November 1, 2014 | 1215 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - wrappings

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Integra97

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought this blind when Clinique rolled out the seasonal gift set this year, based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews here and elsewhere. Sadly it does not smell as amazing on me as it seems to on everyone else. I didn't think twice about buying it since all the other Clinique fragrances are great on me. But this one just never reacts with me. For the first hour or two after I put it on the scent makes me think of walking through the woods on a really cold day. Kind of a clean and slightly bracing scent. After three hours I can't even tell I'm wearing it. Disappointing considering that I paid $47 for 0.8 oz EDP and a tube of the matching body smoother lotion. Oh well, that's what i get for ordering online without testing first. It's not bad, it's just nothing special on me, just another light inoffensive scent that I can wear to the office.
Update: read that perfume lasts longer when applied to skin that has been moisturizer. So I tried using the body lotion where I usually spray perfume, and then spritzing it. This helps, but not enough to get me to buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by maleajou

A familymemeber had this one, and I just adored it. I surfed the net for hours and hours, and I finally found a place (Galaxy perfumes, UK) where they had the perfume. I ordered it, it was quite expensive. But when it arrived I soon realised, its a true headache inducer. Everytime I wore it, I would get migreanes. Terrible. I ended up giving it away. Its the worst scent I ever had, I hate it. But have to admit, it smells very unique, and when my fathers wife wears it, its absolutely perfect, so...I guess this one depends on who wears it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very piney. Smells like real Christmas trees. Paradoxically though I think of it as 'blooming in the heat' it will never be my hg but I would repurchase. Sillage is huge and sp not bad. Notes as per Fragranctica are:
aldehydes, artemisia, lavender, green notes and nutmeg flower; middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, orris root, jasmine, hiacynth and rose; base notes are leather, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, cedar and sea notes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2012 11:18:00 AM More reviews by OVincze

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this fragrance as it is totally unique, nothing I had smelled before smells like it and if you prefer to have personality in your scent, this is definitely a must get. It is also quite rare, selling at crazy prices on the net due to it being only sold during the holiday season, limited edition and news every once in a while that is is now really discontinued for good. I find that it works not only during the holiday season but during every season due to the green, sparkly, effervescent notes in it.

Wrappings opens with a dose of aldehydes, which causes an explosion like, scintillating effect that lends fragrances an unparalleled passionate character that nothing else matches. The aldehydes are sort of scintillating, green but with waxy character and the green notes are there with a bit of spice and then the florals rush through almost instantly and the floral notes in it are also quite unique and extremely feminine in nature, carnations with their spicy, cinnamic scent and hyacinth.

Sillage is really good but I find that lasting power is not the best, it can be reapplied during the day though. It is a very elegantly and unusually rounded composition of greens, spices, flowers and woodsy resinous drydown, however, almost linear.

I discovered it accidentally being offered a bottle at a great price thinking it was Aromatics E which I love as well but the two are quite different despite having a slightly similar base. I was so happy to have discovered it that I went back to get a Xmas gift set which are now 25 % off at the Clinique stores, if it is discontinued I want to have my bottle for sure and one goes to my mom to enjoy.

If it quite an experience and what a ride to wear this perfume.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one my favorite fragrances along with YSL Opium. It has a woodsy, floral oriental smell that is very unique. I have resorted to using this on special occassions because you can only get it once a year. Which every Christmas I ask my husband to get me a bottle. This is one fragrance where 1-2 sprays with last you an entire day. I love fragrances that wind down to a beautiful lingering scent into the evening. If you get a chance this winter season, seek it out and give it a whiff. You might find that this fragrance lures you in as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wrappings reminds me of the Christmas season. Perhaps that it why you can only buy this at that time of year. It is exceptionally strong and if you overdo it, it can be quite unladylike. It smells of pine cones and holly. It is heavenly in cold weather, especially when applied lightly. Heavy and overwhelming in hot weather...do not attempt it unless you want to be stoned! It smells like nothing else and if you are familiar with it at all, you will recognize it right away. I love it. Small bottle lasts forever and the price won't have you taking out a second mortgage.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by fruitfly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First, let me state that I don't know how one can rate perfumes because what smells good can be so subjective. That being said, I've loved this scent for years. I get mostly an initial blast of sage, rosemary, and lavender from Wrappings and I love the woody, piney drydown. If I catch a whiff of it later on my clothes or sheets I'm always amazed by how wonderful it smells. I've gotten many compliments wearing it. I would put it on par with Chanel's Sycomore or Hermes' Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or even with Light Blue -- all of which could be described as unisex scents. Except I won't wear Light Blue anymore since it's become so ubiquitous. Wrappings is not a scent that you have to worry about others wearing. First of all, Clinique doesn't even market it and only a few stores sell it around Christmas time. The name sucks and the bottle isn't much to look at. I called Estee Lauder (Clinique's parent company) and was told that it was discontinued. It's not -- you can currently get it through the Clinique website -- but it's ironic that the Estee Lauder Corporation doesn't even know about one of its lines. A lot of people seem to think it's discontinued -- I see it for sale on eBay for more than I can buy it new at Clinique. I just bought another bottle because I fear that, with no marketing emphasis, it will eventually be discontinued. Longevity and sillage with this fragrance is great. A little goes a long way. And compared to Chanel and Hermes it's uber affordable. The ingredients note that Wrappings has both treemoss extract and oakmoss extract which makes me wonder if they're still selling stock made pre the IFRA ban. For more cogent reviews, by people who are more literate in perfume terminology, I would suggest checking out basenotes.net. Some reviewers have deemed this an unusual scent, but for me it's eminently wearable and lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2009 8:48:00 AM More reviews by TallulahB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was my signature scent in college. It's a beautiful chypher, with pine, cedar and citrus notes. Unlike many here, I actually like the stark, green opening, and I agree with those who've described the sexy, incensey middle as Christmas in a bottle. Alas, these days I find the carnation and jasmine notes somewhat cloying in the drydown. If the top and middle notes were the whole experience, I'd probably still be wearing Wrappings daily, instead of 5-6 times per year. It should be noted, though, that I have bad chemistry with florals; for many people, the drydown will be the most enjoyable part of this fragrance. And you'll get to enjoy that drydown for a long time, because this baby has astonishing sillage!

Clinique only sells Wrappings during the winter holiday season, which is also the perfect time to wear it. If you like chyphers, I strongly recommend seeking it out. Don't judge it by the smell in the bottle or on a paper strip; its middle and bottom notes will not reveal themselves there. Apply to the skin... SPARINGLY, because as others have noted, it's strong! I now pity those who had to endure me walking around in a cloud of this stuff in the 90's, especially since chyphers are such a love-'em-or-hate-'em affair. I assume the hate-'ems were just too polite to say anything; on the love-'em front, I received loads of compliments, with strangers sometimes literally chasing me down to ask what I was wearing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2009 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so glad to have a chance to try Wrappings as I found out that not all of the Clinique counters carry this fragrance. This is an unexpected and unusual fragrance. To me it smells like limes, pine, and eucalyptus over a blend of warm herbs. Love.
Edit Dec 9, 2009: I purchased the gift set that included the edp and body smoother - this stuff is amazing. It's almost like a citrus aldehydic-chypre that's made especially for cold weather. Will purchase again and again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2008 11:06:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a clean, woodsy fragrance with a hint of citrus and sage. It is potent and long lastig so use sparingly.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No