April 16, 2014 | 2046 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - 100% Color [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by clotaire

Despite this brand not receiving the greatest of reviews on MA, I decided to purchase a box. After colouring my naturally dark brown hair lighter a year ago, for the past 8 months I have been trying to get it back to its original colour. With other brands I find that there is a huge gap between their darkest brown shade and their 'natural black'. I bought 100% Colour in Brownish Black because the colour on the box was the cloest I've seen on any store-bought hair dye to my natural colour.

The colour came out as expected - slightly blacker than brown, but with definite rich brown hues in the light. I just did it last night so I'll have to report back on its fading tendencies.

The dye looks and smells like any other store-bought dye. Not great on the nostrils, but if you open a window or set up a fan, it's not going to kill you, and I found that the scent really didn't linger afterwards.

My only complaint so far is the way this dye made my hair feel. After using other brands (Garnier Nutrisse, Clairoil Nice 'n Easy, L'oreal Excellence), I found they left my hair feeling soft and manageable after the initial rinse. I tend to think that all these dyes are created equal, so I'm not sure if the problem is that this particular product is just harsher than others, or perhaps that the conditioner for this product is less moisturizing than others. Either way, I left the shower with my naturally straight, manageable hair feeling like straw and impossible to comb through. It's about 24 hours later and it still feels really dry.

Since I'm really happy to have finally found a "darkest brown" without being straight-up black, it's hard for me to completely disregard this product. However, given how awful my hair feels right now, I would not recommend this product if your hair is particularly dry or damaged already.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by flyingpenguin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

One week later and I'm STILL shampooing this dye out of my hair, and my hair still smells like it! Everyone knows how hair dye smells, so it's quite embarrassing to hug someone and have them be able to tell I just dyed my hair.
    - - - - -
    I got blue-black. Definitely gorgeous colour, but yea the blue'ness of it was gone after the first day.
    - - - - -
    I have naturally black/dark dark brown hair but I like the shock of pure black, so I've been dyeing my hair black for a few yrs now, and this is the worst dye I've used. I've never used a dye that I was still washing out days later. How embarrassing. I'm just lucky I haven't been caught in the rain yet!!
    - - - - -
    At this point I'm just trying to shampoo the heck out of my hair to get the dye all washed out to prevent any future embarrassments, then do an intensive conditioning treatment to make up for all that shampooing.
    - - - - -
    One bright side: the conditioner they give smells amazing. Bad: have none left because I used up a lot of it on the first day because of how badly this dye dried out my hair.
    - - - - -
    DON'T BUY. IT'S CHEAP AT THE STORE BECAUSE IT'S DISCONTINUED FOR BEING HORRIBLE.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by girrl65

To people complaining about how the color turned out, you can't go by what's on the box. It depends on your starting color. Sheeesh.
    So, I used the blue-black. I cannot remember the exact number but the line is now discontinued anyway.... I found that this dye was true to color, long lasting, and left my hair soft and shiny. It's important to use the conditioner included after washing out the dye. The conditioner not only smooths the cuticles of the hair to keep the dye in, it also keeps your hair from looking like a broom! I'm sad they DCed this line....the black was my go-to for summer (I use permanent in the summer because of fading from sun and water). If you happen to fing a box, try it!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2011 8:30:00 AM More reviews by Riyakou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just finished dying my hair with this product. I was going for a vibrant red as my current hair colour was slightly auburn. The bottle was tiny and I hardly had enough to mixture to cover my hair, my hair length is just past my shoulders and I had just had my hair thinned out. I applied the mixture and it smelt pleasant which a good thing and it washed off of my skin easily. The colour however went NO WHERE near red, when I went back to look at the progress when the dye was on it looked like it had trouble with the lighter parts of my hair. I have patches of my old hair colour which is most likely because there wasn't enough dye in the bottle and my hair just looks like I have dyed it a lighter brown. Very disappointing, if I wanted my hair a lighter brown I would've purchased that colour instead. I will have to re-dye my hair with another brand on the weekend so thank you Garnier for wasting my money and time.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2011 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Kunko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I got one of the darker red shades because I find that it is constantly going on sale (I can't remember the color at the moment, but is a red shade and is one of the few boxes with an Asian women on the box) and I simply love it. While my hair is not incredibly dark, it is not light either and this color works perfectly for me. I love the rich dark red I get from it that complements my skin tone so well, and it fades wonderfully as well. I will admit that the hair dye smells awful and is probably doing way to much damage to my hair, but it comes out the color on the box, and I am happy that for once a drug store dye gives me what it promises.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by emocheerleader

I bought two boxes of the Blue Black shade for 1 each in a sale in Boots, which seems to indicate that this range being discontinued in the UK for some reason :s.

