MAC Russian Red

4.6

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this red, I've been trying it for over a year now and its such a great TRUE RED to me, its just what you envision when you read the color red, turn the page and the color hits you in the face.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This lipstick was my first and was almost last MAC lipstick.

Russian Red is a punch-in-the-face kind of matte red lipstick. It's bold, it's pigmented, and it is eye-catching. Things that are, for most, considered positives. Normally, these are things I would love.

It's just the formula and I did not get along. I found it, even with the Brick lipliner, to last 3 hours at max even without eating or drinking. During those 3 hours, my lips became almost painfully dry and flakey (even though I had exfoliated prior to application). On top of this, it faded unevenly, giving this weird ring around my lips.

The lipstick, like all MAC lipsticks, have a very strong vanilla scent. If you are sensitive to smells, it lingers for a while after application.

Between the lack of longevity and the uneven fading, this lipstick wasn't for me. A lot of people have a positive experience with it, and you may as well, but it just isn't the red for me.

Pros:

- Pigmented
- Vanilla scent (for those that like it)
- Great for pin-up couture

Cons:

- Vanilla scent (for those that are sensitive to smells)
- Fades unevenly
- Very drying
- Does not last long
- Requires lipliner

Wow. Beautiful lipstick! I had never really ventured the world of red lipsticks up until Russian Red. Most reds are too orange tone or I don't know, just not something I would wear. Russian Red has no awkward orange tones. It's a beautiful red.. mm like a blood red? That definitely does not sound nice but trust me, a nice wearable bold red lipstick. It complements my warm medium Indian skintone. Perfect for a night out. What makes this a 5 star lipstick is it's formula. It's matte and sets quickly. However it's not a crazy matte lipstick that is so uncomfortably drying. It's creamy just enough to apply nicely. I sometimes use MAC's Brick lipliner to create a neat application and help the lipstick's longevity (although Russian Red by itself lasts for a long time). I definitely suggest the usual exfoliation and moisturization of your lips for the best results.

My very first mac lipstick. Gorgeous color, looks great on me. I use it with mac lip pencil "Brick" and I look so glam whenever I put it on my lips. Definitely recommend, so classic!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

WoW!!!!! What a beautiful color. Great pigment. It is a matte color that stays all day. I did not need to retouch my lips through a long day of work. It feels buttery on your lips. I thought I would need a red lipliner to go with this baby but hell yeah this product alone looks amazing! The color is not too dark nor too light either. If you are into red lips you need this in your makeup drawer.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

The only red lipstick I own and one of my very first Mac lipsticks. I'm warm toned and this color is gorgeous on me! I would say this red is perfect for night outs while Ruby woo maybe better for daytime glamour because its more bright. I'm looking forward to purchasing Ruby woo because the two shades are different.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

My HG red lipstick. I have light skin with yellow/warm undertones, and this shade complements my skin tone so well. I love how dark and blue-toned it is. The formula is matte, but it's not a drying matte. It glides on smoothly, even though my lips are perpetually chapped, and lasts for while. You will get the dreaded lipstick "ring" if you eat lunch or something, but reapplying is easy because of the smooth texture. Also very transferable.

Amazing colour, long-lasting and I like the texture.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Absolutely my go-to red! Less drying than Ruby Woo but still matte and though they are similar in color, Russian Red is slightly deeper and a little more blue toned. All in all I absolutely adore this one.

If you're looking for that classic blue-toned bold red - this is your guy. Russian Red is absolutely beautiful on nearly every skin out there and it photographs brilliantly!

The finish is matte, but it is not as drying as say Ruby Woo or other Retro Matte lipsticks by MAC. I would say it applies very easily but you do need a matching lip liner in order to make it last even longer or define the edges.

I recommend Cherry lip liner by MAC, or simply use your lipbrush with a small amount of lipsticks on it to outline the shape of the mouth and then fill in from the bullet.

Russian Red is great for a fair or deep complexion, I just can't recommend it enough!

If you want to see lip swatches and similar shades to this from MAC you can check the blog review below. Hope it helps somehow!

Recommended for Medium Skin