NARS New York

4.5

on 3/22/2015 7:11:00 PM

I like this but it is too dark for a shadow. I apply it wet as a liner with a mac liner brush for work. It is a really dark brown (the type that will make your eyes look super deep set if you are too liberal with it as a shadow)

I'd recommend this for those looking for a super dark matt brown. Those with dark skin might even find it useful as a brow powder.

Great for classic, Bobbi Brown style eye makeup looks (hope this makes sense)

on 11/1/2012 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I really love this eyeshadow. I had to search London to find this product but when I finally did it was well worth it.
I actually use this shadow in my eyebrows as my hair colour is a deep plum. Alot of brown shadows don't have enough red in them to give me a "natural" brow colour. This is a lovely colour and well worth a try.
Will also suggest New York as a soft smokey crease colour.

on 10/8/2012 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I went to Nordstrom recently for a makeover event where a NARS SA gave me a Fall appropriate, modern smokey eye. This is when I was introduced to the stunningly beautiful New York. The SA did a dark eye with New York just above the crease and it just took the look to a multi-dimensional level. It really made my eyes "pop" with deep, rich colors. I immediately knew that I would not be leaving without buying New York. When the full face was complete several people in the store stopped to comment about how beautiful my eyes looked.

In the pan, it looks like a cool-toned brown but on my eyes it looks like a clay-red. Although it turns red on me, it does not give me a muddy, 'heroin-chic" look at all. Honestly, based on pan appeal, it's not a color I'd usually go for. It seems like those with green and blue eyes would gravitate towards New York, but those with brown eyes like me may overlook this beauty. So glad the SA brought it to my attention. Now I can't wait to experiment with other eye looks to see just how versatile this shade can be. I highly recommend.

on 3/14/2012 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Beautiful burgundy with the right amount of cool brown to anchor it and not look muddy but prevent it from being too harsh. I dare say this looks extremely natural on blue eyes, in the crease, on the outer edge or as a liner but NOT all at once. Just pick one! This is a "date night" colour because it is highly seductive making blue eyes look out of this world. Although it would be fine as a day time look if restrained.

on 12/9/2010 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love it, its such a perfect reddish brown. I took a lippie off because when I got home I noticed the make up assistant most probably gave an old one.There was a sticker on it saying 15 even though I paid 16 and when I opened it, it was a little messy. Otherwise you can give it a try on a nars counter. It looks lovely on my olive toned medium skin.

on 1/13/2010 10:54:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Well everybody on here tells it best. I can only say that I agree. I have blue eyes kinda green/grey too and blonde hair. This color does not make my eyes POP like the orange in Medditeranee duo, but it does make them look very sophistcated and lovely. I have always gravitated towards this shade in any eyeshadow matte or otherwise. This is matte. Ive been swashing this in my crease with a giant fluffy blending brush and then putting a pale ivory or something on my lid, today it was the new mac pigment Universal. The only base I used was some Urban Decay Primer Potion. I would advise to let that UDPP dry completely first before trying to lay down a matte color or you have some blending snafu's. Still anyway you slice this, base or no base it will look good. I hope they never discontinue this shade. I paired it with NARS Mouina blush and it is perfect. Love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Yes, New York is a green eye maker! I went today to NARS for a makeover and a lovely MA put this beautiful e/s on my lids and blend it with a touch of Fuji in my inner corners.The result: instant emerald eyes! It looks great with Oasis or Sin on cheeks and a soft mauve lip (e.g., risky bussiness l/g). HG stuff!

on 5/5/2008 2:36:00 AM

New York was my first NARS e/s. As a green-eyed blonde, NW15, I had always mostly worn cool browns, never trying much more adventurous than that! This plummy brownish matte shadow goes on intensely, yet finely, so blendable. Makes my green eyes pop! Packaging is small, nothing too bulky, takes up barely any room in my bag. This is my fave forever!

on 11/17/2007 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

NARS eyeshadow in New York is a matted burgundy color, a lovely wine-brown with purple tones. I bought this because of the reviews. I needed an eyeshadow for the crease. The reviews have failed me!
New York is definitely a very sophisticated color, but on me, it was just a mess. Extremely pigmented, New York made my eyes look tired, dark, sunken, and beaten. It was extremely hard to control and I just didn't have the time to make it work. It was expensive too, somewhere in the $20s.
I'm gonna have to either stick to shimmer shadows or stay away from earthy purple tones- they tend to make me look dead (Asian, NC30). Loved the chic NARS packaging though. Haven't touched the shadow since, so the packaging is still nice and clean, lol.
[Overall rating 1.5 | Price 5 | Packaging 4 | NO, will not repurchase] continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

Yes!!! A HG for me!! I am extremely pale, blue/red undertones. I have blue green eyes and red/brown hair and this is one of the best shadows ever! Highly pigmented. Well worth the price. On me, it is a plummy shade and I use it in the crease of my cat eyes. I will try to find another shade as well. NARS cannot be beat as far as I am concerned with eyeshadow or makeup brushes.

Top Rated NARS Products