October 25, 2014 | 1107 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - when hope is not enough spf

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2010 4:27:00 AM More reviews by catherine112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this at Sephora and I couldn't stand the fragrance. I'm more of a fragrance-free type of gal.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2010 10:03:00 PM More reviews by catsuperhero

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a 27-year-old with normal, whiter than snow skin, and the occasional zit, I needed a moisturizer that did the following:

--provide anti-aging benefits (at least some antioxidants to make me feel proactive)
--provide SPF (because I'm so pale I swear you can see through me)
--not clog pores (my skin is nearly perfect, but one big red pimple on white skin...you get the idea)

I'm no stranger to Sephora, but even so, a skincare regimen involving 150 dollar serums, 90 dollar creams, and 60 dollar supplements is just not going to happen. I knew, though, that cosmetic-based moisturizers are (generally) different than doctor-created ones (cosmeceuticals), and that for my money I'd rather have a cream with some scientific backing.

Enter Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough moisturizer with SPF 20. Now I'm sure it's not as good as something from La Mer or Cle de Peau Beaute, but for the money (2 ounces for 38 dollars) I have found that the results are excellent. At 27 I'm not worrying about fine lines just yet, but my skin does feel fresh and moist (and clean!) after applying this lotion. It absorbs beautifully (I use it in the morning under makeup, and at night, too), protects well against the sun, and I can't ascribe any breakouts to it. I've knocked off a lippie for the smell, which doesn't last, but is a bit botanical (and not in that soothing nature mother kind of way). And it's certainly not as cheap as something you'd find in a drugstore, but for the price, I think it's well worth it. I'm on my third tube, and will likely stick with it until I decide to pony up the cash to try a truly high-end product. If you've been wondering where you can find an anti-aging moisturizer with SPF, this is Philosophy's best-kept secret.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2010 5:01:00 PM More reviews by endlessly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using this moisturizer with SPF 20 for about 3 almost 4 weeks now and it's pretty good. Goes on smooth and doesn't leave the greasy feeling like other SPF moisturizers do. My skin does feel hydrated when I use this in the mornings before school. In addition, I don't think 20 SPF is enough. Because it's the only SPF I have on my face, I feel like I have to use a generous amount to make sure my face gets enough coverage to protect it from sun damage.

PROS: doesn't smell bad (unlike Hope in A Jar), smooth application, not greasy at all, and feels very light.

CONS: too expensive for my taste ($38USD) and it's not sensible to be used at night

I'll probably return this if I don't find a better alternative.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by kimberlyball

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Gives a great luminosity to my dry skin. Sinks right in. Smells kinda weird...I don't really like it. SPF 20 is not enough for me! Also, has alcohol in it...not horrible and not great. Average moisturizer at a high price.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2009 4:15:00 PM More reviews by lolito

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Its too oily for my oily skin I'm not particulary fond of the smell either. So, no rebuy for this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2009 1:10:00 AM More reviews by valacy

I've been using this for well over a year now. I'm 33, have very sensitive skin, subject to breakouts and psoriasis. I have had no problems with this moisturizer. I love the consistency, lack of harsh fragrance and SPF. I'm never without it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2008 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Kate_NS

A very decent moisturizer. Although after 2 weeks continuous use I don't see that there is any lifting or age-benefit (and my skin is starting to show signs of needing just that!). Some of the most positives are the other things that this product DOESN'T do: it doesn't clog pores, doesn't cause breakouts and most of all, doesn't allow or give any hint of shine ALL DAY! It's rich enough to leave skin feeling refreshed and supple, and I love the subtle scent. The higher-than-usual SPF is a big bonus, as is the travel-friendly tube! Continued use would mean using my age-busting products in the p.m. or underneath.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2008 3:19:00 PM More reviews by kissncole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is definitely my HG spf moisturizer. Thick enough to feel like a moisturizer, but doesn't burn my eyes at all. Doesn't feel or smell like sunscreen at all. And with a generous 2 oz it will last you awhile.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by noelle198311

First of all, as a sunscreen it's NOT good. it's too heavy. also, having said that, to get the full spf of this product (which is in this case pretty low) you have to apply it thickly as with all sunscreens. how that should be done with this heavy sunscreen is beyond me.

However, it did not cause me any breakouts. it was also not too strong as some neutrogena sunscreens are. but the reason i give it 3 lippies is because it's an excellent moisturizer. but it is very heavy to use in the daytime. so for it's intended purpose, i think it's awful. and to use it as a heavy nighttime moisturizer, there are so much more cheap drugstore brands that do the job. definitely not worth $38.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2008 5:45:00 PM More reviews by pelikandaughter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've only been using this for a week, but so far I'm impressed. I started using it two days before TOM and I did not get a single zit, which is unusual for me. No breakouts or irritation yet, and I love the smell. My skin soaks it up instantly and leaves me with a good moisture balance - no oiliness or residue, and my skin feels supple and soft. The BF likes the smell, too. My skin is pretty dry, though. I doubt this alone would be moisturizing enough for me in the winter, but we'll just have to see if it works for me all summer.
Edit: So far, so good - but I am only using this in the early evening hours or on days I am mostly indoors, as I need serious sun protection for my outdoor activities - this is a good product for a morning commute, not a morning by the pool!