my favorite shampoo, and I have everything from Living Proof to Tigi Hair Reborn to Paul Mitchell in my shower. To me, it smells very fresh, and it's sort of ineffable, that smell. A bit like soda and wildflowers. I love it. It lathers well, you only need a little, and it doesn't make my hair feel super dehydrated like most thickening shampoos tend to. Will repurchase. Love the thickening spray too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This isn't bad for a thickening shampoo, it definitely makes my hair feel thicker and more abundant. You only need a small amount, as it has a thick consistency and builds up a substantial lather. Scent wasn't too memorable, which is better than a strong one that leaves a bad impression - surprisingly, the conditioner has a different scent, which I found similar to men's cologne and didn't like. This isn't a bad shampoo, but at this price point I expected more, so I don't think I'd repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by StrangeLight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

i have thin, fine hair and every day it seems to be getting worse. my hair is curly and very textured so i can kind of hide it unless you go in for a close look.

i'd been using this shampoo in rotation with a few others for a while and had noticed that the shafts of my hair looked thicker. my hair was also softer, shinier, and holding curl much better. but that could have been down to other shampoos or styling products.

then i went abroad for 8 months and didn't take this with me. after about 2 months, my hair looked thinner. my scalp was looking visible and the shafts of my hairs were thinner (back to how they were before i started using bumble and bumble). now, i was in a different climate, showering in water that wasn't safe to drink, lots of pollution, a bit of stress... but the only thing in my haircare regime that really changed was that i didn't have the thickening line of products with me.

when i was finally able to buy this stuff again, there was a noticeable improvement in the thickness of the strands of my hair. up close and at a distance my hair just looked fuller. not THICK, but thicker than before.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the travel size to try this out: $8 for 2 fl. oz of shampoo. Two. Ounces....

Eight. Dollars.

I receive the product, look at the ingredients. The first two being water and sodium laureth sulfate--- OK. So it is predominantly the same crap as any other shampoo I could have purchased in the drug store. Fabulous.

The reviews on this product seem good. Let me try it anyway.

To debrief on my hair type: I have the TYPE of hair that these products are targeted at!!

Baby Fine- YES
Straight- YES
Does not hold a style- YES
No volume ever.. ever.. ever- YES
Does my hair fall out?- NO-- it's just always limp and crappy. No medical problem, or vitamin defiency.. just genetically crappy, fine, limp hair.

I am the exact consumer that these products are targeted at!!

So, I use this product. It lathers well. It should- the second ingredient is detergent. It has a slightly odd smell. Not bad.. just. Odd. I think the third ingredient or so is aloe vera-- and I think the smell is largely an aloe smell. Oh. well maybe that's a good thing.

My hair didn't really feel clean.. so I rinsed and repeated. Something I definitely only do when I feel it's necessary. Again, I didn't really think that was a bad thing. I'd rather shampoo twice than use a product that is stripping the hair.

I get out of the shower, and use the same styling products, which for me these days is just mousse and some sea salt spray.

After my hair is dry, it is noticeably FLATTER and limper than it is with regular shampoo. It's the opposite of thicker.

Honestly, this product makes the same mistake of a lot of "thickening" and volumizing shampoos-- it basically is just a lot of sodium laureth sulfate detergent, which strips the hair-- in turn making the hair "appear" thicker because it's dried out and not weighed down by natural hair oils.

This sucks because, a- oils protect hair, and everyone with fine hair knows our hair needs the most protection and b- anyyyy stylist will tell you.. DIRT=Volume!! Dirty hair is easier to work with, it holds a style better, and the *right* amount of oil actually adds volume!!

This product made my hair wispy and fly away, and gave my scalp a dry unpleasant feeling. I'd expect this out of a $4 bottle of drug store "volumizing" shampoo, but @ $24 for like an 8 oz bottle-- you have GOT TO be joking.

If you have fine hair but it's thick in density-- then I guess this product might work because there's more hair on your scalp to begin with-- BUT for truly fine haired girls like me-- who need every last strand to just pull together, cooperate, and do.... something... anything!!--- this product isn't going to work.

FYI- I feel like shampoo is a very subjective thing, because hair types/needs vary so greatly. But for my particular fine/fragile/limp hair+ sensitive scalp combo, I've had the best luck and rotate between:
Renpure- moisturizing- Drug Store- $6 a bottle and sulfate free!
Organix- Moroccan Argan Oil- again, $6 a bottle and sulfate free, found at the drug store.
John Frieda- Sheer Blonde Luminous Touch (even though I am not blonde)-- $5 @ drug store, Does have sulfates, but doesn't irritate me for reasons unknown. It adds *awesome* volume!! And adds a nice shine to my hair, even though it is dark. My hair looks ridiculously healthy when I use this for a few weeks, but after awhile I do notice some product build up, so I will alternate.

I really hate returning, especially sample size products, but honestly I was insulted by the use of such cheap ingredients. I am definitely taking this back. With my refund I'll be able to pick up a *full size* of a decent sulfate free shampoo- and I will have change leftover :/

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by Carley210

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I alternate between three shampoos, Bumble & Bumble Thickening Shampoo being one of them. Does a great job, cleans, thickens and adds body. It's a bit pricey, but then we usually get what we pay for. I often look for, and find, bargains on Amazon. It's a stable on my bathroom shelf.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by ninaulrich

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Bought this shampoo twice and it's ok, not bad but not great either. I've got fine, soft hair and I need all the volume and weightless moisture I can get, so this seemed like a must have. I like it because it's light, rinses clean and smells amazing, but it doesn't make my hair feel any fuller or thicker than any other shampoo. Used with the matching conditioner it sometimes actually makes my hair seem even more limp, but that could be my imagination. It definitely creates tangles and therefore makes me use a lot of conditioner. I prefer a moisturizing shampoo like Creme de Coco. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Finally! A shampoo that leaves hair clean and detangled but doesn't strip moisture. My stylist recommended this and Quench conditioner, they have quickly become my HG duo. My hair is fine/dry/wavy so I do need moisture but too much weighs my hair down and makes it limp. This combo manages to give my hair the moisture it needs but it's still bouncy.