December 22, 2014 | 1478 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Geller - Matte Maker Invisible Oil Blotting Powder w/Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 9:30:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

**UPDATED REVIEW** My opinion of this powder has really changed from my original review. I was applying way too much of this powder at first which was why it was making my face white. Now I have learned to just apply sparingly and this powder works really well at mattifying me all day. I have been wearing this every day over the shiniest of foundations and BB creams and it works just as well on those as it does on a more matte foundation. I noticed that it also gave me an almost 'soft-focus' finish to my skin which blurred all my imperfections and made my face look really good.

I was out in the sun for a few hours and this didn't sweat off, and my face still looked matte (although less matte than it would when first applying). Most powders oxidize on me and I can't ever guarantee that the powder in the pan will be the same color once it is on my face. This powder being colorless has solved this problem. I have already bought a full size of this and it seems like this will be a permanent part of my makeup bag.

**ORIGINAL REVIEW** I received a sample size of this from Ulta and I have been using it now for a while. The powder itself is white and although it is not supposed to deposit any color, my already pasty-white complexion does look paler when I have applied this. But apart from that, this powder does what it sets out to do. Because I am currently using a sunscreen under makeup that leaves my skin ridiculously shiny, I have been using this powder over my foundation to reduce or try to eliminate this excessive shine. Other powders have the shine coming through fairly fast, but this one lasts most of the day. It does make my foundation look a little blotchy, but nothing as bad as Mally's Poreless Face Defender did. Not sure if I would buy again, I may just stick with a regular powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 7:45:00 PM More reviews by EmilyTaylor1216

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased this powder when it was pointed out to me by a lady who works at Ulta! I have very oily skin and I wanted to get something to help with the shine all throughout the day! I went into Ulta not caring if it was a lotion, foundation, powder, etc.. but ended up getting this. The price is not terribly high, but it could always be lower. When I purchased this powder at Ulta, I did not get a brush with it! Anyways this powder is quite nice! It helps to set my foundation and help control oil and shine! With this powder you may need/want to reapply maybe once a day, but that is not a big deal. The only negative I have with this powder is the fact that it is hard to get out of the compact and onto my brush. I feel like I am pressing to hard on the power, but that is required to get any onto the brush.
Overall I really like this powder. I may or may not be repurchasing simply due to the cost of the powder! But it works well for my oily/semi-acne prone skin!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by deadonarrivals

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Again, I try to like Laura Geller's products but they just don't meet my standards. I love watching her on QVC and she appears to be a very knowledgable makeup artist with a sweet personality but I haven't found a single product from her that works for me. Being an oily person, I do need to carry a powder with me. I've tried several and still looking for the ideal one and this isn't it. In fact, this powder was very poor quality. Even with the slightest tap on the face, I still got a massive circle of flakey white powder. I find this powder is too chunky and doesn't blend into the skin at all. Also, it clings very bad to any flakes making them look rough. I've tried using two different powder puffs, a makeup sponge and also a powder brush, all left the same chalky white finish. My New York Color Smooth Finish Translucent Powder for $2.99 works way better than this powder. Also, the packaging is bulky and only contains a half of a mirror. I purchased mine at Ulta and it didn't come with a brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Miltonh81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this this actually doesn't upset my skin like balance and brighten which surprises me but so glad it doesn't. I use this over liquid and bare minerals and it really does blot the shine away for a few hours which is great for me because my skin is very oily. Love the fan brush it came with it helps to get into the really shiny bits around my nose. The only problem with this is that my powder broke up very quickly and it was only in my Make up case, so I use my ready mineral veil to take out with me that's another amazing shine blotter!.for touch ups at home this is the best powder out there.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

personally i would not recommend this product to anyone with oily skin it did not do anything for me at all. My brush was hardly able to pick up the product. Luckily Macy's allowed me to return it! I will not purchase again or recommend this product. I have since found an amazing powder you can use to set the make up and blot with its Mac blot pressed powder its amazing!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by pecantan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i wasnt impressed with this powder. it did a very poor job at controlling oil. i also didnt like the half sized mirror that comes with it, its too small. it did not come with a puff or a brush. for $22.00 i expected better. the guy at Ulta raved about this powder.claiming it was best thing since sliced bread and that he can never keep it on the shelf.. blah blah blah. what a big disappointment! back to Ulta this goes...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2009 8:44:00 PM More reviews by HotttestBlde

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

There are many products similar to this on the market. Ie. Arbonne has a version of this also. I like this product because it does exactly what it says it is going to do...make your make-up have a matte finish. I use it in the T-Zone and dust it lightly with the fan brush. I don't use a heavy hand when applying this because it does look white-ish. It is fantastic to use for a highlight on your face. I really like it and have had good luck with it. The compact will last me years.

For those who are super oily, it starts with proper skincare to control the oil and then a good make-up primer designed for oily skin. Additionally, during the day, I blot with Starbucks napkins to help eliminate any oil and then put a light dusting of this over my face. Product over oil is still going to give a 'greasy' finish. The price point is excellent -$22 for both the powder and the fan brush. It is $20 at Sephora without the fan brush.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2009 3:48:00 PM More reviews by AYS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe how highly this product has scored. I bought it via QVC and was thoroughly disappointed. For me, it was like covering my face with talcum powder (referring to the colour which is pure white). I looked ridiculous and returned it immediately so I cannot really comment on its oil controlling properties. It may because I have brown skin but it was sold as 'invisible'.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by pmbechtle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hands down the best setting powder I've ever used. It really is no color! It gives me a clean, airbrushed look over foundation or even worn alone. I apply with a kabuki all over after doing my makeup in the morning. If I'm going out in the evening, I do another dusting and I'm good to go. Invisible setting powder - this one's a no-brainer.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by vietbeb

I use this to set my MAC Face and Body foundation and it controls my oily skin better than any setting powder I've ever tried! I've used MAC Blot prior to this but found that the tint in the powder dulled my foundation leaving me sick-looking. Matte Maker will go on slightly white but when absorbed with my foundation/skin, disappears, leaving me matte and doesn't interfere with my foundation. To set, I prefer using a powder puff over the fan brush that was included and pressing it onto my skin. I still have to use an oil absorbing sheet (because my skin is THAT oily) but it isn't until noon whereas before I had to blot about an hour after doing my make-up. I seriously love this powder and will definitely repurchase!