October 25, 2014 | 1857 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 109 Small Contour Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 12:01:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I bought this to use as a contour brush. I'm still perfecting my contour skills, but this seems like a pretty good brush. It can be used to apply blush, loose powder, bronzer, highlighter, many uses! I recommend it, but I'm curious how the Nars brush compares for contouring. The shapes are very different.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by katy42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush probably 10 years ago when it was recommended to me for applying Studiofix compact foundation.
I've long since given up with Studiofix but now use this brush for applying loose powder. The small head allows far more precision than a larger "powder" brush and less waste of product. I would have to rush out to replace this brush if I lost it; my powder just doesn't go on as smoothly with any other method.
My brush sheds only occasionally so I'm surprised that so many people have had problems with it. Maybe they're manufactured differently now; a tip I picked up that works is to lay your brushes flat to dry, preferably hanging over the edge of a flat surface. Standing them up to dry causes moisture to get up the bristles into the base of the brush, weakening the glue and increasing shedding.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 5:15:00 AM More reviews by carmelitta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I kinda thought I'm outta my mind for splashing so much cash on a brush... but it's soo worth it! Def the best brush I own! I use this for blush, bronzer, and even highlighter.
It's the only brush I can get the kind of contour I want, and it makes applying everything so easy, products look super-blended, professionally done and it's just effortless to use, because it does everything for you! Everyone needs it in their lives, but especially if you ave no time in the morning to perfect your contouring/bronzing regime or you can never get it right and end up muddy, this will totally save you! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by hendenm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the only brush I can contour with and well. I used to use the Mac 168 but I stopped using it because the bristles were not dense enough and it was just too flimsy. The Mac 109 brush is a real workhorse and collects product well. I contour my cheekbones, forehead and sides and looks super. Each time I used the 168 my face looked muddy because the application was not good, so all in all, I feel the Mac 109 brush does the better job. It washes up well, although I will agree with a few reviews that occasionally it does shed but not much, so I can put up with this. My biggest gripe with mac brushes is the packaging, which comes in flimsy sellophane.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Susie0205

Contour, blush, highlight, can be done with only this brush, which I like! The hair is very denseable, can make strong pigments you want, only cons is it sheds sometimes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush, I've had it for about six years now. I use it to contour my cheeks, and it fits perfectly in that area. I also use it to put bronzer on other areas of the face like the forehead. I've also used it to apply blush, and powder foundation. It has natural hairs, and I haven't had any hairs shed from this brush. I clean it with baby shampoo, and rinse it with a tiny bit of conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 7:58:00 AM More reviews by zeyneperkal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

There is nothing to say about this brush it my favourite. Yes it sheds, it doesn't bother me. For appyling blush it is great even if you are not a make up artist!! It is great for contouring too of course. It is a must have.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have *HATED* this brush for years. I originally bought it for contouring, but the 168 blows it out of the water (IMO the 168 is the *best* contour brush out there). So the only other option I could possibly use it for was foundation and of course it shed little black hairs all over my face, as if the bristles were breaking and leaving the ends on my face. It has sat, unused, in my train case for who knows how many years.

So lately I was going through my things and decided to try it out with foundation. It shed all over and I remembered why I hated it. Since I was washing the rest of my brushes, I decided just to deal with this one too, so I washed it roughly and carelessly with Dr. Bronner's peppermint bar soap, practically beating the hell out of it because I didn't care about it anyway.

And you know what?
Now it's genius at applying my foundation (Estee Lauder DoubleWear light). I can't believe it. Not only does it not shed anymore, but the smaller amount of foundation that's needed to cover is amazing and the traceless application beats anything I could do with my fingers.

I can't say I'd rebuy, although I'd consider it since I'm so happy to have it now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by xoCarmina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this brush it it my go to highlighting and contouring brush. It blends everything out like a dream. The only gripe I have with it is that it sheds. I'm on the hunt for a brush like this that doesn't shed that still performs as well. I haven't found one yet.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2013 9:56:00 AM More reviews by eleanorch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm am NOT impressed with this at all. This sheds a lot! I read that this was normal and the shedding should stop after washing. So, I washed it. It still shed. I took it to the Mac counter in Harvey Nicks in Edinburgh and they refused to exchange it saying that I needed to wash it with Mac brush cleaner. So, I washed it with Mac brush cleaner. It still shed. The SA said I might need to wash it a few times. So, I washed it some more and it shed. I am quite fed up of picking loose bits of brush off my face as I paid a ridiculous $38 for this on a trip to the US. Try the COSTCO brushes instead. They are great at about $20 for a set of brushes that come before Christmas time. AND they don’t shed.