Mavala Nail Shield

4.7

on 10/12/2013 5:54:00 AM

I bought this product to combine it with nail hardener scientifique (and nailtek nailtherapy II). It does work, it strengthens my nails.

but it does have a bit of a peach color and only 1 layer of each doesn't make a smooth surface. I have to put a second layer of no2 or another layer nailtek.

since it does do the job well, it's worth it!

This is my second time using this product. The first time was about 3 years ago when I decided to take drastic steps (aka spend $$ on the right products) to improve my ragged nails. Nail shield worked like a charm and I could see my nails growing out without problems.
I am using it now on nails torn by accident, that are so soft I cannot use gel as strengthener because it pops.

Now I do notice some things when using this product:
- One coat of Phase 2 will not be enough to cover the unevenness of the fiber coat below. If you use 2 coats of Phase 2 you'll end up with half a bottle of Phase 1 staring at you in the end. So now I use 2 coats of each to evenly finish them. I do not find that wasteful, but that's up to the individual. Still, even after 2xPhase 2 I get a slightly "grainy" surface if I look close enough.
- The first time I used it I was all-Mavala (base, polish, top-coat, QDTC). Now that I use OPI polish and SV I seem to have a slight problem of the Nail Shield never fully drying under them. I am still playing around trying combinations, but you may need to know. I love this product so much, though, that I do not mind going neddik - just that on my nails- since I have a bigger problem to solve.

I had no problem finishing all the product in the bottles, even when it is on it's very last (either bottle) I can tilt the bottle and fish out the product without any fuss, so I rated the packaging 5.

Overall I recommend it and I will buy again if I need it, as I have already done.

on 1/16/2012 3:37:00 PM

Nothing comes close if you have thin, weak, peeling nails. I've tried everything but to no avail...until I found this. Apply the white base coat (called Nail Sheild - with tiny fibres), let dry for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then apply the nude base coat (the 2nd bottle in the box), let dry for a couple of minutes then your colour and top coat as normal. I have long nails now! And home manicures last for ages! In the UK you can get the small duo box for about 9 at Boots and the larger bottles for about 16. The bottles never go gloopy or stringy so you really do get your money's worth. I can't live without this. If I went back to a normal base coat (which I do try occasionally) my nails start peeling again because there isn't enough of a level of protection.

on 1/3/2011 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Mavala recommends Nail Shield for post-acrylic nails, soft thin nails, and bitten nails.

Mavala Nail Shield is a two part system. In Phase 1, a base coat with nylon fibers is brushed on vertically. This is supposed to protect the nails so they can grow out healthy underneath, and it also protects them from external pressures. Phase 2 is a ridge filler - it evens out nail irregularities and the fibers.

I've used both parts of the system, but using two coats of Phase 1 and no Phase 2 works well if wearing polish and a top coat because the fibers are covered up with the coats of polish and top coat. I've also used two coats of Phase 1 and one coat of Phase 2. With two coats of fibers, the nails have greater strength.

The nylon fibers look white in the bottle but go on clear. Phase 2 looks beige in the bottle and adds a tiny bit of transparent beige to the nails. I've also used Phase 2 as a top coat. It works very well, especially since I use beige nail polish. It provides a sheen rather than a shine as do regular top coats.

I use Phase 1 over the weak/broken portion of a nail. I do one coat vertically and the second coat horizontally. I let each coat dry then press down. I then polish over the area. This technique keeps the nail from weakening/breaking further.

Nail Shield helped protect and restore my post-acrylic soft, thin nails. I still use it as protection.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It's so cool that Mavala is listed on MUA, and that I can review these products. On a recent visit to Rio de Janeiro, I had a couple manicures/pedicures. my husband's aunt gets her nails done all the time, and is always trying to find good products for strengthening her nails. I went to one very nice, very expensive salon, and they all use the very cheap small bottles of nail polish that are available there (they all sell in the drugstores for what translates to about $US2). She's never heard of OPI or Essie, or Seche Vite, so I promised to send her some. I guess they don't mind using cheap nail polish, because most women get their nails done regularly as manicures only cost about $US6.

Anyway, as part of a going away gift, she bought me the Mavala Nail Shield Phase 1 and 2, and the Mavadry quick dry topcoat. The prices were on the boxes, and they came out to about $US20 per item (!). I had never heard of the brand before. When I got home, I used the Nail Shield set, OPI Quarter of a cent-cherry, and the Mavadry top coat. Now, let me say that it's a rare day for my manicure to last more than a day or two without any chips whatsoever, even in the shower, etc. When I use the products together, my manicure lasts up to 2 days (I have oily nailbeds).

The reasons that I rated this product 4 instead of 5 are that I have not noticed any strengthening going on; the phase 1, with the nylon strands, leaves a rough edge on the end of my nails if I'm not careful to smooth the strands down; after using phase 2, it's very hard to get a nice smooth coat of nail polish. It just doesn't go on nicely, so I've had several manicures that have looked bumpy and stuff. Also, I'm not going to hold this against the products, but another downside is that it adds a coat or two to your manicure, thus taking longer to complete and longer to dry. Other than that, I really like it and I am glad to find that it might be available to purchase online, even though it's still expensive.

on 11/23/2009 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

so far i think this stuff is fantastic!
I really think i can notice how wearing it reinforces my natural nails which i love looking after and doing a weekly manicure on.
i somehow snagged a corner of a nail yesterday and was upset thinking its most likly going to peel off....but then i thought let me be hopeful and apply this to see how it holds up and so far its been great, i cant even notice the snag with nail polish on.

this also works as a good stain preventative base coat and i always apply it before colour now,wouldnt be without it alongside my scientifique harder.

on 3/16/2004 7:34:00 PM

This is a two-part system. The first coat contains nylons fibers and creates a very rough surface. Two coats of the sealant smooths it out though. I used it together with their Scientifique Nail Hardener, so I'm not sure what is working, but my nails have not been splitting at all like they used to do daily. Also doesn't seem to peel off the way my Nailtiques always did. Haven't been wearing it long enough to give long-term results, but so far I love it.