Smashbox Brush Cleaner

4.3

This product does work and it's great for in-between brush cleaning b/c you don't need water to rinse brushes but it is pricey for what it is. There are other products out there that work just as well and that are heaper.

on 8/10/2011 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have gone through 2 bottles of this stuff and I really like it. It is not meant to shampoo your brushes. I wash my brushes every week. This is good for in between usages especially when I need to use my eyeshadow brushes with different colors. It does have the smell of rubbing alcohol. It is expensive but I like the packaging and the fact that it is travel friendly.

on 10/23/2009 8:47:00 PM

I like this product. It is great that it is in a spray bottle. My routine - - I use a clean white washcloth every morning when I apply my makeup. I place the washcloth over the edge of the sink basin and get to it. First, I place a generous spray of this brush cleaner on a corner of the white washcloth. Then, as I use brushes, I wipe them on the washcloth to sanitize them and remove eye shadow dust, . . . Keeps everything cleaner. I bleach all of my washcloths (14 in all) at the end of the week and they cycle back for use again (one cloth in the AM, one in the PM). Honestly, I don't see a big difference between various liquid brush cleaners, so I have used MAC in the Smashbox bottle, too. I'll probably replace with whichever cleaner is at the best price per ounce.

on 10/2/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

I bought this about 2 years ago thinking I would be a good girl and wash my brushes regularly. Not so!!! I have a Jane Iredale foundation brush that was just THICK with foundation powder, I mean sometimes I didn't even have to put it in the powder I could just brush it on my face (albeit i did have to press kind of hard onto my skin) but it would give me some coverage. And then finally, last night I had the urge to wash and wash my foundation brush with Pantene Pro V moisture renewal shampoo and Pureology zerosulfate purifying shampoo and FINALLY got all the foundation bits and chunks out (the sink water was the color of my skin lol euw!) I blowdried the brush a bit (which was probably really stupid-- but I wanted it dry asap) the ends started to fray and my brush got flyaways! So i ran and grabbed my unused brush cleaner thats been sitting in the closet for years and i sprayed a cotton swab and wiped it all over the brush and it seemed to help... This morning I checked the brush and it's clean and moisturized and soft, like brand new. Love <3

on 8/31/2009 5:20:00 AM

Love smashbox but am very disappointed in this. I thought that their attention to their brushes (worth their weight in gold) would mean that just as much attention would be paid to this product. I was wrong. It doesn't hold up to other similarly priced products such as BE's brush cleaner which is my favorite. This one is slower to dry and seems to leave behind some product so time between applications of different colors is lengthy and sometimes I just don't have the time to wait. There's a lot in the bottle and I'm not going to waste one drop but I'm not going to be buying this again. Lesson learned.

on 12/10/2008 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This worked great. It cleaned off all the make up on my brushes and I usually use only waterproof cream liners and colourstay foundations too. The only reason I said I would not buy this product again is that I have since discovered Clinique's Makeup Brush Cleanser. I find that the Clinique one is just as good as the Smashbox one (the formula, the spray bottle itself) except the Clinique one is cheaper AND you get a lot more formula. The clinique makeup brush cleanser is highly rated on this site. I highly recommend that if you like the spray bottle design, try out the Clinique one. I'm sticking with Clinique.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my favorite brush cleaner. I have tried several others, and none really got the job done. I use this to remove any excess powder and oils, then I wash the brushes in a solution with diluted tea tree oil and warm water with a couple drops of this stuff too. The cleaner conditions the brush and leaves it super soft and fresh. It's easy to use, and the packaging is perfect for travel and is super quick so all you have to do is spray and swipe.

on 5/27/2008 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This brush cleaner does a sufficient job superficially cleaning off my brushes after each use. However, the scent is completely noxious. I thought maybe the one I had was old and the scent just went off but I compared it to a brand new one and that one smelled just as bad. I literally gag and choke upon inhalation of it. If I use it, I have to hold my breath as I spray it and wait to breathe until the scent has dissipated from the air. The half a bottle I have left is unfortunately going down the drain. I have two Paula Dorf ones on backup and will just start using those instead.

I like the way this brush cleaner leaves my brushes feeling soft and conditioned, but I wish that it cleaned a little better. It lakes a while for me to get my brushes clean with this stuff, so I'm not sure if I will be buying this again

on 1/29/2008 12:57:00 AM

Nah, this doesn't get my brushes clean like the Mac one does.
Better packaging than Mac tho, it comes in a spray bottle.

Top Rated Smashbox Products