As to why I got it; I had a couple of grey hairs in my naturally dark brown hair that had about 2-5 inches worth of fading, scruffy-looking blonde from when I went out to study in Japan last year; and I was getting fed up of waiting for my hair to grow out so I could have it cut a nicer shape than it currently is.
    I've been blue-black before and liked the colour, so I thought I'd try it again.

I made sure to do a test patch first and that came out fine.

_:_:_

The gloves - helpfully attached to the leaflet - are a really bizarre fit and clearly designed for someone with longer slimmer fingers than yours truly. They also ripped at the thumb seam and I ended up with purple marks all over my hands, as well as dirty nails which have only just faded!!

They dye, however, smells quite good if rather strong and is really easy to mix and apply. There was none of that dripping you often get with permanent dyes, but there was still quite a bit of mess! I think that'd be due to me moving about too much though.

The box held the developer bottle perfectly.

I think I left it to develop for longer than the box said it needed, but anyway... once I washed it out and used the conditioner, I was left with truly shiny, SOFT hair and vivid colour with a nice purply-blue base rather than a greyish-blue base that a lot of blue-black dyes seem to have.

_:_:_

I've just read someone else's review about how they prevent colour from fading, and feel a bit naughty now as I went to a party last night and had hairspray in. Oops.

Still, I'm loving it for now. Hopefully the blue doesn't fade too quickly!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2011 5:15:00 AM More reviews by butterbelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This dye did not work for me at all. To be fair, the reason why this colour pay off was so bad might not be due to the dye itself but the volume developer included in most box dyes from the drugstore.

All hair dyes need a colour dye and a colour-releasing agent (called developer). Most drugstore box dyes will only include a 20 volume developer, which will only lift/lighten your hair up to 2 shades from your original colour. This is why this dye (and all other drugstore box dyes) will not be effective if you want to get a red or a blonde or a light brown on your dark brown/black hair. I ended up with black hair that had a slight red tinge whenever I stepped into the sun. If you want a much lighter hair colour, please get a professional dye. Professional dyes are not that expensive to get online (same case for developers).

I have jet black Asian hair and wanted it to be a medium red colour. I ordered two tubes of Goldwell Topchic Permanent Hair Colour in shade 8RR (the higher the number = the lighter the hair colour will be) I mixed it with L'Oreal's 40 Volume Cream Developer. (the highest concentration of developer available) And it turned out the exactly the way I wanted it.

It also wasn't too damaging for my hair since I didn't have to bleach my hair first before applying the dye. All of this only cost me $20, which is much less expensive than a trip to the salon. Be sure to mix it in a plastic container. Application is easier with a brush than a bottle. And definitely wear gloves since you do not want these chemicals absorbed into your skin and the stains they leave are a pain in the butt to clean off.

There are also lots of great YouTube videos teaching people how to dye their own hair safely and effectively at home. StyleSuzi has a great DIY video on this using the Goldwell hair colour I talked about.

Good luck!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 3:23:00 PM More reviews by pmchaney

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this blue black is HOTNESS!!! i love it. i do not shampoo my hair for 3-4 days after i dye it. just rinse the dye out and apply conditioner. this seems to really "lock in" the color. by far the coolest looking black hair dye i've ever used. *LOVE* i'm NW25 :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2010 3:34:00 AM More reviews by ebyd82

I have been using Garnier's hair colour for a long time, and i have stuck to this one! Have tried many, many brands before as i have been colouring my hair for years.. and this one has to be one of the best. I use the 'Intense Dark Brown' and usually leave it on for about 1 hour (longer than im supposed to i know) but my hair always comes out feeling soft, well coloured, shiny.. have never found it to dry out my hair or leave it frizzy, as others have done.

The dye itself doesnt seem to stain the skin either, others i've tried were really bad for staining, and for days afterwards.
    It doesnt fade easily, lasts a long time for me, however i do colour every 5 weeks or so. perhaps it would be more likely to fade over a longer period of time?
    Price is good also.. and the shade is perfect for me. Thumbs up!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2010 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Princesstwenty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The smell is very strong.