Maybelline Great Lash Royal Blue

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/18/2015 10:33:00 AM

I bought this a while ago and just gotten around to using this because I had forgotten all about it. I have tried the original version (black) and i HATED it because it did NOTHING for my lashes. When I saw that they made a colored version, I was intrigued. Upon first impression, it was just like the original.... nothing special, it just made my lashes look wet and a hair darker. Also, i didn't see ANY blue color to it what so ever (on its own). The only way I can get the blue to show up is if i use a regular mascara first, let that dry...and then go over it with this mascara a couple times. I didn't have high expectations for this mascara, but i DID expect the blue to show up! It's a very wet formula and takes a while to dry. Since you need MULTIPLE coats of this stuff to have sufficient color show up... that's just too much effort. I will stick with the NYX and Hard Candy colored mascaras. While they cost a bit more, the quality far surpasses this crappy product.

On the plus side though... while the brush is insufficient for coating my upper lashes, I think it's good at separating my lower lashes. I will toss out the tube and wash/clean the wand so i can use it with other mascaras.

I'm holding off on a 5-star rating, because I've only just purchased a tube of Great Lash in Royal Blue and tried it out today. However, upon first impression, I really like it and feel like I should share my thoughts. I started off with low expectations because of a few things: 1) not many Youtubers or makeup bloggers talk about this product 2) Royal Blue seems to be a different blue from the limited edition colored Great Lash mascara (2 years ago I think)--from pics online, that one seems like a bright, electric blue 3) people generally seem to be disappointed in colored mascaras, because it doesn't show up 4) Great Lash was my gateway mascara to the world of makeup, and I didn't even like it back then...

That being said, this formula seems improved from the runny Great Lash I tried for what seems a million years ago. Actually, I think the tube I got was quite dry--which was okay by me, because upon seeing the brilliant blue in the bottle, I didn't want to end up depositing too much product on my lashes. The wand is kind of small, but it did the trick for separating my lashes. I have black hair and dark lashes, so at first, it seemed like any old black mascara upon application. But when I turned my head to the side in the natural light, I noticed my lashes were a subtle blue. I wanted some impact/color, but I actually decided I like the subtlety better, because I can wear it daily pretty much anywhere. It's not a neon blue that would jump out at you but be normal only at a rave or Coachella or something haha...it's totally wearable, but gives your makeup a little bit of intrigue in brighter lighting. Although the color looks nice, I don't think it does anything particularly special for my dark brown eyes/ make the whites of my eyes brighter---idk some people may choose color mascara for enhancing purposes.

The product itself doesn't volumize, maybe lengthens a teeny bit, but it holds my curl pretty well--which is good. They don't have the Royal Blue at every drugstore, but I got mine at target for $5 and some change. It was either this or the colored NYX mascaras.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

As quite a few people have said on Amazon.com,youtube,and other make up review sites,it's a *tiny* scimpy little brush,the smallest I have ever seen and had and your not going to get that much volume with it. The Maybelline describes it as adding length and volume.The blue color doesn't even hardly show up on my medium dark brown lashes even with 2 coats.

It's a whole size smaller than a regular size mascara brush.I had to wash an older Loreal Voluminous mascara brush that is a regular size brush (which is a great inexpensive mascara for volume) and put it into the Great Lash tube,but it doesn't fit well enough for the cap to screw on and close up,so now I had to wrap heavy duty foil around it with rubber bands also around it and put it in a plastic storage bag and hope that it doesn't dry up and or go bad!

on 4/29/2014 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

No matter what mascara I ever try, I always go back to this one. For the price, it is the least "clumpy" of mascaras. I try to spend more money to see if I can find a better one, but I just go back to Great Lash everytime. It's a classic I tell you!

on 4/29/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

You can see the blue in this mascara when it is applied, but primarily when the light shines on your eyes, or if you are out in daylight. It is blue, so of course it is not going to show up in the dark or areas with low light. This is a lovely mascara that looks very pretty on, and the blue shade is perfect. It leans towards navy blue, but is brighter, although not ultra bright by any means. This one blows away Benefit Bad Gal Blue, which ran on me terribly and did not stay on. Plus, it is much cheaper than the Benefit Bad Gal Blue and just much better quality. For some reason this is the only shade that does not smudge and transfer on me either. It must have something to do with the color pigments used. Yes, I recommend this one.

on 3/8/2014 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

It's a let down. I wanted a blue mascara for fun, for nights out and sometimes to change it up. You can hardly see any tinge of blue once it's on, and the mascara formula itself leaves a lot to be desired. Hardly any length or volume. I guess I will have to fold and get Benefit's mascara, which is why I purchased this in the first place, to see if I could avoid that.

on 8/12/2013 7:42:00 PM

Extremely Disappointed!! I was looking for that bright blue pop and didn't even come close. I had to put several coats on to get a bit of color and when it dried, you cannot tell at all. I have black lashes and I see no color at all. I tried the look with electric blue eyeshadow and it still doesn't show anything. I will try using a primer or white base first to see if I get a different result but I think this was made for blonde lashes. I wouldn't buy it again unless I can somehow get the color to show. BUMMER

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've seriously been wanting an electric blue mascara for MONTHS now. I was going to order the Dior Diorshow Mascara in Azure Blue, but as much as I love Diorshow, I really didn't want to pay that much. So I found this, and luckily it's awesome! It's pretty pigmented--it shows up on my black eyelashes, but it's even more intense when I use a white primer underneath. Looks fantastic with a matching eyeliner on my dark brown eyes! The brush is kind of small, but easy to use and it's great for the bottom lashes and inner lashes. Overall, great buy! And super cheap, too!

on 7/13/2013 4:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the first colored mascara I've tried and I'm not disappointed! I was hesitant at first in case it was just a gimmick, but since I have blonde eyelashes, the color shows up well. It's not too extreme, just a touch of a purple-y blue color. It makes my green eyes stand out more. The brush isn't the best as it's quite stiff, but I'm able to work with it. I would recommend this to anyone who's looking to experiment with a colored mascara. Since it's only about $5-$6, you won't be out too much money if you decide you don't like it.

on 11/21/2012 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my go to, mascara. It is more of a purplish blue rather than a neon blue like hard candys on peacock. I looove then both but I thinkthis one is my favorite by a, tennie bit. I looove the wand and the formula didn't clump on me even after three coats. I sometimes use a white primer if I really want it to stand out but most times I don't and it gives subtle color in regular light and is really notable in sunlight. I have gotten alot of compliments when wearing this and alot of is that blue mascara?!