September 19, 2014 | 1992 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar for Dry, Sensitive Skin

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by noonereally

The only moisturizer I use. Most moisturizers break me out this doesn't. I'm so glad the SA recommended this. I just wish it came in a tube and was a little less expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Peanutbutterbaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very very dry skin, it's very sensitive, and I get acne. Great, right!

Anyway, about two months ago I changed my skin care routine after I had a few breakouts after being quite stable. My skin was also dryer than usual. Moisturisers get sucked in so quickly and makeup doesn't last.

Enter; Hope In A Jar. It's delicious. It's quite thick, but having dry, thirsty skin, I like thicker creams. I use it on it's own at night, and my skin still feels hydrated when I wake up in the morning!

For day, I first use Kate Sommervile Dilo Oil, once that's absorbed, I put this on top. Makeup lasts longer, and my skin doesn't have the dry, itchy feeling I'm used to.

No breakouts, pores the same as usual. No negs. Heaps good.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by erinlahti

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After reading reviews on MUA, I was a little hesitant to splurge on this product, especially since I HATED the original hope in a jar. However, my coworker absolutely raved above this moisturizer and promised I would love it. It comes in the same awful, cheap plastic container that is completely unsanitary but for what's inside, I'll manage. It's a bit thicker than the original hope in a jar and doesn't have that awful stench the original has. Now, about my skin. I have very, very combination, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I am extremely oily on my nose and inner cheek area, a little oily on my forehead, and super dry around my mouth and chin. While not often, I do sometimes suffer from cystic acne, but usually, I just have blemishes here and there. I also have hyper-pigmentation on my outer cheeks. So in a nutshell, my skin is a hot mess. The first time I used this product, I was skeptical because nothing was healing the horribly dry skin around my mouth (besides my beloved vanicream- but even with that, if I stopped using it daily, the dry skin would come right back). After a few uses, my dry skin was good as new, the rough patches were smooth, and my face just all around felt better, smoother, and looked more alive. It didn't break me out and didn't cause me to become more oily, so a definite win in my book. Luckily, I didn't have to pay full price with this. If you sign up for philosophy's newsletter, you'll get promo codes that range between 15-40% products. I think I got 25% off this and if I continue to receive coupons, I will continue to buy :).

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by violetpython4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Smells horrible. Good if your plain dehydrated .. I have dry skin so I still had to drop face oil. In my palm before i applied it. Kinda just felt like a light drink of water for the face.. Nothing fab n not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by superkid268

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

All of my life, I have had dry skin that is prone to breakouts. *This* is my Holy Grail moisturizer! It keeps me hydrated without breaking me out, keeps my oily areas free of clogs - and it smells delightful (faint) and doesn't feel greasy. I have been using this moisturizer every winter for the past few years, and I have to say that nothing keeps my skin from getting dry, chapped, or irritated better than jar Hope In A Jar for Fry Sensitive Skin. In fact, I started using it year round, for the most part...and only abstain when I know it will be yucky and humid, because the moisturizer absorbs quickly enough to feel "light" and wear most of the time. Even though it has a heavier texture than the more popular regular version of the Hope In A Jar moisturizer, the dry skin cream is still not unbearably heavy. And it is good for sensitive skin (personally, my skin cycles in and out of sensitivity). The jar lasts about three months (I only use in the a.m. under makeup, opting to treat at night). It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Kiki1118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is by far the best moisturizer I have ever used! It is super thick and creamy and goes on like silk. I find that I only need a little bit so it does tend to last me quite a while. The original formulation is also good but for some reason I can not tolerate the smell of it so I have been using this one for quite some time. I have pretty sensitive skin and have never had any problems with this product. My only complaint would be that the packaging sometimes leaves you needing to really dig at the bottom in order to get all of the product out at the end but that really doesnt make much of a differance. Overall it is an amazing mosturizer.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by julietsecret

One of my friend was raving about this philosophy products and so I thought I would give it a try. The cleaner is very good however I cannot say the same about this moisturizer.

The smell didn't bother me as much, it was strong when I first used it but I got used to the smell. This product made my skin look oily but did not hydrate well because when I put my foundation, I get dry spots. My face was clearing up and I finished my moisturizer so I used this for the time being but I noticed I starting getting pimples again. But the number one reason why I hate this product is because it made my face look dull. I would wake up with a bright, pale skin but once I put this moisturizer on my face becomes dark and dull.

Overall it did not moisturize my skin, it made it dull, dark and oily and broke me out. I will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by saramathison

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this a year ago and no matter how much I stray I come back to it. Especially after I mess up my skin experimenting with other stuff. I can't use the normal Hope in a Jar because it has lavender oil, so if they ever add that oil to this one I'll have to stop. But for now it's worth the money for me since it lasted more than a year. Dipping fingers into the jar is gross though.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by wenqing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

the original hope in a jar for dry, sensitive skin was my all time favorite moisturizer, my skin's just like baby soft after using it. i don't even have to use treatment and eye cream every night. it just saved my dry and sensitive skin.
but when i got another one earlier this year i noticed that they had removed the "sensitive" of the product name but i thought it would be the same product. but i started getting tiny little bumps on my forehead after using it a few times, which never happened with the original one.. and i still have them now. idk what's changed in the new version besides the name.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by blauriche

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't understand the good reviews for this product. It doesn't seem to moisturize my skin at all. Weirdly, I'm pretty sure this is the only moisturizer I have ever bought that burned when I put it on. Kind of weird for a product supposedly for sensitive skin, especially since my skin isn't even that sensitive. For me, this is easily the dumbest purchase I have ever made. I bought the set with the serum and the eye cream and it was so worthless I finally broke down and tried those Paula's Choice products she's hawking all over Beautypedia. Now I wish I could exchange this $85 set I bought for a whole product line from Paula. I guess I'm going to keep using it, since it seems like too much of a chore to return it. I basically just use it sometimes in the middle of the day when I need a little refresher after work.