Philosophy Hope in a Jar for Dry, Sensitive Skin

3.4

water (aqua), glycerin, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, c12-15 alkyl benzoate, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, octyldodecanol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, lecithin, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, arachidyl propionate, ethyl linoleate, ethyl linolenate, citric acid, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, triethanolamine, diazolidinyl urea, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben.

Before switching to this product, my skin had a sandpapery texture. I was using the entire line of Clinique (for combination dry to dry) and my skin was worsening everyday.

I tried the sample box from Philosophy that included an exfoliating mask, 2 hope in a jar (day and night) and a small time in a bottle.

The moment I used up the serum and my hope in a jar, I knew I had to repurchase it. It's very very expensive but you use a small amount and will last very long.

My skin cleared (I think because of the AHA in it) and I have never been happier.

It was a strong scent to it that I still cannot get used to but the trade off for it is well worth it!

My skin has never been this good :)

You can sign up for Philosophy updates and they will message you for any discounts or sales.

on 5/8/2015 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm totally on the fence about this product; in the end, I don't think I'd buy it again because of relative cost. The formula was fine, hydrating without feeling oily, and absorbed into the skin quickly, which is a huge benefit in a humid climate like mine. The tub could be a bit messy to get product out of, but I sort of liked being able to see that I was getting all of it. It didn't give my skin any problems, but I didn't notice any improvements in skin tone or appearance. Given the relative cost, there are other facial moisturizers that seem to do as much for less per ounce.

Surprised to see the low reviews. Moving to a dry, semi-arid desert climate, a couple years ago I found my normal moisturizer wasn't enough. I tried Cetaphil (horrible under foundation), Clairins Hydra-Quench Serum (Mehhh, nothing notable ), jojoba/avacado oil (effective but takes too long to sink in), Kate Sommerville Quench Serum ( expensive but effective), Clinique Moisture Surge ( effective but I feel you need to use more product to make your skin feel moisterized) and Hope in a Jar regular just wasn't enough. I tried this and it has everything all the other products I've tried don't. It quickly absorbs into my skin, doesn't break me out, and smells somewhat pleasant and it's not stupid expensive - it lasts a really long time, like 5-6 months, and you only need a very small amount. My makeup glides on smoothly, and it doesn't emphasizes dry patches. (Maybe that part has to do with me exfoliating regularly with enzyme based products like Exfolicate, PTR laser resurface scrub, Olay microdermabrasion) The jar isn't very sanitary, but dipping into it directly after a shower with clean hands makes this a non-issue. So with all of that considered, it's really a great product. Don't let the few bad reviews discourage you, as I almost passed on this fabulous product for the 53% or so rating. I got a free sample from Sephora, and came back to buy it after I tried it. Try it :)

on 7/24/2014 12:16:00 PM

The only moisturizer I use. Most moisturizers break me out this doesn't. I'm so glad the SA recommended this. I just wish it came in a tube and was a little less expensive.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very very dry skin, it's very sensitive, and I get acne. Great, right!

Anyway, about two months ago I changed my skin care routine after I had a few breakouts after being quite stable. My skin was also dryer than usual. Moisturisers get sucked in so quickly and makeup doesn't last.

Enter; Hope In A Jar. It's delicious. It's quite thick, but having dry, thirsty skin, I like thicker creams. I use it on it's own at night, and my skin still feels hydrated when I wake up in the morning!

For day, I first use Kate Sommervile Dilo Oil, once that's absorbed, I put this on top. Makeup lasts longer, and my skin doesn't have the dry, itchy feeling I'm used to.

No breakouts, pores the same as usual. No negs. Heaps good.

on 3/19/2013 12:39:00 PM

After reading reviews on MUA, I was a little hesitant to splurge on this product, especially since I HATED the original hope in a jar. However, my coworker absolutely raved above this moisturizer and promised I would love it. It comes in the same awful, cheap plastic container that is completely unsanitary but for what's inside, I'll manage. It's a bit thicker than the original hope in a jar and doesn't have that awful stench the original has. Now, about my skin. I have very, very combination, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I am extremely oily on my nose and inner cheek area, a little oily on my forehead, and super dry around my mouth and chin. While not often, I do sometimes suffer from cystic acne, but usually, I just have blemishes here and there. I also have hyper-pigmentation on my outer cheeks. So in a nutshell, my skin is a hot mess. The first time I used this product, I was skeptical because nothing was healing the horribly dry skin around my mouth (besides my beloved vanicream- but even with that, if I stopped using it daily, the dry skin would come right back). After a few uses, my dry skin was good as new, the rough patches were smooth, and my face just all around felt better, smoother, and looked more alive. It didn't break me out and didn't cause me to become more oily, so a definite win in my book. Luckily, I didn't have to pay full price with this. If you sign up for philosophy's newsletter, you'll get promo codes that range between 15-40% products. I think I got 25% off this and if I continue to receive coupons, I will continue to buy :).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Smells horrible. Good if your plain dehydrated .. I have dry skin so I still had to drop face oil. In my palm before i applied it. Kinda just felt like a light drink of water for the face.. Nothing fab n not for me.

on 2/12/2013 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

All of my life, I have had dry skin that is prone to breakouts. *This* is my Holy Grail moisturizer! It keeps me hydrated without breaking me out, keeps my oily areas free of clogs - and it smells delightful (faint) and doesn't feel greasy. I have been using this moisturizer every winter for the past few years, and I have to say that nothing keeps my skin from getting dry, chapped, or irritated better than jar Hope In A Jar for Fry Sensitive Skin. In fact, I started using it year round, for the most part...and only abstain when I know it will be yucky and humid, because the moisturizer absorbs quickly enough to feel "light" and wear most of the time. Even though it has a heavier texture than the more popular regular version of the Hope In A Jar moisturizer, the dry skin cream is still not unbearably heavy. And it is good for sensitive skin (personally, my skin cycles in and out of sensitivity). The jar lasts about three months (I only use in the a.m. under makeup, opting to treat at night). It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

on 9/13/2012 2:42:00 PM

This is by far the best moisturizer I have ever used! It is super thick and creamy and goes on like silk. I find that I only need a little bit so it does tend to last me quite a while. The original formulation is also good but for some reason I can not tolerate the smell of it so I have been using this one for quite some time. I have pretty sensitive skin and have never had any problems with this product. My only complaint would be that the packaging sometimes leaves you needing to really dig at the bottom in order to get all of the product out at the end but that really doesnt make much of a differance. Overall it is an amazing mosturizer.

on 7/27/2012 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

One of my friend was raving about this philosophy products and so I thought I would give it a try. The cleaner is very good however I cannot say the same about this moisturizer.

The smell didn't bother me as much, it was strong when I first used it but I got used to the smell. This product made my skin look oily but did not hydrate well because when I put my foundation, I get dry spots. My face was clearing up and I finished my moisturizer so I used this for the time being but I noticed I starting getting pimples again. But the number one reason why I hate this product is because it made my face look dull. I would wake up with a bright, pale skin but once I put this moisturizer on my face becomes dark and dull.

Overall it did not moisturize my skin, it made it dull, dark and oily and broke me out. I will not purchase again.

Popular Moisturizers